Author Topic: Photo Archive - The Henry Ford  (Read 9413 times)

Road Reptile

• View Profile
Re: Photo Archive - The Henry Ford
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 05:36:25 PM »
Hi to all 67 fans,
I am looking at this white car and think it is #0050 which was used plenty by magazines as a P.R. car. Details that help are trunk lid fit esp left side to end cap....
It would be much easier if someone would be able to date this picture...without a date we will still be guessing. The theme was a very interesting design and I think that is why people used it as a backdrop for photos. Still cool after all these years to see this stuff show up!! Thanks for sharing.
Regards R.R.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 05:58:47 PM »
Hi to all 67 fans,
I am looking at this white car and think it is #0050 which was used plenty by magazines as a P.R. car. Details that help are trunk lid fit esp left side to end cap....
It would be much easier if someone would be able to date this picture...without a date we will still be guessing. The theme was a very interesting design and I think that is why people used it as a backdrop for photos. Still cool after all these years to see this stuff show up!! Thanks for sharing.
Regards R.R.

Anthony, I agree with your thinking on this - for what that's worth = 0
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Szabo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 06:07:19 PM »
The Henry Ford Archiv dated the Front View Pic for 1965

the rear view pic has no data information ...

You Guys noticed the "Sensor" on the front right triangular window ?

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to post the photos that I reference below, but this message keeps coming up: The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

I have made the photos as small as possible.  Anyway, take my word regarding what I say below.

I do not believe this is car 0050.  Here is why.  In the first photo of the "unknown" car, look at the nose attachment hardware in the upper grille opening; there are 3 bolts/screws.  Now look at the second photo of car 0050 which was taken by Sports Car Graphic on 12/13/66; there are 4 bolts/screws in the upper grille opening.  Thoughts?

Also, there is no way that 1965 date on the LAX photo is correct, right?

Thanks,
Eric

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 06:44:34 PM »
Captions and descriptions seem to not to be exact or correct in all cases. Likely a worker (this is allot of work) copy and pasting as well as basing some of the details on similar or shared pictures from the same source
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 09:50:13 PM »
Captions and descriptions seem to not to be exact or correct in all cases. Likely a worker (this is allot of work) copy and pasting as well as basing some of the details on similar or shared pictures from the same source

yes

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to post the photos that I reference below, but this message keeps coming up: The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

I have made the photos as small as possible.  Anyway, take my word regarding what I say below.

I do not believe this is car 0050.  Here is why.  In the first photo of the "unknown" car, look at the nose attachment hardware in the upper grille opening; there are 3 bolts/screws.  Now look at the second photo of car 0050 which was taken by Sports Car Graphic on 12/13/66; there are 4 bolts/screws in the upper grille opening.  Thoughts?

Also, there is no way that 1965 date on the LAX photo is correct, right?

Thanks,
Eric
Eric you're right, didn't look closely enough.

Here are the two cars; upper grill openings and the 3 vs 4 fasteners

Yes I get the same "upload Folder" message will post later...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:51:03 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 08:33:29 PM »
Royce, I couldn't find the photo you are talking about, but is it this one that I have in my files ? I "believe" ? ? this is the  chassis

test mule for the GT350, was talked about here before, maybe on forum 1. I have more pics of it.

Mike

(photo: Dave friedman)

Back to the Falcon. What a cool picture.  More Falcon history.

As a preproduction car, Ford tested this Falcon extensively with different tweaks and components, like the Monroe adjustable race-inspired shock absorbers the car retains today. The Falcon was also fitted with lightweight fiberglass doors, (with roll-up windows) front fenders, hood and deck lid

Falcon was prepped for Trans-Am racing to SCCA FIA-GT homologation standards in 1967 and piloted by Shelby hired gun Bob Johnson. By this time, Johnson was no stranger to road racing Fords and had plenty of seat time in Cobras and Shelby Mustangs. He and his crew chief Tom Greatorex, snagged all the speed parts they could from Shelby’s R-model program for the Falcon, including the HiPo 289 and the rest of the driveline, steering and suspension components, and a Smiths speedometer from a Cobra. The car wore Johnson’s signature No. 33 on the doors and raced at Sebring, Mid-Ohio and national events throughout the Midwest. After the 1967 Trans-Am race, Carroll Shelby called Johnson to his office and proclaimed, “We’re trying to sell Mustangs, not Falcons! Get rid of that car or you can find another team to drive for!”

https://www.rcnmag.com/blog/bob-johnson-ford-falcon-races-again-after-30-years

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 09:58:51 PM »
^^^ thanks for the link and rest of the story.

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2020, 10:13:54 PM »
From the article:

"By the early 1970s, the Falcon had gone through one collector and was onto the next. Paul Michelsen purchased the car for $1,800 in 1975 and flat-towed it from Michigan to Illinois behind a ’66 Shelby GT350."

Would hope that there is a photo of that somewhere or us to see. 8)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2020, 11:47:14 PM »
From the article:

"By the early 1970s, the Falcon had gone through one collector and was onto the next. Paul Michelsen purchased the car for $1,800 in 1975 and flat-towed it from Michigan to Illinois behind a ’66 Shelby GT350."

Would hope that there is a photo of that somewhere or us to see. 8)

There was this, looks to be a white Mustang (Shelby?) towing the Falcon...

(Also was able to post the two front-end images in reply #20 above)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 11:52:45 PM by JD »

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2020, 09:15:33 AM »
Royce, I couldn't find the photo you are talking about, but is it this one that I have in my files ? I "believe" ? ? this is the  chassis
test mule for the GT350, was talked about here before, maybe on forum 1. I have more pics of it.

Mike

Is this possibly the Falcon that was fitted with IRS as part of the evaluation of leaf spring suspension vs IRS?
I was under the impression besides the Tour de France red HiPo notchback (Alan Mann) car that was retrofitted with IRS there was also a Falcon with "Cragar" style AL wheels??
I know the original intent was Ford was considering releasing the fastback body with IRS or at least a RPO IRS,
but the testing done by Miles / SAI at Riverside showed they could accomplish nearly the same track performance with production leaf spring suspension.

just looking for clarity on various different story threads

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2020, 11:47:17 AM »
Very interesting thank you!

Mike

Back to the Falcon. What a cool picture.  More Falcon history.

As a preproduction car, Ford tested this Falcon extensively with different tweaks and components, like the Monroe adjustable race-inspired shock absorbers the car retains today. The Falcon was also fitted with lightweight fiberglass doors, (with roll-up windows) front fenders, hood and deck lid

Falcon was prepped for Trans-Am racing to SCCA FIA-GT homologation standards in 1967 and piloted by Shelby hired gun Bob Johnson. By this time, Johnson was no stranger to road racing Fords and had plenty of seat time in Cobras and Shelby Mustangs. He and his crew chief Tom Greatorex, snagged all the speed parts they could from Shelby’s R-model program for the Falcon, including the HiPo 289 and the rest of the driveline, steering and suspension components, and a Smiths speedometer from a Cobra. The car wore Johnson’s signature No. 33 on the doors and raced at Sebring, Mid-Ohio and national events throughout the Midwest. After the 1967 Trans-Am race, Carroll Shelby called Johnson to his office and proclaimed, “We’re trying to sell Mustangs, not Falcons! Get rid of that car or you can find another team to drive for!”

https://www.rcnmag.com/blog/bob-johnson-ford-falcon-races-again-after-30-years
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2020, 07:50:23 PM »

Mike

Is this possibly the Falcon that was fitted with IRS as part of the evaluation of leaf spring suspension vs IRS?
I was under the impression besides the Tour de France red HiPo notchback (Alan Mann) car that was retrofitted with IRS there was also a Falcon with "Cragar" style AL wheels??
I know the original intent was Ford was considering releasing the fastback body with IRS or at least a RPO IRS,
but the testing done by Miles / SAI at Riverside showed they could accomplish nearly the same track performance with production leaf spring suspension.

just looking for clarity on various different story threads

jim p

That would be some interesting info to discover.

The wheels on the original Falcon picture caught my attention.

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2020, 10:02:57 PM »
Here are some other photos I have of that Falcon at Riverside, I think these were up on forum 1 ?

Is that Bondurant ? in the chair, and is that the same guy in his lap as on the trunk in my first image of the Falcon in the thread.

If it is Bondurant maybe he can answer the question about the rear suspension ?

I don't know if you can tell from the shot of the car on track anything about the rear suspension, some is visible ?

Is that Miles in the King Cobra in the colour shot ?

Mike

(photos: Dave Friedman I think)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:22:40 PM by honker »

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2020, 10:08:20 PM »
Are these the same wheels as on the Falcon in this shot of Comstock Mustang at Mosport in 1966

Mike

(photo:Friedman)

We are getting away from Road Reptiles original question that started the thread  ::)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:10:28 PM by honker »