News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Beware the digital plate

Started by deathsled, December 01, 2020, 11:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34748524/digital-license-plates-coming-2021/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_cdb&utm_medium=email&date=120120&utm_campaign=nl21927905

Hey, great idea. You own the plate but the State owns the information contained on the plate. "I'm stolen" seems like a great idea until more creativity is introduced like "I went 10 miles per hour over the limit just now" for starters. Chime in with any other insidious messages that could be installed like maybe your political affiliation
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Side-Oilers

I saw the first one while driving through Beverly Hills last weekend. On a Range Rover.

I sure never want one, for all the GPS surveillance/insurance/big brother intrusion.

What about the states that require front and rear plates?  Are you charged double the price for the plates and activation?

What if you damage the plate (rear ended, etc.)?  What's the replacement cost?

I agree with Richard. I can't wait for the "approved" personal messages to begin showing up.  FB-like messages about the driver's honor student child, and other "who behind you gives a damn?" info.

It's us against the surveillance robots, and the robots seem to be winning. Even more reason to appreciate older cars.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

Quote from: Side-Oilers on December 01, 2020, 03:09:33 PM
I saw the first one while driving through Beverly Hills last weekend. On a Range Rover.

I sure never want one, for all the GPS surveillance/insurance/big brother intrusion.

What about the states that require front and rear plates?  Are you charged double the price for the plates and activation?

What if you damage the plate (rear ended, etc.)?  What's the replacement cost?

I agree with Richard. I can't wait for the "approved" personal messages to begin showing up.  FB-like messages about the driver's honor student child, and other "who behind you gives a damn?" info.

It's us against the surveillance robots, and the robots seem to be winning. Even more reason to appreciate older cars.
I totally agree. So cool that you can casually say you were driving through Beverly Hills. Despite the flaws asserted about California it still seems like a dreamy state to me. There is something magical about the place.

Here in Washington they are really pushing to have transponders loaded on every car.

This way they can bill you for every  mile you travel.

Yes, they will be able to record your speed, and whether or not you come to a complete stop at the neighborhood stop sign, but they promise, cross their hearts, they will not start mailing traffic fines to you.

98SVT - was 06GT

Wait until OBD3 hits. Not only will they be able to mail you a speeding ticket they will be able to shut your car off if you decide to ignore a check engine light or if your insurance or registration is expired.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Wow great idea !

NOT, another freedom that we are loosing as they will be tracking and documenting every movement/ stops/ speed  constantly.I

"You own the plate, but the message and plate number are owned by the state," Boston said. "Think about it as a digital display until it's actually activated and provisioned, and then it becomes a compliance tool."
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

deathsled

I had another great idea. Since there is now a high probability of a social credit system coming to this country to mirror China's, the government can also deactivate your plate for wrong think.

The Social Credit System (Chinese: 社会信用体系; pinyin: shèhuì xìnyòng tǐxì) is a national reputation system being developed by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), under CCP General Secretary Xi Jinping's administration.[1][2][3] The program initiated regional trials in 2009, before launching a national pilot with eight credit scoring firms in 2014.[4][5] In 2018, these efforts were centralized under the People's Bank of China with participation from the eight firms.[4] By 2020,[needs update] it is intended to standardize the assessment of citizens' and businesses' economic and social reputation, or 'Social Credit'.[1][6][7][8][9][10]

The social credit initiative calls for the establishments of unified record system for individuals, businesses and the government to be tracked and evaluated for trustworthiness.[11][12][13][14] Initial reports suggested that the system utilized numerical score as the reward and punishment mechanism;[15][14] recent reports suggest there are in fact multiple, different forms of the social credit system being experimented with.[16][17] Numerical system has been implemented only in several regional pilot programs, while the nationwide regulatory method has been based primarily on blacklisting and whitelisting.[5][16][18] The credit system is closely related to China's mass surveillance systems such as Skynet,[19][20][21] which incorporates facial recognition system, big data analysis technology, AI and Project Maven.[22][23][15][24][25]

By 2018, some restrictions had been placed on citizens which state-owned media described as the first step toward creating a nationwide social credit system.[26][27][28][9][29][30] As of November 2019, in addition to dishonest and fraudulent financial behavior, other behavior that some cities have officially listed as negative factors of credit ratings includes playing loud music or eating in rapid transits,[31] violating traffic rules such as jaywalking and red-light violations,[32][33] making reservations at restaurants or hotels but not showing up,[34] failing to correctly sort personal waste,[35][36][37] fraudulently using other people's public transportation ID cards,[38] etc; on the other hand, behavior listed as positive factors of credit ratings includes donating blood, donating to charity, volunteering for community services, and so on.[39][40][41]

As of June 2019, according to the National Development and Reform Commission of China, 26.82 million air tickets as well as 5.96 million high-speed rail tickets had been denied to people who were deemed "untrustworthy (失信)" (on a blacklist), and 4.37 million "untrustworthy" people had chosen to fulfill their duties required by the law.[42][43] In general, it takes 2–5 years to be removed from the blacklist, but early removal is also possible if the blacklisted person has done enough remedies.[44][45] Certain personal information of the blacklisted people is deliberately made accessible to the society and is displayed online as well as at various public venues such as movie theaters and buses,[45][46][47][48] while some cities have also banned children of "untrustworthy" residents from attending private schools and even universities.[49][50][51][52][53] On the other hand, people with high credit ratings may receive rewards such as less waiting time at hospitals and governmental agencies, discounts at hotels, greater likelihood of receiving employment offers and so on.[38][39][40][54]

Supporters of the Credit System claim that the system helps to regulate social behavior, improve the "trustworthiness" which includes paying taxes and bills on time and promote traditional moral values,[55][56][57] while critics of the system claim that it oversteps the rule of law and infringes the legal rights of residents and organizations, especially the right to reputation, the right to privacy as well as personal dignity, and that the system may be a tool for comprehensive government surveillance and for suppression of dissent from the Communist Party of China.[58][59][60][61]

FL SAAC

Some say can't happen,  won't happen here, all I got to say and been saying is, The times they are a-changing...the prophet Bob D.

Quote from: deathsled on December 02, 2020, 10:31:26 AM
I had another great idea. Since there is now a high probability of a social credit system coming to this country to mirror China's, the government can also deactivate your plate for wrong think.

The Social Credit System (Chinese: 社会信用体系; pinyin: shèhuì xìnyòng tǐxì) is a national reputation system being developed by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), under CCP General Secretary Xi Jinping's administration.[1][2][3] The program initiated regional trials in 2009, before launching a national pilot with eight credit scoring firms in 2014.[4][5] In 2018, these efforts were centralized under the People's Bank of China with participation from the eight firms.[4] By 2020,[needs update] it is intended to standardize the assessment of citizens' and businesses' economic and social reputation, or 'Social Credit'.[1][6][7][8][9][10]

The social credit initiative calls for the establishments of unified record system for individuals, businesses and the government to be tracked and evaluated for trustworthiness.[11][12][13][14] Initial reports suggested that the system utilized numerical score as the reward and punishment mechanism;[15][14] recent reports suggest there are in fact multiple, different forms of the social credit system being experimented with.[16][17] Numerical system has been implemented only in several regional pilot programs, while the nationwide regulatory method has been based primarily on blacklisting and whitelisting.[5][16][18] The credit system is closely related to China's mass surveillance systems such as Skynet,[19][20][21] which incorporates facial recognition system, big data analysis technology, AI and Project Maven.[22][23][15][24][25]

By 2018, some restrictions had been placed on citizens which state-owned media described as the first step toward creating a nationwide social credit system.[26][27][28][9][29][30] As of November 2019, in addition to dishonest and fraudulent financial behavior, other behavior that some cities have officially listed as negative factors of credit ratings includes playing loud music or eating in rapid transits,[31] violating traffic rules such as jaywalking and red-light violations,[32][33] making reservations at restaurants or hotels but not showing up,[34] failing to correctly sort personal waste,[35][36][37] fraudulently using other people's public transportation ID cards,[38] etc; on the other hand, behavior listed as positive factors of credit ratings includes donating blood, donating to charity, volunteering for community services, and so on.[39][40][41]

As of June 2019, according to the National Development and Reform Commission of China, 26.82 million air tickets as well as 5.96 million high-speed rail tickets had been denied to people who were deemed "untrustworthy (失信)" (on a blacklist), and 4.37 million "untrustworthy" people had chosen to fulfill their duties required by the law.[42][43] In general, it takes 2–5 years to be removed from the blacklist, but early removal is also possible if the blacklisted person has done enough remedies.[44][45] Certain personal information of the blacklisted people is deliberately made accessible to the society and is displayed online as well as at various public venues such as movie theaters and buses,[45][46][47][48] while some cities have also banned children of "untrustworthy" residents from attending private schools and even universities.[49][50][51][52][53] On the other hand, people with high credit ratings may receive rewards such as less waiting time at hospitals and governmental agencies, discounts at hotels, greater likelihood of receiving employment offers and so on.[38][39][40][54]

Supporters of the Credit System claim that the system helps to regulate social behavior, improve the "trustworthiness" which includes paying taxes and bills on time and promote traditional moral values,[55][56][57] while critics of the system claim that it oversteps the rule of law and infringes the legal rights of residents and organizations, especially the right to reputation, the right to privacy as well as personal dignity, and that the system may be a tool for comprehensive government surveillance and for suppression of dissent from the Communist Party of China.[58][59][60][61]
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

mark p

"...critics of the system claim that it oversteps the rule of law and infringes the legal rights of residents and organizations, especially the right to reputation, the right to privacy..."

^^^ do they have those in China?  ??? ::)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

427hunter

People are sheep, sadly your only hope to avoid our "brave new world" is to find a rural place to live and hope they just don't find you.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Side-Oilers

Yes, and the sheeple are willingly letting it be done to them/us.   The mandatory human chip-implant probably won't be many decades away.

As I am now entering my crotchety years, I dislike the latest high-tech as much as I do having kids riding their new fangled penny-farthing bikes across my lawn!

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

deathsled

Shelby6t5 Mike HHI, SC

(Get) a country place no one knows about
Outside the "wire"...
Strip away
the old debris...a brilliant red Barchetta,
From a better vanished time.
Fire up the willing engine...

M.

Quote from: 427hunter on December 02, 2020, 02:59:04 PM
People are sheep, sadly your only hope to avoid our "brave new world" is to find a rural place to live and hope they just don't find you.

Quote from: Side-Oilers on December 02, 2020, 03:21:38 PM
Yes, and the sheeple are willingly letting it be done to them/us.   The mandatory human chip-implant probably won't be many decades away.

those who would trade privacy for a bit of security deserve neither privacy nor security.

Of course, now those who worship at the altar of gargantuan government will tell you this doesn't apply to today's world.