News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Is this an original or repro 7AB P/S pulley for GT 500 wo/AC?

Started by Eritor, March 28, 2018, 10:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eritor

Have asked a seller for a NOS P/S pulley for my -67 GT500 and have got this picture.
"Yes I have and is it original 7AB, C5AZ-3A733-G   and for sale."
Can someone see if it is a real one or a repro one on this picture?
Thanks , Erik
Shelby GT500 #0329 Wimbledon, black interior, C6.
Shelby GT500 -13 Black with black stripes, TP, PP, Recaro, Glass roof.
Mustang GT 5.0 -17 Magnetic metallic, Ebony Black, GT Performance Package,  automatic transmission, Brembo.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Eritor on March 28, 2018, 10:20:51 AM
Have asked a seller for a NOS P/S pulley for my -67 GT500 and have got this picture.
"Yes I have and is it original 7AB, C5AZ-3A733-G   and for sale."
Can someone see if it is a real one or a repro one on this picture?
Thanks , Erik
Some of this you can't tell unless you have it in hand . Other details you can extrapolate from seeing originals vs. repros. The repros are made very good and I am glad they are available. Some details I hesitate to share all of what I use to tell the difference so that the repros don't get made too good so I can't tell the difference which at this point can go ether way depending on how close a look I can get. In your picture- It is made like a original ,it is slightly heavier then original ,It is new but it s a repro. You should know that in all my years of looking I have never come across or heard of a NOS 7AB pulley . FYI that personal fact is not the basis for my opinion on your picture. If you don't want it because of the repro reason you can forget about finding a NOS one. The repros typically sell for 250-350.00 . With that said you now have to decide what is better ,to not have the right looking pulley for your application or break down and accept the right one even though it is a repro. 99.9% will not know the difference. Unless the seller is charging a extra high price you can have piece of mind that you have a pulley that looks the part and functions as it should. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

acman63

+!   all the original pulleys Ive had were not marked at all 
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Eritor

Thanks for detail answer. My intention is to by a original pulley for my GT500. I use nos litle wrong but repro is not original or NOS. I can see that same company that works and sell parts for our old cars try to use my hopefulness to find parts. Why can't they tell me what it is? Erik
Mustang GT 5.0 -17 Magnetic metallic, Ebony Black, GT Performance Package,  automatic transmission, Brembo.

67_1183

Quote from: acman63 on March 28, 2018, 11:02:40 AM

I just looked at the pulley on 1183.  Clearly stamped 7AB.  Is this unusual?
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67_1183 on March 28, 2018, 12:38:40 PM

Stamped is more usual then unusual from what I have seen but that is just me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67_1183

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 28, 2018, 03:17:58 PM
Quote from: 67_1183 on March 28, 2018, 12:38:40 PM

Stamped is more usual then unusual from what I have seen but that is just me.

OK, thank you.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

acman63

SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Eritor

I have confronted the seller, All classic motors, LTD JD Larson about the original of the pulley and other parts they have.  All is reproductions he try to sell to me as original nos parts from -67. He has refunded my money. What company can we trust for parts to our genuine Shelbys? Erik

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Eritor on March 29, 2018, 05:48:29 PM
I have confronted the seller, All classic motors, LTD JD Larson about the original of the pulley and other parts they have.  All is reproductions he try to sell to me as original nos parts from -67. He has refunded my money. What company can we trust for parts to our genuine Shelbys? Erik

That's a great question, unfortunately. There are some out there that can be trusted, and far more that cannot.

I've found that people who are known in the Shelby community and grew up with these cars are the most reliable when it comes to what they sell and can authenticate.
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

Best to check every purchase and have a clear understanding of what your looking for and are purchasing no matter who you purchase from. Sometimes the seller may think a part will pass or get you by unless your clear and you confirm its what your looking for.

Don't get carried away with the process and if handled nicely it should not be taken as an insult to the seller.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

Larsen has never been a deceptive person with me so I would interpret that situation to probably be more of a misunderstanding. He's been around the Shelby community from the beginning.

On the pulley, if it were me, I'd just keep it until I found "a better one" to use. These things are very rare, regardless of whether they are an original or a repro or maybe more accurately referred to as a "continuation".

As you have read here, there is not necessarily 100% agreement on what the stampings should look like. Many are just stating what they EXPECT the stamping to look like AND some feel there are some with either no stamping or it is so lightly done, you don't notice it.

It's just my thoughts on the subject. I'm not telling anyone what the "correct" thing is to do.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

Talk to Max at AMK products. He had some originals in the 350.00 range a while back.