News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Teach me about dual quad intakes

Started by gimmea250swb, December 17, 2020, 09:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350hr

Quote from: SFM5S000 on December 22, 2020, 08:10:33 AM
Back to the 289/302 dual quad optional manifolds. There is/was the Shelby RamBox which was discussed here on the forum. I'm still contemplating & shopping carb options (I'm thinking dual NASCAR type 390cfm or 450cfm DP's). For my stroker 326/331.
Anyway, this manifold was yet another option in 8V but these days more desirable in 4V configuration.

Happy Holidays,
~Earl J

Earl ,
   The manifold was developed using two 1850 (600cfm vacuum) carbs. The minimum "I" would use is a 600DP. you have more cubes than the original testing so you need at least as much CFM. I have two 720s on mine which you have seen run. I will be sing them on the aluminum engine too.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

gt350hr

Quote from: 1109RWHP on December 21, 2020, 09:13:09 PM
I think it was 1050 and 1150.

So out of all the people who have dominator setups has anyone tried to run them? A lot of them plan on it but has anyone actually done it.

I have , using original sand cast and later die cast ( list 6214) carbs. I will not use them again. I am using the "conventional" dual plane regular Holley , T/A Boss intake. That is a well proven intake especially with the carbs originally made to be used with it. Sometimes less is more.
   Randy

6s1640

Hi all,

I have attempted to recreate the "How to Sharpen a Cougar's Claws" folder image of dual quad, below.  When I was trying to line up the angles and getting the lighting as similar as possible is when I noticed that my intake used in the recreation was not the same as the folder image.   Check out the runner design between the two.  My intake is the TransAm version.  This makes the folder intake the early FoMoCo version.

On the whether there is a "COUGAR" lettered dual quad intake, I have never seen or heard of one until maybe now.  I am not sure Royce implied that there was a "COUGAR" lettered dual quad, but may have been interpreted to exist in a later post.  I am not really sure.  I have seen the COUGAR lettered Weber set up.  Royce, is 8V the Weber Cougar lettered set up you are referring to?  Last image is Robin Miller's G-Force Cougar with COUGAR letter Weber intake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG1oEJVZUYI

Attached is what I believe the Cougar aficionado would have purchased back in the day, either small or big block.  All the pieces are period 1968.

Enjoy.

Cory

propayne

Hey Cory - that is cool!

When I first viewed your thread I thought boy, where did he get such a sharp copy of the "HTSaCC's" photo!?

Below are some more pics that I have of the Cougar versions of the Shelby performance and dress-up pieces.

You can tell that some of these have been mocked up for the picture in the same way and for the same reasons that they mocked up prototypes of the cars to photograph for marketing and advertising materials.

- Phillip

President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

gt350hr

Phillip,
     The dual four intakes in your "publicity" photo did not have Cougar on them it was ONLY the T/A intake (SK, C6OA , C6ZZ version) that had the Cougar added to the #1 intake runner. It is interesting to note that the runner configuration was completely changed on the T/A intake. At one time or another , I have owned all but the COUGAR bellhousing. Cool stuff for sure.
  Randy

Dan Case

Quote from: gt350hr on December 23, 2020, 10:39:44 AM
   Phillip,
     The dual four intakes in your "publicity" photo did not have Cougar on them it was ONLY the T/A intake (SK, C6OA , C6ZZ version) that had the Cougar added to the #1 intake runner. It is interesting to note that the runner configuration was completely changed on the T/A intake. At one time or another , I have owned all but the COUGAR bellhousing. Cool stuff for sure.
  Randy

I have been looking for a nice overhead picture of the COUGAR lettered 4-2V Weber carburetor intake manifold that has not been polished. People responding to my inquiries have provided pictures of two different polished ones and a third polished one was for sale in eBay® a few years ago. If there are three polished ones around there must be a as made one somewhere. I would like to get a nice picture for my archive. Thanks.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

6s1640

The COUGAR lettered Weber set up is also in HTSACC's.

Cory

Dan Case

Quote from: 6s1640 on December 23, 2020, 12:18:22 PM
The COUGAR lettered Weber set up is also in HTSACC's.

Cory

Thanks. It appears to be a dark room modified picture. I have something like that already.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

gt350hr

Yes the actual manifold does not look like the above photo. The logo is centered between the two linkage stand offs.

6s1640

Hi Randy,

Did you see the image I posted in No. 32 showing a COUGAR lettered Weber? Bottom image.   It is the real deal.  Check out the video in the same post.

Take care

Cory

gt350hr

Yes very different than  #36 pic.