Author Topic: Best Deluxe Interior Door Panels  (Read 7114 times)

RSOHC

• View Profile
Re: Best Deluxe Interior Door Panels
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2020, 07:28:12 PM »
The TMI  door panels have arrived and measure 0.250 inches in thickness.  I have ordered a pair of Scott Drake door panels to see it they are thinner.   

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 07:11:26 AM »
slightly off topic. My original panels are mint except the chrome trim has peeled. Any ideas how to solve this issue? I want to use them but it is an eye sore. Thanks

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 11:46:56 AM »
slightly off topic. My original panels are mint except the chrome trim has peeled. Any ideas how to solve this issue? I want to use them but it is an eye sore. Thanks
Im in the same boat.I stripped the old chrome off with fine steel wool and bought a liquid chrome pen, figured i had nothing to lose by giving it a shot but havn't got around to putting the "chrome" on yet.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 01:04:01 PM »
It depends on your expectations. If you want them to look similar to new then different panels. If you do not have that high of expectations then you might try some of the chrome paint products that do not rub off. I wish that there was a easy button for this but no such luck that I am aware of.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

hurlbird

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 06:58:07 AM »
thanks i was hoping someone has a trick. ill try paint and go from there.

RSOHC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2021, 06:39:28 PM »
Here is a summary of thicknesses for the door panels I have received.

(1) Original in car is 0.180 inches
(2) Distinctive Industries dated Aug 2011 is 0.250 inches
(3) Recent TMI is 0.225 inches
(4) Recent Distinctive Industries 0.210 inches

For the recent Distinctive Industries piece, it is noted that there is an indention in the upholstery forward of the area where the adjuster hole for the remote mirror is located.

I am installing my original door panel since it is the only door panel that allows the remote for the mirror to operate correctly.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2021, 07:50:07 PM »
It seems like relieving the backer board .060" to .070" at the mirror will get you the additional threads for the bezel as well as clearance for mirror operation. I really like the TMI panels that I installed and believe they are MCA approved.

Don
gt350bp

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2021, 07:53:06 PM »
It seems like relieving the backer board .060" to .070" at the mirror will get you the additional threads for the bezel as well as clearance for mirror operation. I really like the TMI panels that I installed and believe they are MCA approved.

Don
gt350bp
FYI MCA hasn't approved restoration parts for more then a decade .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2021, 09:34:15 AM »
Did not realize that!

I guess I should say that the NPD deluxe door panels had been MCA approved. Checked back on their 2001 catalog and it shows them as MCA Approved.

I personally like the heavier backer board, as some of the thinner backers allow the clips to read at the upholstery and pull through when trying to remove. A little bit of Exacto knife and Dremel tool work can get the desired results.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 09:47:16 AM »
Just installed a set on my 68 and they look great. Exacto knife to trim the hole for the remote mirror knob and presto fantastic looking doors. So some will be left with the question do I keep the dreary , crappy originals because they are only original once pieces, or change them out to match their great looking cars? No one will know or ask questions or pull out a set of micrometers and test the thickness. If you are going for concourse trophys then you know what to do, good luck on what ever choice you make. NPD panels are beautifull!

RSOHC

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 08:24:38 PM »
Here is a photo showing the indentation in the upholstery near the location for the remote mirror adjuster.