News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

'70 GT500, white, auto, fastback, Ford engineering car

Started by Had1once, December 13, 2020, 08:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 14, 2020, 05:54:44 AM
The factory would have used blue side stripes.  Would have been owner modified if it was a 1970 model.
After seeing the pics is it possible it came with those stripes being a red interior prototype car? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Had1once on December 13, 2020, 11:28:38 PM
Here are the only pics I have.
Thanks for sharing. Are you still in the Detroit area? I never saw it at the SAAC MCR shows but I started going to them in the 80s. I don't recall a silver painted 69 either and I have been "on the scene" since the early 80s going to shows and I have always been a "West sider". Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Had1once

I saw it once at Cobo Hall Autorama displayed by my buyer and think it must have been in '75, possibly '76. I could be wrong on the color it was changed to- I just remember is was completely re-painted but am pretty sure it was silver/grey. Never saw it again and never attended a saac event. I moved west in '85 where I remain. The Ford exec I bought it from is long ago retired and is in Florida.

Coralsnake

The factory protocol was blue stripes. I wont say it could not have been striped in gold, but it would be very very  unusual.

Can you provide any more information, like the Ford executive's name?

Had1once

Yes, an unusual example GT500 which is why I thought the current owner would be interested in the history. I'll respect the execs privacy but might be willing to share it with the current owner. He/she can pm me if interested.

Coralsnake

Can you share it with the registrar?

He will keep it confidential. He may have other information

Vinman@infionline.net

Coralsnake

I corrected the number. The car I spoke of is actually 2860.

It certainly appears to be the Cougar dash in your photograph.

I thought Orlando Mustang had a Pastel Gray GT500 with a red interior in their shop about 4-5 years ago. I think it belonged to them and was for sale. I don't recall if the dash was for a Cougar.

Since they closed up their shop, they have purged all of their restoration history from their website.

Coralsnake

Coralsnake

I sent the original poster a private message

Coralsnake

For Propayne!   ;)

propayne

Thanks Pete!

Wow, that is very, very interesting.

XR-7 dash, wonder if the Snake on the passenger side is original?  And the stuff on the console between the shifter and armrest/storage compartment (square thing looks like an ashtray?) do not look familiar to me.

These cars are endlessly fascinating.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Coralsnake

Thats the Shelby console insert. Its red as is the whole console. I have seen many red interiors with black consoles. The toggle switches are not installed. Likely wired into dash gauges instead.

The snake is likely original. I have seen it on another Cougar dash Shelby.

Coralsnake