Author Topic: Fender bolts painted or not?  (Read 1668 times)

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
Fender bolts painted or not?
« on: January 06, 2021, 06:15:39 PM »
I have studied several Shelbys photos of the 69/70 and my guess is that the fender bolts were not painted the color of the car at Ford but if you know please advise me.  If not painted what is the silver look I see on some restored cars?

Thanks
Rick

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Fender bolts painted or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 06:46:03 PM »
I have studied several Shelbys photos of the 69/70 and my guess is that the fender bolts were not painted the color of the car at Ford but if you know please advise me.  If not painted what is the silver look I see on some restored cars?

Thanks
Rick
The original bolts used were not painted but bright silver plated .  Cad or zinc silver replicate the look. AMK products sells the fender bolts with original markings if needed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 06:53:12 PM »
Thanks Bob, this is very helpful

Rick

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 07:09:08 PM »
Bob, do you know if the hood hinges were also a funky gold.  I had my hinges rebuilt and they just asked if I wanted them black or the original gold.  I'm not sure they would really know.  Some of the photos make them look like they are bare metal.  My powder coated black looks great but I guess thats got to go...LOL

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 07:21:13 PM »
Bob, do you know if the hood hinges were also a funky gold.  I had my hinges rebuilt and they just asked if I wanted them black or the original gold.  I'm not sure they would really know.  Some of the photos make them look like they are bare metal.  My powder coated black looks great but I guess thats got to go...LOL

They are not gold, not originally at least  ;)
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 07:56:03 PM »
The rebuilder got confused is the nicest way I can say it. The best way the to replicate the original look at this point is to strip to bare metal and then lightly zinc phosphate the hood hinges IMO. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 10:59:49 AM »
Thank you again Bob, that is the direction I will shoot for
Rick