Author Topic: quick steer  (Read 3421 times)

mlplunkett

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
quick steer
« on: December 08, 2020, 05:36:08 PM »
I can't find it now but at some point I remembered reading that the longer steering arms didn't need to be used by Shelby on later model cars because Ford changed the steering gear ratio in the steering box. Since there are so many comments about headers not clearing the longer steering arms on the early cars (65-66) I'm wondering if the header clearance problem could be solved by using a later steering box. Anybody know?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: quick steer
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 06:36:21 PM »
I can't find it now but at some point I remembered reading that the longer steering arms didn't need to be used by Shelby on later model cars because Ford changed the steering gear ratio in the steering box. Since there are so many comments about headers not clearing the longer steering arms on the early cars (65-66) I'm wondering if the header clearance problem could be solved by using a later steering box. Anybody know?
Why try and reinvent the wheel? Use the longer idler arm and pitman arm which are readily available and be done with it. That is if working on 65/66. The pitman arm is not typically a big issue. However sub standard after market Tri Y headers have been a issue in the past . The factory headers were apparently made better then other different aftermarket vendors.The quick steer mod was not needed for 67-70  given that the race teams for 67-70 did not typically modify the 67-70 idler or pitman arms. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 11:37:09 PM »
 May I ask a simple question regarding the heaviness of the steering action with the longer arm compared to a p/s GT steering with the p/steering removed.

Reason for my question is my 66 Shelby is a lot harder to steer than my 66 GT with the
P/s removed but the rest is standard equipment.

Ross

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 03:10:39 PM »
The 65/66 P/S box is the same as the M/S quick ratio so there should be no difference all other factors being the same.
I would not think the additional length of the pitman / idler arm would not produce significant additional steering effort, you may have some binding elsewhere in the system, gearbox input bearing preload, or stiffness in the various ball studs in the steering linkage or in the control arm ball studs??

I can only comment my 1970 "Boss 351" had the RPO competition suspension and quick ratio manual steering, with Koni shocks and 15x7" wheel and the early Radial TA G70-15 tires.

Once the car was moving above 10 mph the steering effort was not excessive, steering in a parking lot did require both hands ( +arms !).

However at higher speeds, 50~100+ the car was extremely stable, with crisp steering inputs resulting in predictable vehicle response.
My good friend had a 1970 Boss 302 with the same RPO competition suspension, but FoMoCO production shocks and P/S, the steering felt mushy, with less predictable response to steering inputs.
I did not feel nearly as confident taking that car over 100 mph unless I had a lot of runoff or wide pavement to use!

my humble opinion is you must decide the intended use of the car and then set it up to accomplish the intended performance.
If you are interested in a comfortable boulevard cruiser with good low speed efforts then P/S would be desired, if a stable track car then I would think the P/S looses it's attraction.

To adapt the later 67-70 steering system you would need to adapt the steering column also (as it uses collapsible column & gearbox with short input shaft) or look at one of the aftermarket restomod gearbox/column products.

regards

jim p
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 03:32:31 PM by 6R07mi »
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 03:25:51 PM »
I can only comment my 1970 "Boss 351" had the competition suspension and quick ratio manual steering, with Koni shocks and 15x7" wheel and the early Radial TA G70-15 tires.

Once the car was moving above 10 mph the steering effort was not excessive, moving in a parking lot did require both hands ( +arms !).
However at higher speeds, 50~100+ the car was extremely stable, with crisp steering inputs resulting in predictable vehicle response.
My good friend had a 1970 Boss 302 with the same competition suspension, but FoMoCO production shocks and P/S, the steering felt mushy, with less predictable response to steering inputs.
I did not feel nearly as confident taking that car over 100 mph unless I had a lot of runoff or wide pavement to use!

my humble opinion is you must decide the intended use of the car and then set it up to accomplish the intended performance.
If you are interested in a comfortable boulevard cruiser with good low speed efforts then P/S would be desired, if a stable track car then I would think the P/S looses it's attraction.

To adapt the later 67-70 steering system you would need to adapt the steering column also (as it uses collapsible column & gearbox with short input shaft) or look at one of the aftermarket restomod gearbox/column products.

regards

jim p
Jim, maybe getting a little off track for the OP's question but I wanted to point out that regardless of if manual or PS that any reliable usable comparison would have to be where both cars had new or relatively new suspension and steering . A comparison would not be accurate otherwise. There are so many components to consider if doing a comparison . Steering box if not rebuilt in 50 years is a big factor ,inner and outer tie rods ,idler arm ,upper and lower control arms ,and to a lessor extent sway bar and endlink bushings. I have even seen a bent drag link . Any one of the mentioned components not in tip top shape could skew a comparison negatively. I wanted those reading to keep these things in mind while formulating a opinion one way or the other.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 03:36:17 PM »
Jim, maybe getting a little off track for the OP's question but I wanted to point out that regardless of if manual or PS that any reliable usable comparison would have to be where both cars had new or relatively new suspension and steering . A comparison would not be accurate otherwise. There are so many components to consider if doing a comparison . Steering box if not rebuilt in 50 years is a big factor ,inner and outer tie rods ,idler arm ,upper and lower control arms ,and to a lessor extent sway bar and endlink bushings. I have even seen a bent drag link . Any one of the mentioned components not in tip top shape could skew a comparison negatively. I wanted those reading to keep these things in mind while formulating a opinion one way or the other.
[/quote]

Bob, I agree completely with your observations, the whole steering system should be inspected and serviced as a interdependent system.
and I apologize if I've taken this discussion off into the weeds!

Regards

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 03:41:29 PM »
   Let me offer this. When Cyclone built the Tri Ys , "I" doubt the quick steering arms existed. It is "my " opinion a standard HiPo 289 Mustang was used . MY original tri Ys have "flats" where the pitman and idler arms hit during  the 50,000 miles it got in the eight years of use it got prior to me. The only other "possibility" is that the guy who prototyped them didn't check for "lock to lock" interference. Every original tri y I've owned was flattened ( more or less) in the same locations. The ones for 477 are still in the rafters.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 03:57:08 PM »
   The steering arms would interfere even more with the 67 up stuff. The pitman arm is way more "robust" because of the big block usage.

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 04:02:53 PM »
Jim and Bob.

I didn’t want o high jack the original post so maybe I should’ve started another one.

In any case, the steering box has been rebuilt with he correct pre load apparently being set, so best I have the remainder of the components looked at,

As a side note steering is precise when moving but heavier than the GT, tires are 235’s so I considered that that may add to it as the GT has 205’s. Did a wheel swap but no difference.

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 04:06:02 PM »
   Let me offer this. When Cyclone built the Tri Ys , "I" doubt the quick steering arms existed. It is "my " opinion a standard HiPo 289 Mustang was used . MY original tri Ys have "flats" where the pitman and idler arms hit during  the 50,000 miles it got in the eight years of use it got prior to me. The only other "possibility" is that the guy who prototyped them didn't check for "lock to lock" interference. Every original tri y I've owned was flattened ( more or less) in the same locations. The ones for 477 are still in the rafters.
    Randy

Randy,

Is this the flattened spot you’re talking about? See pics

Cheers,
~EarlJ

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 04:27:38 PM »

That would probably be a mod for better Z bar/shifter clearance.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 07:09:37 PM »
Looks like passenger side header to me The steering on 550, when I bought it in 1967 with less than 3400 miles was hard to turn at slow speeds. l think the combination of wide tires and the quick steering set up was the cause. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

6T6/7

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 07:41:20 PM »
The longer pitman arm increases steering effort as well quickening the steering.
‘66 6S379, ‘67 GT350 #1661

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 10:29:53 AM »
    Randy

Charles ,
       That is pitman arm clearance . The clutch linkage is "behind" the tubes , closer to the block.
      Earl ,
        Mine were caused by "use" ( there is a witness mark for the idler arm on the pass side too.) from the eight years before I got it. Your picture "to me" looks like "the universal Ford tool" made it. Mine are far more subtle .The only other "possibility" is the Mustang they were built on WASN'T an K code and the different motor mounts of the "standard engine" had the engine in a slightly different position/ height. After 55 years it is going to be tough to find the guy who did the prototype IF he's still with us.
Randy,

Cheers,
~EarlJ

Helmantel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 09:04:32 AM »

The later cars have shorter steering arms on the spindles, which quickens the steering the same way longer pitman arms do, although to a lesser extend (about 5% vs ~15%).