News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Best Deluxe Interior Door Panels

Started by RSOHC, December 18, 2020, 05:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSOHC

Who makes the best deluxe interior door panels?

gt350bp

Just installed a set of TMI deluxe door panels and a NOS driver side arm rest and was very happy with how it turned out.

Two items to be aware when installing are follows:
     1.) If you are using new shield, they are slightly larger than originals. Be sure to fit and trim down as required. as they will show at the front of the door
     2.) BE SURE to relieve the door panel backer board at the washer head Phillips screws that hold window mechanism. There is one screw on each door
          panel that is in direct alignment with the top of the door panel. If the backer board on the door panel is not relieved / ground for clearance, the door     
          panel will be pushed out about a 1/16". See photos.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the quality of the deluxe door panels.

Don
gt350bp

RSOHC

I have installed on my driver door a new panel from Distinctive Industries.  This panel is made such that the nut for the remote mirror can not be screwed all the way onto the controller with the metal backing plate installed on the back side of the door panel.  As a result the wand hits the nut and the assembly doe not operate properly.  The attached photo shows the exposed threads. 

Do you have this problem with the TMI panels? 

Bob Gaines

I thought that this is a good place to mention that the repro panels are typically the only alternative so make the best of it. The vast majority of NOS panels I have ever seen had the chrome plastic trim detail degrading. Unfortunately trim that the chrome is degrading will not pass scrutiny even though original and NOS.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

RSOHC

Possible manufactures are

(1) Scott Drake,

(2) TMI,

(3) Distinctive Industries

RSOHC

gt350bp

Does not look like a correct mirror bezel to me. My bezel is rounded with indentations that I assume are used to help grip and tighten onto the threaded portion in the door. No issues with my mirror operation.

Bought the TMI panels from NPD and I think they look good. Hope the chrome hold up half as well as the originals did!

Don
gt350bp

RSOHC

RSOHC

My old door panel has a punched hole for the assembly and the nut can be fully tightened without any issues

gt350bp

Attached is photo of the bezel on my car. It is a July 23rd 1968 build date. Not sure if there are differences on 1967 to early / late 1968's? Hopefully one of the experts I depend on will advise.

You probably will need to increase the size of the mirror hole in the door panel backer board to allow the bezel to fit better.

Don
gt350bp 

gt350bp

Is your bezel on reversed? The Scott Drake repo mirrors have a chrome bezel w/o any ribs and I believe the mirror knob fits into the tapered side of the bezel.

Don
gt350bp

RSOHC

I bought the reproduction nut from West Coast Cougar.  Here are the words they have written about this part.

"Replaces the original Ford part that features a # C7SB-17B732-A casting number. Basically correct for 1967 but works just as well on 1968 mirrors. These nuts are are not 100% correct for a 67 or 68, kind of a mixture of both.Very nice chrome quality at a reasonable price.
*NOTE* While our mirror nut removal tool work / fit perfectly with the original mirror nuts, you will find the tool will need to be filed a little to fit this reproduction nut properly. We still highly suggest you purchase our mirror nut tool as the originals are often very difficult to remove and damage to your door panel will often be a result of trying to remove the nut with the wrong tool."

RSOHC

The nut with backing plate work just fine with the old door panel. 

Photo 2388 shows the back side of the old door panel with the metal backing plate.

Photo 2385 shows the old door panel with the reproduction nut and backing plate installed.

Photo 2382 shows the punched hole in the old door panel and the reproduction nut. 

Tomorrow I will take the new door panel off the car and measure the size of the hole and enlarge it if necessary.  I did increase the diameter of the hole before the new door panel was installed.   

gt350bp

I think it looks pretty good from what I can tell from the photos! Might just need to remove a bit of the backer board slightly smaller than the bezel to allow the threads to grab and gain a bit more clearance for the adjusting knob?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Don
gt350bp

RSOHC

I have removed my new door panel from the car and found it to have a thickness of 0.250 inches. 

The old door panel measures 0.180 inches.

The difference in thickness of 0.070 inches is roughly equivalent to the number of threads that are not engaged when using the new door panel.

I have ordered a set of TMI door panels.

TLea

We have probably installed 2-3 dozen sets of reproduction 68 door panels. While they are not perfect there are a few tips to make them better. As mentioned can be relieved around door pull wafer screw for better fit. On the mirror nut relieve a little of the backer so metal washer fits flush with panel. Above all make sure your clips are lined up straight and true. Any angle will telegraph to outside surface.
One last thing if using repo door handles check fit before installing door panel to confirm top of handle is horizontal and not pointing up or down as the spline clocking is slightly off on repos.