News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Re-chroming radio bezel

Started by Jack4159, December 07, 2020, 09:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

Thank you Bob I appreciate that advice and you are spot on, I have some decisions exercising my mind which you, Pete and the myriad of others here will be able to direct me, I guess I need to be a little more pragmatic...thank you for the re-set.
I'm not trying to restore to concours but am mindful that in 5 yrs or so maybe I will have the time and mindset to do that, so trying to avoid major blunders I guess.
1)CARPETS-mine are in good serviceable shape(except the console)-deep clean and re-dye or just buy new?
2)FASTENERS/BOLTS-just buy the AMK kits,interior, body and chassis, or be selective and save the best of what I have?
3)ROOF LINER-mine is in very good shape but probably a bit faded, buy new for about $50- or stick with the original?
4)DASH- I have a NOS bezel so d.side sorted,but do I replace rh side of dash with repro? Or spend time trying to resurrect the original, the woodgrain is shot and tough to get off.
5)SHELBY CONSOLE-I've totally stripped the woodgrain effect off, is vinyl the best way to replace this?
6)HURST SHIFTER-the car has a hurst shifter but also came with what appears to be the original lever, knob and linkage from Ford/Shelby.Is the Hurst shifter so much better I leave it there?Or switch back?
7)Dynamat or similar-good idea or a no no?
8)Car is just out of the blasters and the paint guys are starting to ask me questions, they are keen to get it right.But we are in an isolated part of Australia so local first hand info is scant.I am searching high and low and they have Pete's paint page which is extremely helpful, are there any other good sources that helps re paint,sealer?
Thank you all.

Coralsnake

I would always try to reuse/rehabilitate original parts if possible .

That goes for hardware as well. AMK is a good option, but I feel you should select the hardware you need and buy the pieces individually as opposed to the kits. It gives you more control over the specific designs.

Other factors include what you will be using car for in the future. If you want a pure oem car and you are not going to drive it, that's different from building something that will be used with some frequency.

If you do make modifications to the original configuration, I think its in your best interest to keep to a minimum and make sure they are easily reversible. I personally would steer clear of Dynamat or similar products that could potentially trap moisture.

The dash and console are tricky parts of a 1968 restoration. Its difficult to get them correct. The cheap vinyl never looks the same or sticks as well. There are not a lot of good solutions.

The original shifter was Ford, not Hurst.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

JD

You may already know - If ordering the individual kits note that AMK has minimum order amounts. This may not be a problem if your doing the whole car.  But NPD does sell many of AMK individual kits.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

CSX 4133

Another option for the bezel and any other dash items. I've used instrument Specialties twice with exceptional results.

https://www.instrument-specialties.com/services/plastic-chrome-bezels/

Coralsnake

They do good work. What was your experience with the turn around times?

Also note poster is in Australia, so options may be limited

CSX 4133

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 16, 2020, 09:24:12 AM
They do good work. What was your experience with the turn around times?

Also note poster is in Australia, so options may be limited

To be honest turn around times were not speedy, but given it was toward the end of the year (Christmas & New Years) and they admitted they were swamped with work at the time. It took three month's to receive my items back, the finished work was excellent and well worth the wait.

Coralsnake

That was light speed compared to some of my experiences. I was very satisfied, but the turn around times became a non starter for me.

Jack4159

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 16, 2020, 07:35:08 AM
I would always try to reuse/rehabilitate original parts if possible .

That goes for hardware as well. AMK is a good option, but I feel you should select the hardware you need and buy the pieces individually as opposed to the kits. It gives you more control over the specific designs.

Other factors include what you will be using car for in the future. If you want a pure oem car and you are not going to drive it, that's different from building something that will be used with some frequency.

If you do make modifications to the original configuration, I think its in your best interest to keep to a minimum and make sure they are easily reversible. I personally would steer clear of Dynamat or similar products that could potentially trap moisture.

The dash and console are tricky parts of a 1968 restoration. Its difficult to get them correct. The cheap vinyl never looks the same or sticks as well. There are not a lot of good solutions.

The original shifter was Ford, not Hurst.
Thanks Pete, appreciate the advice and direction, will stick with oem where possible and put the Ford shifter back in.

Jack4159

Quote from: CSX 4133 on December 16, 2020, 09:15:30 AM

Another option for the bezel and any other dash items. I've used instrument Specialties twice with exceptional results.

https://www.instrument-specialties.com/services/plastic-chrome-bezels/
Thanks for the tip, i will definately consider this option.

Jack4159

Quote from: JD on December 16, 2020, 08:47:04 AM
You may already know - If ordering the individual kits note that AMK has minimum order amounts. This may not be a problem if your doing the whole car.  But NPD does sell many of AMK individual kits.
Ok good to know, thank you.