Author Topic: 67 289 hipo Crane fireball heads  (Read 7294 times)

64cobra

• View Profile
67 289 hipo Crane fireball heads
« on: December 26, 2020, 09:32:49 PM »
I have a set of these I need to list on Ebay.  They are dated 7B2.  Were they just an aftermarket part offered by Crane or were they used by Ford/SA in some capacity.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 67 289 hipo Crane fireball heads
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 09:49:05 PM »
I have a set of these I need to list on Ebay.  They are dated 7B2.  Were they just an aftermarket part offered by Crane or were they used by Ford/SA in some capacity.
They weren't used by Ford or SA but that does not diminish the fact that they are still very extremely desirable heads . Especially for the day 2 crowd. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:15:04 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 09:53:01 PM »
Well, I can't find them.  Anyone?  I found other HiPo 289 heads, but not Fireball.

Thanks

Cory

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 10:20:29 PM »
Well, I can't find them.  Anyone?  I found other HiPo 289 heads, but not Fireball.

Thanks

Cory
If you are not familiar with Fireball heads they were a Crane Cam produced item back in the day . I am not sure when they stopped producing them. Crane typically took original hipo heads then did some combustion chamber work and ported the intake and polished the intake and exhaust ports. They also installed the largest intake and exhaust valves you could squeeze in.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 10:37:46 PM »
I believe they also reshaped the exhaust port to a round configuration vs the rectangular shape.

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 06:50:33 AM »
Correct.  These have a round exhaust port

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 06:51:10 AM »
What are you asking for them?

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 08:29:17 AM »
I’ll put them up on ebay at no reserve if anyone is interested
No clue what they are worth.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
  Another way of finding them: Post your seller ID here on the forum.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 11:46:50 AM »
    The round port idea was unique to the Crane heads. "In the day"  , virtually ANYTHING you ground on the head made it better! Harvey knew the SBFord needed help so he began offering them. The round port is not "ideal" and racers soon figured that out so the idea never really "caught on". When Ford stopped producing the heads ( '68) Crane bought pallets of them and offered them until they ran out ( around '72). To work "properly" the header flange should be round as well and the only way to get that was custom headers "back then". They are still C5OE castings but are out performed by ANY aluminum aftermarket head even one from China. The technology is just that much better.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 05:29:38 PM »

Thanks

Cory
If you are not familiar with Fireball heads they were a Crane Cam produced item back in the day . I am not sure when they stopped producing them. Crane typically took original hipo heads then did some combustion chamber work and ported the intake and polished the intake and exhaust ports. They also installed the largest intake and exhaust valves you could squeeze in.

Hi Bob, Thank you for the info.  I am familiar with the modified heads.  I still can’t find them.  Can you please post the link?

Thanks

Cory

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 06:40:37 PM »
I havent had time to grab them from the shop.  I’ll put on ebay soon.   
I’ll try to attach a pic here

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 06:50:41 PM »

Thanks

Cory

Hi Bob, Thank you for the info.  I am familiar with the modified heads.  I still can’t find them.  Can you please post the link?

Thanks

Cory
Cory, in his first post he said "I have a set of these I need to list on Ebay" . Since the post reads like they were not on ebay yet and you were asking about them I thought you were unaware of what they were. I can't post a link because at this time they are still not on ebay. Sorry for the confusion.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2020, 07:14:55 PM »
Hi Bob, Okay. That makes sense why can’t find.  Thank you.  I am not sure then why the OP
posted the thread if he was not going to do it right away or was hoping to get an offer before posting.  His posted intensions really had me confused.  Thanks for the clarification.

Cory

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »
If its not snowing tomorrow I will get to the shop to take pictures tomorrow.  They will be listed tomorrow night at no reserve like every other part from JC.  Search seller: mblackmd