Author Topic: 2013 GT500 Options List vs Functional Appeal  (Read 4951 times)

seldomseen72

• View Profile
2013 GT500 Options List vs Functional Appeal
« on: December 16, 2020, 03:21:17 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been scratching my head on something and am curious what everyone else's thoughts are. I realize this could be quite subjective and highly opinion driven. But I am curious to hear just that and any factual/comparative supporting data if you have any.

So, I have looked for years for just the right car. A 2013 GT500 coupe with a specific color combination. According to production numbers, only a very small amount were made in this color with certain seat and insert options. I found one on the east coast about a year ago and let it get away. Anyhow, I recently found another. It basically has all options except navigation, glass roof and the track package. The first two don't bother me much but the lack of the track package is what got me thinking. First impression is this would hurt the appeal of the car. One, the more options, the higher the initial price and typically a higher demand or interest later. Second, its a GT500 with the performance pack, who orders that without the track pack? It's not that much more in the scheme of things for the additional coolers and brake ducts (if you go buy what Ford says is included). Production numbers reflect this as most performance pack cars (roughly 75%) also had the track pack. So not having it could be frowned upon by future buyers. Even if they don't plan to use it on the track regularly. After all, these cars are meant to be driven and I don't see it as an "investment". So shouldn't they have the driving options?

But then I thought about rarity. If only a small number in this color combination were made and most cars had the track package, then this should be a fairly rare variant of those. It also has the Shaker 1000 but not navigation... It's almost like it was ordered to have all the bells and whistles but then someone backed out before completing the rest of the order LOL. You could always add the coolers if you need them but they aren't original and the car didn't come that way as it was fairly unique.

So what say you? More desirable/interesting or less desirable/interesting by not having the track package? Is the potential uniqueness that this maybe could be 1 of 5 or less cars intriguing??? If nothing else, maybe this will be a fun deep thought exercise....

Thanks in advance everyone. Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 08:11:25 AM by seldomseen72 »

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 GT500 Options List vs Long Term Value
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 04:02:54 PM »
The Track pack had 3 coolers, of which, I would argue the engine cooler is the most usuable and important. It can be added without too much stress if needed. Shelby sells both a transmission cooler (Air foil) and rear differential burp can.

The engine cooler is the one that can keep your engine temp down on the track and out of limp mode.

Brake Ducts were a Boss 302 item only. Also available for installation. This I see as valuable on a road course.

From a Value only perspective, The NAV unit and Glass roof will hurt you more than the track pack as those are coveted by many. The glass roof is Rare and very desirable, hence a big value booster.

I think they made around 10,000 '13 and '14s. Collectibility? It  might be there on the super low mileage garage queens. If you want to drive it (they are awesome cars) I say buy what you like and if needed, add the track cooling to it.

If tack use is your primary objective, grab a Boss 302 Laguna Seca

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 09:13:26 PM »
+ 1 Agreed

The Track pack had 3 coolers, of which, I would argue the engine cooler is the most usuable and important. It can be added without too much stress if needed. Shelby sells both a transmission cooler (Air foil) and rear differential burp can.

The engine cooler is the one that can keep your engine temp down on the track and out of limp mode.

Brake Ducts were a Boss 302 item only. Also available for installation. This I see as valuable on a road course.

From a Value only perspective, The NAV unit and Glass roof will hurt you more than the track pack as those are coveted by many. The glass roof is Rare and very desirable, hence a big value booster.

I think they made around 10,000 '13 and '14s. Collectibility? It  might be there on the super low mileage garage queens. If you want to drive it (they are awesome cars) I say buy what you like and if needed, add the track cooling to it.

If tack use is your primary objective, grab a Boss 302 Laguna Seca
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

seldomseen72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:38:31 AM »
Thanks for the replies and input. I would agree the engine cooler is the key. Sorry about the brake duct comment, I was just going off the Ford info of what is included in the track package. I've always wondered why the description says they are included but never seen them on the car. Figured I was just missing what they called a "duct" or it was a play on words...

No doubt the glass roof and nav are great value adders. As mentioned, getting what is important to me is where one should focus and I would gladly take either of those two options. They just aren't deal breakers for me.

I have no intentions of owning a garage queen. I agree these cars were meant to be driven. Hence one of the reasons why I could see the track pack having more of an impact. Unfortunately there aren't many track opportunities around me, but the car will certainly see "spirited" driving. Adding the cooler(s) would not be an issue. They would obviously be there for function at that point, but not original. This could help with resale to someone who also agrees a car should be driven and possibly appreciated. But not having it from the factory or original, might hurt the resale to another buyer.

At the end of the day none of it really matters that much. I was just curious and wondered what others might think. I do not foresee a reason to sell the car so resale doesn't really matter. Being an engineer by trade, I am a numbers guy. I think I am just intrigued by the option combinations and the uniqueness of a knowing a car is 1 of so many.

Thanks again for your input and the time you invested to read the post and respond.

Hmmm, just noticed my SAAC member badge isn't showing. Weird....

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 10:01:16 AM »
Now that the initial hoopla has cooled, these very under rated cars can be purchased at extremely good prices. As long as you get rid of the original tires (I suggest getting Pilot Sports) they are extremely fast, fantastic handling hoon machines.

Very underrated.

Tech site;  https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-14-shelby-gt500.413/

Tech and camaraderie; https://www.fordgt500.com/forums/

This site is more about the Gen I Shelbys

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 10:06:28 AM »
These SVT cars are kick a$$ respond tremendously well to any notifications.  Can you say 200 mph easily,  but only under a sanctioned event with a professional driver....

Just to assure everyone, we have never been over any posted speed limts.

Thank you

Now that the initial hoopla has cooled, these very under rated cars can be purchased at extremely good prices. As long as you get rid of the original tires (I suggest getting Pilot Sports) they are extremely fast, fantastic handling hoon machines.

Very underrated.

Tech site;  https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-14-shelby-gt500.413/

Tech and camaraderie; https://www.fordgt500.com/forums/

This site is more about the Gen I Shelbys

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

seldomseen72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
Thanks for the additional feedback. I get the focus here is a little more towards the first gen. But being a SAAC member, I thought I'd throw it out there. I asked the same question in one of the FB groups I'm in just for a potential differing opinion for that very reason.

Thanks for the additional links as well.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 02:47:44 PM »
Thanks for the additional feedback. I get the focus here is a little more towards the first gen. But being a SAAC member, I thought I'd throw it out there. I asked the same question in one of the FB groups I'm in just for a potential differing opinion for that very reason.

I wasn't trying to shoo you away. I just think you will find more expertise on those 2 sites, both of which I visit.

seldomseen72

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 03:14:45 PM »

I wasn't trying to shoo you away. I just think you will find more expertise on those 2 sites, both of which I visit.

Oh no, I didn't take it that way at all. It's all good. I appreciate the recommendations!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 GT500 Options List vs Functional Appeal
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 09:09:13 AM »
Dear Seldom

Just enjoy the car for what it is,  a car that will aniliate 99% of anything you will meet on the streets.

Life is short, you certainly cant take it with you and enjoy!

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

seldomseen72

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 09:29:32 AM »
Dear Seldom

Just enjoy the car for what it is,  a car that will aniliate 99% of anything you will meet on the streets.

Life is short, you certainly cant take it with you and enjoy!

No doubt! Couldn't agree more.

1 Alibi 2

• If not today, WHEN ??????
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 07:26:16 AM »
You should buy the car " you " want, optioned to be used the way " you " intend to drive it.
Based on polls, the glass roof is the option most people wished they'd ordered.
I don't & never have considered resale on a purchase.
................How rare ?
I ordered a 2011 GT500, one option base model, my Marti report tells me it's " 1 of 2 "
I ordered a 2014 GT500, two option base model, my Marti report tells me it's " 1 of 1 "
I ordered a 2017 F150, Lariat with packages & options, my Marti report tells me it's " 1 of 1 "
My taste in vehicles appears to not be too main stream.
What you think may be a " rare " low # build car, can't be determined from spreadsheets.
" Chance favors the prepared mind "
2014 GT500, de-tuned to 780rwhp

seldomseen72

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 09:38:53 AM »
You should buy the car " you " want, optioned to be used the way " you " intend to drive it.
Based on polls, the glass roof is the option most people wished they'd ordered.
I don't & never have considered resale on a purchase.
................How rare ?
I ordered a 2011 GT500, one option base model, my Marti report tells me it's " 1 of 2 "
I ordered a 2014 GT500, two option base model, my Marti report tells me it's " 1 of 1 "
I ordered a 2017 F150, Lariat with packages & options, my Marti report tells me it's " 1 of 1 "
My taste in vehicles appears to not be too main stream.
What you think may be a " rare " low # build car, can't be determined from spreadsheets.

Thanks for the input and thoughts Alibi. I'm not looking for guidance on resale and all that. Perhaps it was a poor choice of words. I am just curious to hear what appeals to others or what might be interesting to them about these cars. I like you have slightly different taste than most and know what I am looking for or would like to have. I thought it would be fun to see how many others feel the same way.

Sounds like you have some nice vehicles. Thanks again for your time and effort to respond. Happy New Year!