News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

65/66 coupes - non-Shelby

Started by corbins, March 27, 2018, 07:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corbins

Need a little help... son bought a coupe to restore that had some work already done by PO. We recently discovered that the door tag is gone and the left apron bears a 5T vin code .... but he's holding a 6T title :(  I know the car had a both cowl panels replaced, new firewall, new floorpan and the outer A pillars were sectioned in with a short bit of the outer rockers.
I'm trying to find some other date codes in the body that will determine if this is a 65 or 66 car. There is no buck tag anywhere. I'm thinking someone may have grafted a 65 frt aprons and rails onto a 66 body. Need to locate some other stamped date codes to determine what year this thing started life as.
Thanks !  Steve

427heaven

Look at the decorative quarter panel trim on the sides of the car. A 65 will have a vertical bar looking trim while the 66 will have this bar with 3 fingers sticking off of it. If it has been filled pull the interior panel and look what holes have been filled. This will explain what it started as. Holes in vertical line is a 65. ;)

Bill Collins

If the car was a Sprint edition or had a factory pin stripe, the quarter mouldings were deleted by the factory. Look at the heads of the striker pins on the door jambs at the front edge of the quarter panels (the door latch hooks onto these). Originals are often stamped with a month/year (e.g. "4-66"). This is usually when the body was assembled, give or take a month either way.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

corbins

Thanks guys ! Much appreciated. It defiantly has the 3 fingered insert on the qrts, will check those strikers later to verify .