News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Hagerty article on recent Shelby GT350 auction.

Started by CSX 4133, December 20, 2020, 12:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSX 4133

Like the author Colin Comer, I have the same feeling on this particular cars sale. Being a Sapphire '66 owner (albeit a race car) I hope the new owner does what's right by this Shelby and fully restores it. Will it ever be as valuable, probably not, but it will remain intact rather than pass into history.

https://insider.hagerty.com/trends/1966-shelby-gt350-mustang_sales_that_teach/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Hagerty_Insider

deathsled

Well written article with many hard truths and balancing tests.  Thanks for sharing.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

"thanks to the fact that as Shelby American became a legitimate manufacturer, it smoothed out some of the '65's race-car-for-the-street rough edges."

CS had been a legit manufacturer since 1962. The "rough" edges were included on about the first 800+- 1966 GT350s. No Konis and leaving the upper control arms alone along with under-ride traction bars were cost cutting measures nothing else.

"Adding to this was the wild card that the original Shelby VIN tag, the only tag on the entire car that has the Shelby VIN, had been replaced years ago."

I'm not as concerned with the original CS tag hanging on someones wall - or even on a fake car as long as the Ford numbers and right side CS VIN are intact and correct.

"Bottom line: The total investment in this particular GT350 will almost certainly exceed its market value."

Yes it's expensive to make another BORING 100 point GT350 trailer queen whose only difference from the one parked next to it is the color and date codes on the glass and sheet metal From 20' it looks ok. I'd go underneath and replace all the rusty sheet metal and enjoy it as a driver. Then you'll only have another 15-20 grand in it and right in line with current day 2 driver prices.

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Greg

The person that purchased it stated that he had his own restoration shop and wanted a car that hadn't went through a cobbled amateur restoration.  I can't wait to see see it done they way he wants.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1