Author Topic: So, I got into a Facebook pissing match about new re-creations of 1965 Shelbys..  (Read 13863 times)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I expect we will see some of these licensed continuations on display and promoted at SAAC-43
They will be there - act interested you can get a ride. The "new" R Model is how they wanted to build it back in the day. IRS, Pete Brock has done some tweeks to the front apron and rear window. Everyone with an ounce of brain knows it wasn't built in 65 and will never be worth the same money. As far as using K cars I don't really care? Yes it's more "original" but using 50 year old rode hard put away wet Mustangs makes less sense than a new unrusted/repaired replica body. When CS did the continuation convertibles back in the 80s Brunk started with real POS cars as to meet the rules to be newly manufactured it had to use 80% new parts. Poor workmanship and corner cutting didn't help those. It's a nice car but if it was me I'd build an unlicensed "original look" for a track car I'd go replica body and full cage to stiffen it up. A 450 plus cheater motor current tires on bigger wheels etc. Nostalgia is great but there are a lot of mediocre street cars today that will beat up on the best prepared cars of the 60s. Rick Titus got a lot of hate mail for stomping a well prepared 65 GT350 at Willow with CSs little Dodge Omni GLH-S street car on the pages of Hot Rod.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

markboss

• View Profile
ON FB,
 I Wrote maybe Unique Performance might step up, we know how that worked out...goes along with the 427 Cobra frames found in the attic..snake oil and mirrors!

roddster

• View Profile
You might even get some valuable dash signatures included for the 250K investment toy. 8)

LOL!!!!

And here I am sitting on a repop visor from my 66 GT I sold a few years back with Carroll, Parnelli Jones and George Follmer on it.....

427heaven

• View Profile
Most don't care or even know who PJ or George are... :'( Ol shell is what matters to the unknowing crowd.

Sfm6sxxx

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Is the cost $250k if you provide the K code or $250k inclusive of the car?  If the latter, I would be interested in how they determine the credit when you provide the car.  Regardless, it is a waste of an original K-code.  They make it sound like Pete Brock et al. are wrenching on the cars themselves....

6S1114

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
All of them have been very hands on during the build. I don't think Pete will be there very often - his parts are done and in production. The IRS has been finalized. It got some different brackets so they felt safe selling them for others to install. I'm not critical of these guys being hands on - they are all very capable but 60-80. Lots of heavy lifting better left to younger backs with a benefit of handing knowledge on to another generation. Here are the major exterior changes - Apron now includes  bumper - rear window no longer has the kink in it. A shot of a test at Willow. Pete on L - Vince from SA did IRS development of new Shelbys. Rick Titus seat time in 5R001 and the two protptypes (they built a standard and an IRS for comparison) John Morton an icon who started as a student at Shelby's race school - drove BRE Datsuns for Brock and also some 427 seat time with Ken Miles. He was even one of the stunt drivers in Gumball Rally.

NOTE: Playing with the photos so they will load........
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:49:36 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Quite a number of original street model GT350 Shelbys have been modified, converted. upgraded (select one) to R models, even some born as 1966 cars,but we seem to like them as long as they are not misrepresented as original R models, I guess.
I am not sure if this equates of using original K code Mustangs to make licensed continuations in a Shelby owned facility by former Shelby employees.
Just stirring the pot a little without negative comments about this. Personally, for the price I would rather have the correct original Shelby and use a 66 Mustang for the modified ones that contain modern upgraded parts.  This process has been done for decades and the results, which are usually very appealing, are usually termed tributes or clones or some other confusing label. 8)

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
Your thoughts? Did I defend correctly?

your thoughts look accurate.

When the guys were talking about the "continuation" GT40 Mk IVs, I never heard any reference to them being "original" (simply identical "continuation cars"). Why does this crew try to muddy the water calling them "original"?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

ITHERTZ

• View Profile
    • Custom Show Boards
One only needs to look at the crowd of owners with "continuation" CSX Cobras.  There have been many examples of owners who firmly believe and report that they have an "original" Shelby Cobra.  They will flat out deny that it is a replica, but are fully aware that they were built in the last 2 decades and not in the 60s.  The confusion is real, and it's often intentional because it's profitable. 

These Mustangs are going to be even muddier waters to navigate through.  Unlike the Cobras which are constructed with a NEW chassis and NEW body, etc...  These Mustangs were all once original K code cars.  Talk about confusing.  There will be many owners who will be bringing these to car shows and reporting up and down that they are original Shelby GT350s and they will be able to justify it in their minds and with their checkbooks.  SAAC and MCA better figure out right now how they intend to handle these when entered into concours judging.  I know one of the continuation convertibles from the 80s batch was judged a few years ago at Road America.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 09:40:44 AM by ITHERTZ »

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
Great points being raised! Also, what vins will the cars be using, ie: will they keep the original K code vins from the donor cars, create a new series (OVC 001), or attempt to continue the existing series (SFM5s56?)? Anyone have any insights on that?
65 GT350

A-Snake

• View Profile
Great points being raised! Also, what vins will the cars be using, ie: will they keep the original K code vins from the donor cars, create a new series (OVC 001), or attempt to continue the existing series (SFM5s56?)? Anyone have any insights on that?

Wouldn't anything other than the original VIN (or a state issued VIN) constitute VIN tampering?

427heaven

• View Profile
 If its not 60s its not an ORIGINAL! Really not much to argue over, if someone believes something let them believe and go on your merry way to where the originals hang out ;) New incarnations of anything are nice... Just not original-

R Code

• View Profile
I'm waiting patiently for the re-creation of the CS-ised Omnis.

The 80's are comin' BACK baby.
- Chris

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
SAAC and MCA better figure out right now how they intend to handle these when entered into concours judging.
I think it will be easy. When one of the owners brings it for judging, just flip open the 65-67 Registry to the appropriate page and ask: "if you don't mind good sir, please point to the entry that details which original R car you intend on entering for judging today"? 

Bam!!!!!  Modified Mustang and recreation judging is over there yonder .  ;D

QSS
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:59:00 PM by QuickSilverShelby »
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Personally, I can’t see any of the owners taking one of these clones to MCA or SAAC and trying to justify it being “original”. But, I could be wrong.

Has anyone ever brought a continuation car to MCA or SAAC and tried to pass it off as a original?

Maybe I’m assuming too much for $250K.  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!