News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Expert paint help needed.

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, December 22, 2020, 02:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I have my car at paint, and need some help/advice.  I want to have the car painted using Glasurit's top of the line paint.  The paint shop uses PPG (Global) and had already put the PPG primer on the car.  In speaking with Glasurit, the say that they will not guaranty their paint UNLESS we strip off the PPG and redo the car in Glasurit primer.  From the paint experts out there, is it OK to put the Glasurit over the PPG? What could/will happen if I do? I have used Glasurit on two previous cars and was EXTREMELY happy with everything on the paint, and yes, I do like Glasurit (and Sikkens and BASF) over PPG, DuPont, and other paints out there and don't want to change.

Bill

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on December 22, 2020, 02:06:46 PM
I have my car at paint, and need some help/advice.  I want to have the car painted using Glasurit's top of the line paint.  The paint shop uses PPG (Global) and had already put the PPG primer on the car.  In speaking with Glasurit, the say that they will not guaranty their paint UNLESS we strip off the PPG and redo the car in Glasurit primer.  From the paint experts out there, is it OK to put the Glasurit over the PPG? What could/will happen if I do? I have used Glasurit on two previous cars and was EXTREMELY happy with everything on the paint, and yes, I do like Glasurit (and Sikkens and BASF) over PPG, DuPont, and other paints out there and don't want to change.

If you are happy with the quality of the shop, let them use the product line they know. Do not get sucked into a name on a label.

As for mixing products, you could have delamination issues between the products in question. I do not recommend mixing paint lines.

Bill S.

Ps: you would be surprised how much product gets relabeled under various brand names, but is not actually produced by the name on the label.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Richstang

I would follow Bill's advice on your paint shop. He has some experience in this area
What is the shops' recommendation and how often have they used Glasurit paint with a different primer base?

One of my cars was painted in Glasurit many years ago. I was very happy with that shops effort, 5 year guarantee, and the results.
However, now the clearcoat is peeling, only on the top surfaces where some minor touch-up work was done.
I suspect this was because the shop (same shop in both instances) used a different clear coat brand in the refinish work.
For all I know maybe they just didn't prep the refinishing work as well, but why take the risk.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

JohnHouston

From my misspent youth around body shops, a lot of this goes on.  I might have even done it myself . . . last week.  PPG over TCP Global Restoration shop epoxy primer, in that case.  Painters like what they like. Between good lines of paint I doubt you'll have a problem.  I can't guarantee that, though, and neither can they.  How about using a sealer?  Will they guarantee their paint over their sealer?  Pretty cheap and no need to sand.  IMHO recoating windows and proper time to offgas are more important than the name on the label . ..

John

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on December 22, 2020, 02:06:46 PM
I am not a paint expert but have been around quite a few during my many car painting process's as well as other enthusiast and restorer interactions.I never had the patience for paint and body work plus I did not want to risk my lungs with exposure . The one universal thing I have learned is not to mix paint line materials ..... There are non recommended combinations that will work however if they do not then you are on your own. With the ever changing ingredient nature of paint lines a combination may work one time and the next because of a slightly different paint mfg formula change it will not.  It reads like your mind is already made up and you are only looking for like minded opinion confirmation. It is ultimately your choice to make the hard choice of redoing the primers , compromise your perception and use a top of the line PPG product over the PPG primer or roll the dice and spray the Glasurit over the PPG primer and not have any kind of a warranty.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rukiddin

Nothing wrong with PPG ,or other paint if you use the "system" from the very beginning. I would continue with PPG.Nobody ,except you,will know.