News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

points...

Started by hurlbird, December 01, 2020, 04:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

My experience and history has been GM. In that world points really need to be Delco as all other are junk. What is the recommendation for my GT 350? Preferred part/part number? Im staying away from Petronix. Thanks

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

6s1640

Hi Hurlbird,

There is another thread that discusses the same similar topic.  See

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=10492.msg88740#msg88740

The NAPA recommendations (for dual point distributor) are:

NAPA Part No.'s For Dual Point Distributor Tune-Up
   Distributor Cap           ECH FA79 ($15.99)
   Points                         ECH CS756 (Two req'd, CS for Carroll Shelby   ;))  ($18.49)
   Condenser                 ECH FA66 ($17.49)
   Rotor                          ECH FA157 ($9.29)

Total Website price $79.75.  NAPA takes AAA discount if you have it.  Hope that helps

Cory

hurlbird

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on December 28, 2020, 01:51:13 AM
Hi Hurlbird,

There is another thread that discusses the same topic.  See

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=10492.msg88740#msg88740

The NAPA recommendations are:

NAPA Part No.'s For Dual Point Distributor Tune-Up
   Distributor Cap           ECH FA79 ($15.99)
   Points                         ECH CS756 (Two req'd, CS for Carroll Shelby   ;))  ($18.49)
   Condenser                 ECH FA66 ($17.49)
   Rotor                          ECH FA157 ($9.29)

Total Website price $79.75.  NAPA takes AAA discount if you have it.  Hope that helps

Cory
68 GT350 distributor of the OP's engine is single point and the condenser will typically will have a different mounting bracket compared to the duel point dist. There may be may fitment problems using a typical duel point condenser. The duel points style may be different then single point set too. I believe the points have different part numbers when from Ford. Cap and rotor are the same however.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Cobrask8

Spent many years working on points cars in the shop. We were a dealer for Standard Ignition Products, and thier top line parts were the "Blue Streak" parts. Back then, one of the best replacement parts. Been many years, have forgotten the part numbers.

BTW - a few years back I gave Bill Collins a box full of Ford Points. Single, dual, and Accel parts.

Dan Case

Quote from: Cobrask8 on December 29, 2020, 12:19:22 PM
Spent many years working on points cars in the shop. We were a dealer for Standard Ignition Products, and thier top line parts were the "Blue Streak" parts. Back then, one of the best replacement parts. Been many years, have forgotten the part numbers.

BTW - a few years back I gave Bill Collins a box full of Ford Points. Single, dual, and Accel parts.

+1 for Standard Motor Products® (SMP) ignition parts for distributors for 1960s to early 1970s performance and race applications. I suffered numerous failures in Boss Mustangs with Ford service parts, especially condensers. The local racers recommended the heavy duty "Blue Streak" line of parts and I have never had a failure even running some engines up to 8,500 rpm. Former Thunderbolt racer Pat Gray and I tested various brands on his test machine one day. We tested up to equivalent to 9,000 engine rpm and the only trouble free points were the heavy duty SMP points.  We don't drive the black Cobra as much as we use to and track days are over but the points and condenser in use were installed November 18, 1988 according to my service log. I still run up to 7,000ish rpm occassionally. At least parts made back then were really good ones. I bought enough sets to take care of all my projected car future projects at the time. The 1988 part number for points was FD8285XV. I use their points cam lubricant also, doesn't take much.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

s2ms

I believe the correct NAPA parts for a 68 single point distributor are: CS755 points and FA82 condenser.
Dave - 6S1757

rhjanes

+2 for Standard Motor Parts.  I sold a lot as I put myself thru college in the mid to late 1970's.  We were a Speed Shop also and sold Mallory and Accell.  We'd try to sell those to people with Mallory or Accell Distributors but were not always successful.  I was never on commission so I didn't care to sell the HP stuff to a kid with stock distributor. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork