News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Radio Interference Suppressor

Started by s_eagle, December 19, 2020, 10:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s_eagle

Would a radio interference suppressor have been on a radio delete car?  I'd think not but not sure if the radio delete just impacted the antenna, radio, speaker.  Thanks

Clone65

The answer is no
You can verify this at Deadnuts on as i had mine alternator refurbed by them. Very great work performed by them. Highly recommend

J_Speegle

Quote from: Clone65 on December 19, 2020, 11:50:47 PM
The answer is no
You can verify this at Deadnuts on as i had mine alternator refurbed by them. Very great work performed by them. Highly recommend

s_eagle may be referring to the one located on the voltage regular not on the alternator since they were not used during 66 Mustang production

To that question. If the car was a radio delete car then the voltage regulator one would not have been attached to the short wire pig tail nor attached to the voltage regulator mount like they were on radio equipped cars
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

jk66gt350

Just to be clear, Jeff are you saying that a 66 GT 350 that was delivered with a radio should have a radio noise suppressor installed by and plugged into the voltage regulator?  I thought I recalled a thread on the old forum that said the noise suppressors were not typically found on 66 GT 350s when equipped with a radio. 

J_Speegle

Quote from: jk66gt350 on December 20, 2020, 08:29:13 PM
Just to be clear, Jeff are you saying that a 66 GT 350 that was delivered with a radio should have a radio noise suppressor installed by and plugged into the voltage regulator?  I thought I recalled a thread on the old forum that said the noise suppressors were not typically found on 66 GT 350s when equipped with a radio.

Not sure that a customer who paid for adding a radio or renting a car with a radio would want or not complain about the static and noise over the radio

Looking at the pictures I have of unrestored 66's with radios (mostly Hertz cars since those are the easiest to find) I find example after example of cars with the old rusty or cruddy suppressor in place.  Always wish I had more pictures but this location especially from a low angle that makes it really clear, is not high on the list of areas to take pictures of. 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

I believe the suppressor came in the radio kit.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on December 20, 2020, 09:39:21 PM
I believe the suppressor came in the radio kit.

Good thought

Sorry apparently don't have a picture handy of a 65-66 kit but here are examples from the next three years with suppressors

CharlesTurner

One small addition... a radio wasn't a 'delete' item, it was an option.  If the checkbox on the order sheet wasn't marked for a radio to be installed, then the car got no radio and the plastic plate.  For '66, I believe the only delete item (credit given) was the heater system.  In 65 it was seatbelts and heater.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

jk66gt350

Thanks for the replies. One last question from me.  The radio noise suppressor has a wire with a plug on it as shown in your picture.  Pretty sure my voltage regulator is correct for the car, but I do not see anywhere the plug can plug in to.  What does the suppressor plug connect to or plug in to?  Anyone have a picture?

J_Speegle

Quote from: jk66gt350 on December 20, 2020, 11:08:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. One last question from me.  The radio noise suppressor has a wire with a plug on it as shown in your picture.  Pretty sure my voltage regulator is correct for the car, but I do not see anywhere the plug can plug in to.  What does the suppressor plug connect to or plug in to?  Anyone have a picture?

There is a short wire with plug formed in all of the factory wire looms and into the connection made to the voltage regulators. The short section of wire will have a red heavy paper label/warning stapled over it in two places as you can see on a 66 Mustangs example I posted on CMF earlier today so it was handy. No suppressor the plug just hangs there but it still had the paper tag

Quote from: CharlesTurner on December 20, 2020, 10:35:57 PM
One small addition... a radio wasn't a 'delete' item, it was an option.  If the checkbox on the order sheet wasn't marked for a radio to be installed, then the car got no radio and the plastic plate.  For '66, I believe the only delete item (credit given) was the heater system.  In 65 it was seatbelts and heater.

Wonder about the cig lighter delete, could not be much of a credit,  but that is getting to off subject

jk66gt350

OK, the red tag is no longer on my wiring but I just looked and snapped a picture of my regulator and wiring.  So, looks like the answer to my question is that the male end of the suppressor wire plugs into the female end of the short yellow wire (top wire coming out of of the 4 wire plug).  Thanks for the clarification Jeff.  One more small item to add to my shopping list. 

Bob Gaines

Quote from: jk66gt350 on December 21, 2020, 10:09:05 AM
OK, the red tag is no longer on my wiring but I just looked and snapped a picture of my regulator and wiring.  So, looks like the answer to my question is that the male end of the suppressor wire plugs into the female end of the short yellow wire (top wire coming out of of the 4 wire plug).  Thanks for the clarification Jeff.  One more small item to add to my shopping list.
NPD sells repro red suppressor tags in their catalog. The repros are about a 80  on a scale of 100 as far as close to original  IMO. Some forum members have taken that one step further and made them spot on when compared to a original. Sorry I don't remember who I got my stack of labels from years ago.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rocket

The suppresor  is still on 6S550, but is mounted at the top of the regulator.  Still has red tag.  Our convertible still has it also, mounted at regulator bottom, with red tag. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

CharlesTurner

The red suppressor tag came on the headlight wiring harness no matter if there was a suppressor installed or not.  They were also serviced through Ford parts like this.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge