Author Topic: What's My GT350 Worth?  (Read 5488 times)

Bill G

• View Profile
What's My GT350 Worth?
« on: December 12, 2020, 10:15:09 AM »
I know this is kind of an asinine question.  Because I know the answer is, "it depends".  And I have done no research yet. But I think guys here do have a good idea about real life values of their cars.  I want to sell my car to a friend.  I want to give him a good deal, but not give the car away.  So, here are the facts: I've owned it since 2010. 56,000 original miles, original drive train, top loader rebuilt by David Key, no work to engine though runs well, Acapulco Blue, saddle interior, interior is all original & in nice shape except the front seats have been recovered and new carpet.  Lot's of stuff done to breaks, suspension and car has been repainted - very nicely.  Original owner owned it up till 2000, so have a lot of original documentation plus Marti.  If you just take my word for it that the car, condition wise, is 2 to 2-.
I'm interested in your feedback.  Thanks.

Bill in Ohio 

JWH

• View Profile
Re: What's My GT350 Worth?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 11:21:57 AM »
Hi Bill,
             I am a believer in the Hagerty valuation tool. I feel that if Hagerty has a financial interest in insuring these cars, they are going to track values carefully. You don't say if your car is a fastback or convertible but when you open the link below it allows you to select your model. The values are given by condition rating so you can see the range that a #2 car is worth. I think both you and your friend could use this to come up with a price that is fair for both. It sounds like you have a very nice car with few owners, good documentation and a color that a lot of people really take to. Good luck with the sale and hopefully, the new owner will visit the SAAC site and post some pictures.
Jeff

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/search/Auto/1968/Shelby/GT350/Base

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 11:31:29 AM »
I know this is kind of an asinine question.  Because I know the answer is, "it depends".  And I have done no research yet. But I think guys here do have a good idea about real life values of their cars.  I want to sell my car to a friend.  I want to give him a good deal, but not give the car away.  So, here are the facts: I've owned it since 2010. 56,000 original miles, original drive train, top loader rebuilt by David Key, no work to engine though runs well, Acapulco Blue, saddle interior, interior is all original & in nice shape except the front seats have been recovered and new carpet.  Lot's of stuff done to breaks, suspension and car has been repainted - very nicely.  Original owner owned it up till 2000, so have a lot of original documentation plus Marti.  If you just take my word for it that the car, condition wise, is 2 to 2-.

Bill in Ohio
You forgot to mention if fastback or convertible .
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 11:55:11 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 11:45:13 AM »
Whoops - fastback

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »
My experience with Hagerty is they rely on owner reported sales. The owner can tell them anything they want.

Its in Hagertys best interest to have cars valued higher. Higher values equal more premiums.

Im not saying the numbers are wrong, but certainly some things to consider.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 04:52:57 PM by Coralsnake »

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 03:17:12 PM »
Old cars right now are not winning any value awards now. BJ and Mecum only "play" on celebrity cars and famous cars, Mr Jo Blo's car is not big deal for them, ebay will give you an idea as many never meet reserve and wind up in re-list-ville. List you car in ebay wi9th a 900K reserve like everyone else does and start the bid at a buck and see what it finishishes at. I bet 70 to 80 myself. I comes dow to, "What I am selling is the best, and what you are selling is garbage" Or If I am buying it, 'Its gold"

When I buy a car, its is the best, I am told, then like magic, when I sell it, I am told it is S&%T.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 10:31:02 AM »
Ok, looks like my bud won't be buying the car.  That's all right, I will plan to put it on Bat, which I've had some real good luck at.  Unless anyone here has interest.

Bill in Ohio

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »
My experience with Hagerty is they rely on owner reported sales. The owner can tell them anything they want.

Its in Hagertys best interest to have cars valued higher. Higher values equal more premiums.

when I went to  up my insurance for my Vert from 125 to 140K when it was going to be kept overnight on Woodward at a Ford display 2 years ago Hagerty balked and said 130K. Then I produced some sold cars(Thanks to Bret's site and a few others) they agreed to do it at 140K. That is my experience with Hagerty. They wouldn't just insure it for what I wanted which was NOT out of price so to speak. Then in their valuation tools the sold values went up on that particular car. Tough having a rare car that there are not many sales on from year to year.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 12:30:13 PM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »

Bill in Ohio
FWIW I sold this car private for 75K in 2013. Date coded engine but auto heads. Non original but late dated coded 4 speed. 1969 3.50 N case TL rear. All original interior including carpet headliner and dash pad but repo console and "almost" correct gauges(had greenlines in it). Original front suspension. original glass. Solid car with one patch on lower DS quarter. INCORRECT black paint(highland green car).  Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 10:45:22 PM »

Bill in Ohio

Sounds like a great car with a lot going for it making it better than average.  Good luck.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 01:28:27 AM »

They take data from different sources.  I feel their high value for #1 concours is a little optimistic, although not all concours cars are equal when breaking them down to colors, extent of metalwork done, non-matching drivetrain, etc...
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 06:22:51 AM »
Excellent advice

68cobra427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 10:56:37 AM »
I ran my 68 GT500 fastback through BAT and it only hit $86K  the car had 66K orig miles. Non orig motor.  I ended up selling it for $100K out of the country.  Australia is paying higher prices then the US.

So my best guess would be $75K value on your car.

I had mine insured with Hagerty and they now know what I sold mine for. 

Luck on sale
Troy

redpony

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »
68cobra427: what does BAT mean?  Where did you end up selling it through?  I'm new to all this - and this thread caught my eye.  I've always wondered, if I ever decide to sell my car (68 GT500) what would I do??  My only knowledge is eBay and auction houses.  The suggestion posted by someone else, to put a very high reserve on ebay - to see what kind of offers you get - could cost a mint.  It is my understanding that ebay still collects fees for an unsold item - based on the reserve amount; correct?