News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Looky what I can do!

Started by paul, March 27, 2018, 09:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Ok let's say I have some disposable income I wanted to throw at a set of these. Since they don't have to be exact copies of a 50year old set up, can anyone recommend some ideas
First it's going to be on a stock 289hipo in my GT350H with an automatics. I can hear the gnashing of teethand the wailing already, but it's something I wanted to do ever since I saw the in the accessories catalog back in the early 70.
Has anybody used them with this combo?
Also Jim Inglese name comes up a lot, I like that he says he can tune them to the correct specs for the car. This will be a driver, not a "push it out the trailer and back in "kind of car.
Wife says I'm getting senile but what does she know. She the one who would not let me buy a Cobra, instead she wanted a house. Even my argument of "we can sleep in the car, but we didn't do the trick, even though now she admits we probably should have bought the Cobra
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

mygt350

Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

kjspeed

I'd start with Jim Inglese http://jiminglese.com/

Emailed him with a question about air filters for my setup (don't use 'em). He responded personally within about 10 minutes. Now that may be a fluke because he happened to be sitting at his computer at the time, but if I was going to invest in a second Weber setup it would be so worth it to be able to speak with the guy who actually set them up and not be routed through some automated telephone system or a know-nothing lackey. Turns out his shop is only an hour and a half away from me so I'm planning to bring the car over one day and have him give it a once over (even though it seems to be running fine). It can't hurt to watch and learn from one of the best.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

shelbydoug

Quote from: kjspeed on April 02, 2018, 09:33:23 AM
I'd start with Jim Inglese http://jiminglese.com/

Emailed him with a question about air filters for my setup (don't use 'em). He responded personally within about 10 minutes. Now that may be a fluke because he happened to be sitting at his computer at the time, but if I was going to invest in a second Weber setup it would be so worth it to be able to speak with the guy who actually set them up and not be routed through some automated telephone system or a know-nothing lackey. Turns out his shop is only an hour and a half away from me so I'm planning to bring the car over one day and have him give it a once over (even though it seems to be running fine). It can't hurt to watch and learn from one of the best.

I would highly recommend him to you for your project.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Brant

I purchased a brand new set up from Jim Inglese back in the 1980s for 6S2297. I sold the car long ago. The current owner still runs them, and they have been as trouble free as any single carb. set up.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

shelbydoug

Quote from: Brant on April 02, 2018, 10:29:16 AM
I purchased a brand new set up from Jim Inglese back in the 1980s for 6S2297. I sold the car long ago. The current owner still runs them, and they have been as trouble free as any single carb. set up.

A Weber set up is MUCH easier to maintain then any Holley. There are no gaskets in the fuel bowls to dry out and leak like a Holley would do eventually and the needle and seat is a glass ball (or will be changed to one by Inglese) and there is no Viton to stick closed or freeze open. There are no power valves to blow out.

Once dialed in, they keep that setting.

There are some new idle air/fuel combinations that are available now that weren't in the '60s. That enables the idle richness to be leaned down to something reasonable by comparison.

The comparison previously was like the idle on a factory set Holley DP series carb with the idle set very rich from the factory because of the intended use with open headers.

You can get the idle richness down to about what a stock 1850 Holley is now, plus or minus.

If it is still too rich for your liking then the only other thing to do is to go to an eight stack electronic fuel injection system but that will put about another 2500 on to the cost of the system.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!