News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

68 Rear valance finish

Started by Corey Bowcutt, December 08, 2020, 01:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

I am refinishing the rear valance on my February 12, 1968 GT350.  What should the color/finish be on the back side of the valance?  I am assuming Red Oxide epoxy primer but want to make sure before I do it.

Thank you,

Corey

Coralsnake

Yes red oxide

You will have two spots of deadner above the exhaust cut outs.

Corey Bowcutt

Thank you Pete for the rapid response.  I assume the deadener is black because it was applied after the red oxide?

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

Commonly painted on car, so at least some of mounting screws were also painted.

TLea

Metuchen cars all attaching.screws on when painted. Studs loose

68blk500c

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on December 08, 2020, 01:51:54 PM
Thank you Pete for the rapid response.  I assume the deadener is black because it was applied after the red oxide?

original deadener example (generous application, mind you) from #2139 early March car.  FYI

Corey Bowcutt

Thanks for all the information and picture.  Does anyone know why they added the sound deadener there?  Seems odd to me.  The only thing I can think is protecting the paint from heat?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on December 08, 2020, 08:44:27 PM
Thanks for all the information and picture.  Does anyone know why they added the sound deadener there?  Seems odd to me.  The only thing I can think is protecting the paint from heat?
Not heat but vibration cause by the sound coming from the exhaust tips .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rukiddin

Another example of the sealer at each side near opening. Looks like a thin brush application covered by a heavier sealer.

Coralsnake

KR500

Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267