News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Factory markings?

Started by 480083, December 13, 2020, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are these factory markings or something a mechanic may have done decades ago?  I have never see them on another car and don't want to reproduce them if they don't belong.   It's a GT-350 built in December 1968.  Thanks.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 480083 on December 13, 2020, 06:51:32 PM
Are these factory markings or something a mechanic may have done decades ago?  I have never see them on another car and don't want to reproduce them if they don't belong.   It's a GT-350 built in December 1968.  Thanks.
I am skeptical that they are factory markings.I haven't seen them on another 69/70 Shelby. I have seen a lot but admittedly not all. At the very least your car would be in the extreme minority if found to be historical given the number out there without that. More likely added later for what ever reason.  In a concours venue setting if I were judging I would ask for some type of provenience. To be on the safe side If no other examples are currently found to corroborate their usage then it would be prudent to restore without. Keep your picture documentation because it would be a simple matter to put in them in place if later they were found to be historical to the car and had to be reproduced .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Agree that they are not likely factory (either AO or Dearborn) markings. Have seen thousands and I've never seen similar ones applied in the same fashion and or location. There are enough other changes visible in your pictures that suggest that the car is not an untouched or cream puff of an example though it could still be a nice car.

Believe they were either applied by a past owner for some unknown reason or  could have been applied by a dealer (possible used car one) as an inventory identifier. Have a couple of paint brush number patterns in my records but not from your year and not always Dearborn Mustangs.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Dan353

I have red grease pencil markings on the underside of my hood on my 69 GT350 #0353.  The previous owner told me the mechanics used to write the mileage of when the next oil change was due