Author Topic: 66 Shelby Continuation 2389 For Sale  (Read 2281 times)

rcgt350

• View Profile
66 Shelby Continuation 2389 For Sale
« on: December 03, 2020, 12:05:18 PM »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 66 Shelby Continuation 2389 For Sale
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 01:26:53 PM »
There is some BS in the description .Big Surprise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 02:22:35 AM »

The ad states it was made between 1980-82 and I see no claim that it's an original car, can you share with us what they are lying about and why? Just interested...
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 07:57:00 AM »
After reading the description a couple of things jumped out, such as a reference to an S Shelby which is just a street Shelby that would have had a HIPO 289 in it. No harm- No foul and ... No lies. We all now recall Shelbys exploits when it came to him finding, (MIRACULOUSLY) Original Cobra frames sitting out in the desert that someone forgot about, or NOS engines sourced out to only him, but on this one it is a rebuilt Hipo, nothing more nothing less. Continuation cars are nothing more then day 2 cars that many of  us were building back in the day or currently, just lacking the tag. Nice car, I have built many similar cars over the years. Good luck to him on the sale!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 04:59:20 PM »

The ad states it was made between 1980-82 and I see no claim that it's an original car, can you share with us what they are lying about and why? Just interested...
Since you asked -The Paxton installed by Beverly Hills Motors prior to delivery is alleged without concrete documents and only here say is highly suspect and so is the alleged NOS 289 hipo engine story is a non fact contrary to what many owners have found when a continuation engines were opened up for the first time.Yes I used to own one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

trotrof1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 08:32:50 PM »
BOB... on your car was the engine a plain jane internally or was it built up partially like thicker main caps, hipo rods, ect.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 09:38:04 PM »
11,000 miles on a NOS HiPo and it needed to be bored 40 over????
CS reactivated his manufacturer license to build these. The cars were to be at least 80% new parts for them to be called new. There was at least 1 new NOS HiPo motor still in a factory crate that they used for a photo. Brunk and Beverly Hills Mustang did some real shoddy work on all 12 cars.
I knew a guy who worked for CS at the time and he spent about 2 weeks on each of his 4 cars just to make them drivable.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 10:39:27 PM »
BOB... on your car was the engine a plain jane internally or was it built up partially like thicker main caps, hipo rods, ect.
On mine it was a standard 289 shortblock and flywheel with hipo heads ,dampener and cam. I never had the heads off to measure the bore but suspect it was 30 or more over based on other ones I heard about.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 10:03:19 AM »
These types of cars seem to run in the GRAY area, and most everyone has a strong opinion of them one way or another. They used to be called Fakiedoos, Wanabees, Clones,Replicas and a host of other names because no one knew how to present them in a way that was positive. Ol Shel always had a plan when money was needed, and came up with a (continuation) moniker to put his name on anything that someone was willing to pay for. Trouble here is, he chose Beverly Hills mustang for this adventure instead of lets say Cobra automotive. The cars turned out by different companies are a radical departure from one another and this adventure was not highly revered at the time or even possibly now. The 12 from what has been told, were A codes C codes and were not the highly sought after original K code 4 speed verts. Nice cars with nice parts on them, just evolved at a different time frame then the coveted 1960s SHELBY products we all love. My 2 cents worth on these cars others will have their thoughts. A .040 overbore tells my one of three things, an engine that was neglected or hurt or an unknowledgeable rebuilder. Cool car... The market will determine where it sells for. As always good luck on the sale of the car and its new ownership.