Author Topic: Photo Archive - The Henry Ford  (Read 9416 times)

kranky

• View Profile
Re: Photo Archive - The Henry Ford
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2020, 12:22:33 PM »
Optional Studebaker magnesium wheels on both the Comstock R-model and the Falcon.  I think your date is incorrect on the Mosport 1966 photo....Comstock racing only had those "Studebaker wheels" (15x6) on for an event or two in early 1965 and switched to the standard American Racing magnesium wheels (15x7) from then on.  The same "Studebaker wheels" were run on the Comstock Notchback for only a few races also.

The Falcon had the IRS rear suspension and was a prototype used for testing only....an idea that was being kicked around as something to be done to the Shelby GT350 since the platform between both cars was similar, but the expense/costs and lap times proved otherwise to the accountants back at Ford.  Also, as an educated guess....I don't think this IRS Falcon had anything to do with the Bob Johnson Falcon that he ran in 1967....the extra expense to convert it back to stock rear fenders (IRS Falcon has cut rear fenders for easy wheel replacement) and a standard straight axle rear end, which would make it legal for Sedan racing....?

Yes on Ken Miles in the Cooper Cobra.

No on Bob Bondurant in the chair, etc.

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2020, 01:59:06 PM »
Are these the same wheels as on the Falcon in this shot of Comstock Mustang at Mosport in 1966

Mike

(photo:Friedman)

We are getting away from Road Reptiles original question that started the thread  ::)

Not to worry Mike...RR's post was is from page 2. The OP posted a link to the photo collection with no questions, just for our information.
I also have your same photo of 5r096 off the road course, from a different source (Ford Images), along with one or two other photos from the same race event/weekend.
My files have these date as June 3, 1966.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »
Optional Studebaker magnesium wheels on both the Comstock R-model and the Falcon.  I think your date is incorrect on the Mosport 1966 photo....Comstock racing only had those "Studebaker wheels" (15x6) on for an event or two in early 1965 and switched to the standard American Racing magnesium wheels (15x7) from then on.  The same "Studebaker wheels" were run on the Comstock Notchback for only a few races also.

The Falcon had the IRS rear suspension and was a prototype used for testing only....an idea that was being kicked around as something to be done to the Shelby GT350 since the platform between both cars was similar, but the expense/costs and lap times proved otherwise to the accountants back at Ford.  Also, as an educated guess....I don't think this IRS Falcon had anything to do with the Bob Johnson Falcon that he ran in 1967....the extra expense to convert it back to stock rear fenders (IRS Falcon has cut rear fenders for easy wheel replacement) and a standard straight axle rear end, which would make it legal for Sedan racing....?

Yes on Ken Miles in the Cooper Cobra.

No on Bob Bondurant in the chair, etc.

Kranky, as noted in my reply to Honker/Mike I have the same GT350 photo noted at the Mosport Players 200 back in June 1966.
I also show one magazine photo noted from spring 1965 at St Jovite, but the same photo was found elsewhere noting it from September 19, 1965...both with those unique rims.
My confidence is not high on the 5r096 history/info with these dated conflicts, but the majority of 1965 photos show the typical R model rims.
I'm not very familiar with the Falcon being discussed.

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2020, 07:35:08 PM »
Here are some other photos I have of that Falcon at Riverside, I think these were up on forum 1 ?

Is that Bondurant ? in the chair, and is that the same guy in his lap as on the trunk in my first image of the Falcon in the thread.

If it is Bondurant maybe he can answer the question about the rear suspension ?

I don't know if you can tell from the shot of the car on track anything about the rear suspension, some is visible ?

Is that Miles in the King Cobra in the colour shot ?

Mike

(photos: Dave Friedman I think)

Great stuff!   Love the Falcon. Side exhaust,  air intakes under the front bumper, and big a$$ antenna and a go pro on the windshield.  :)

I'd say the same guy is on the lap and on the falcon.

As the OP, just a source of photos, discuss what you want.  No rules here...

kranky

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2020, 10:48:28 AM »
My mistake, I was thinking of a different race.

In Richstang's photo....it appears to be George Eaton's 427 Cobra fender with a sticker on the headlight parked next to the Comstock R-model?

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2020, 12:20:12 PM »
My mistake, I was thinking of a different race.

In Richstang's photo....it appears to be George Eaton's 427 Cobra fender with a sticker on the headlight parked next to the Comstock R-model?

Yes, I believe that is csx3017 with 5r096.
Here's another photo on the hauler from an unknown date / location.

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2021, 12:50:48 AM »
Good stuff!   8)