News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT500 fuel pump filter canister

Started by shelbydoug, December 05, 2020, 07:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

I have two different ones here.

One is zinc cad plated with a hex pattern on the bottom of the cup.

The other is painted white with red instructions printed on the cup. It has a 12 notch pattern on the bottom of the cup.

Are either of these combinations right? Maybe they are both wrong?

Were any of these cups chromed?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

I would expect the fuel pump filter cannister to be the white one with Autolite used in 1967 only. No chrome ones ever. Pump is Carter high performance 4442S.

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 05, 2020, 07:45:56 AM

The other is painted white with red instructions printed on the cup. It has a 12 notch pattern on the bottom of the cup.

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

The one assemblyline fuelpump canister typically used is like the FOMOCO fuelpump canister being reproduced now with the exception it had the AUTOLITE tradematk that I pulled a picture from the NPD website.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Royce Peterson on December 05, 2020, 10:00:04 AM
I would expect the fuel pump filter cannister to be the white one with Autolite used in 1967 only. No chrome ones ever. Pump is Carter high performance 4442S.

Royce, correct on the fuel canister but the fuelpump was instead a C6OE 9350 C  CAR bure TER marked 3909S or 4314 S fuel pump.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 05, 2020, 11:32:40 AM

The one assemblyline fuelpump canister typically used is like the FOMOCO fuelpump canister being reproduced now with the exception it had the AUTOLITE tradematk that I pulled a picture from the NPD website.

I haven't looked yet but by the way you are talking, the only label being reproduced right now is the FoMoCo one in the picture you posted?

Was there a special socket made for those that was maybe in one of those Rotunda kits?

Why weren't the 427 Cobras using that set up? Was there a clearance problem with it for them?

It would seem that if the oil filter cleared the chassis, the fuel filter canister should also?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Here's a picture of a pump with Autolite filter canister.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 05, 2020, 03:54:17 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 05, 2020, 11:32:40 AM

I haven't looked yet but by the way you are talking, the only label being reproduced right now is the FoMoCo one in the picture you posted?

Was there a special socket made for those that was maybe in one of those Rotunda kits?

Why weren't the 427 Cobras using that set up? Was there a clearance problem with it for them?

It would seem that if the oil filter cleared the chassis, the fuel filter canister should also?
No reproduction of the Autolite labeled canister presently. Yes there is a special socket to take them loose however I find the small diameter band type tool(like oil filter tool) to have the most success. You typically have to use some care so that you don't risk scuffing the canister. For example I use a thin sheet of rubber inside the band for protection . I  am not 100% sure of the reason why the different filters used . Possible A/C applications on GT500 would have had a effect .For those reading the duel four carbs didn't have a filter at the carb like other single four applications so the GT500 had to use a fuel filter at the pump.  The 427 fuel filter will work on the 428 . The fuel line routing from the pump may be different at the pump depending on which pump you use. Only the integral fuel filter pump was used on regular production 67 GT500  .

shelbydoug

Autolite, '67 only.

Nah. '67 GT500's aren't  a Royal Pain in the butt. No way. They're just very sensitive and misunderstood?  ::)

Thanks guys. Now I have Autolite envy.  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

The dealer tool is a stamped sheet metal thing with the handle welded on so not literally a socket.

There's a NOS pump on eBay right now with the correct Autolite filter. It's listed as being for '63 Thunderbird with 352 engine so obviously the seller is misinformed......

shelbydoug

Quote from: Royce Peterson on December 05, 2020, 07:35:33 PM
The dealer tool is a stamped sheet metal thing with the handle welded on so not literally a socket.

There's a NOS pump on eBay right now with the correct Autolite filter. It's listed as being for '63 Thunderbird with 352 engine so obviously the seller is misinformed......
From what I see with the box and all the pump is probably from 63-4 and I'll take a guess an say the cup maybe got wrecked and changed out to a 67 filter cup?
The cup was always serviceable separately and this one just happened in the 67 time period?

So the seller isn't completely honest or stating something that he thinks is correct but isn't?

It's not worth buying it just for the cup. At some point someone will make an Autolite decal as the simplest solution?

Does the tool fit the splines on the cup or the three indentations on the cup? Sounds like it is stamped steel like the little wrenches you get to assemble furniture.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

It's a pump for a '63 T - bird and many other applications. It is a service part - not assembly line - probably made in the 1967 - 71 era when those filters were available. Since all '63 T - birds have a 390 the seller just isn't too bright. I think he's just lazy, not deliberately deceptive. The price is very fair.

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 05, 2020, 09:17:38 PM

From what I see with the box and all the pump is probably from 63-4 and I'll take a guess an say the cup maybe got wrecked and changed out to a 67 filter cup?
The cup was always serviceable separately and this one just happened in the 67 time period?

So the seller isn't completely honest or stating something that he thinks is correct but isn't?

It's not worth buying it just for the cup. At some point someone will make an Autolite decal as the simplest solution?

Does the tool fit the splines on the cup or the three indentations on the cup? Sounds like it is stamped steel like the little wrenches you get to assemble furniture.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on December 05, 2020, 09:17:38 PM

The is Autolite decal for the canister already available. It is of poor quality compared to a original. I have found the tool that fits the flutes on the end of the canister to skip off of the flutes when putting the pressure needed to get off stubborn canisters in the same way a open end wrench does on a hex nut when using extra force. It causes paint and metal damage when that happens . That is why I use the band type like I mentioned before.

shelbydoug

Is that actually a decal on the canister or is the label actually printed directly to it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

Quote from: Vcode on December 11, 2020, 07:33:10 AM
Here's some info.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=23782.0

TY for the link. It doesn't answer the question specifically but the picture of Gaines canister "appears" to be printed on the canister since there are no apparent seams but "Agent J's" copy looks really good too.

I'd go for one of those too Mr.Speegle if you should offer?  ;)

Thank you all for the information.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!