News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

GT500KR rear axle bearings

Started by Jack4159, December 31, 2020, 02:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

Help please.
My KR has the 31 spline rear axle but I can't figure out which rear axle bearings and seals to order.
I have checked out numerous online sites but for a 68 mustang they only list bearings for a 28 spline axle.
I found oil seals for 31 spline 9" rear axle on NPD link but it says they are for 69-73 mustang....
If anyone has a link to where I can buy a bearing kit, or even point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Royce Peterson

Your KR uses the same 31 spline 4 pinion traction Lock axle assembly as was used in each of my cars. I pulled the axles and the bearings have Timken ID numbers on them. I took them to NAPA and they had the bearings and seals in stock. One thing they did not have was the bearing sleeves for the axles. I bought a pair from Dead Nuts On. Sorry I don't have the exact part numbers but they are clearly stamped on each bearing.

I looked a Dead Nuts and don't see them any more. Mustangs etc seems to have stock:
https://www.mustangsetc.com/9-31-spline-rear-axle-seal-sleeve/

Quote from: Jack4159 on December 31, 2020, 02:53:54 AM
Help please.
My KR has the 31 spline rear axle but I can't figure out which rear axle bearings and seals to order.
I have checked out numerous online sites but for a 68 mustang they only list bearings for a 28 spline axle.
I found oil seals for 31 spline 9" rear axle on NPD link but it says they are for 69-73 mustang....
If anyone has a link to where I can buy a bearing kit, or even point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.
Thank you.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Coralsnake

Do they have NAPA in Australia?  😉

Jack4159

Quote from: Royce Peterson on December 31, 2020, 08:43:56 AM
Your KR uses the same 31 spline 4 pinion traction Lock axle assembly as was used in each of my cars. I pulled the axles and the bearings have Timken ID numbers on them. I took them to NAPA and they had the bearings and seals in stock. One thing they did not have was the bearing sleeves for the axles. I bought a pair from Dead Nuts On. Sorry I don't have the exact part numbers but they are clearly stamped on each bearing.

I looked a Dead Nuts and don't see them any more. Mustangs etc seems to have stock:

Help please.
Thank you.
Thanks Royce,
That's a great help and much appreciated.
I had a look at the bearings today for a part number but couldn't find anything, it's probably on the side I can't see.
I'll get them off and head off to NAPA.
Cheers
Geoff

Coralsnake

Yes they do!

Good luck in 2021! As we leave the shattered dreams of 2020 behind us...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jsonline.com/amp/4093059001

Jack4159

Quote from: Coralsnake on December 31, 2020, 08:55:28 AM
Do they have NAPA in Australia?  😉
Hi Pete,
Yes we do but I had never heard of them, looks as though they have started trading in Australia fairly recently but there's about 30 stores across the country and one about 2 hrs from me so it's all good.  :), another solution found this forum is very awesome.

gt350hr

Same bearing for 28 or 31. Different seal because of the special sleeve Royce mentioned. The special seal is larger in the id to prevent chaffing of the seal on axle installation. A 28 spline seal CAN be used without the special sleeve BUT you must be VERY careful when sliding the axle in. I have '65 A/FX Mustang axles in my '66 GT350 and use the small seal because the sleeves were not made in that year. I am very cautious when removing and replacing the axles on a ( frequent) gear ratio change.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Royce Peterson

Seems to me the bearings have to be pressed free of the axles to see the number but it's been a while so I wouldn't swear to it. In the past I have sometimes been able to re - use the seal rings but it depends upon how good you are at operating a hydraulic press and how good your bearing collar fits.  If you let the fellow at the parts store press them off you will likely be disappointed by his actions :(

Quote from: Jack4159 on December 31, 2020, 09:04:44 AM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on December 31, 2020, 08:43:56 AM

Help please.
Thank you.
Thanks Royce,
That's a great help and much appreciated.
I had a look at the bearings today for a part number but couldn't find anything, it's probably on the side I can't see.
I'll get them off and head off to NAPA.
Cheers
Geoff
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

gt350hr

IIRC  "RW207"  I'm not at home to check my inventory.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Jack4159

Quote from: gt350hr on December 31, 2020, 11:50:03 AM
   Same bearing for 28 or 31. Different seal because of the special sleeve Royce mentioned. The special seal is larger in the id to prevent chaffing of the seal on axle installation. A 28 spline seal CAN be used without the special sleeve BUT you must be VERY careful when sliding the axle in. I have '65 A/FX Mustang axles in my '66 GT350 and use the small seal because the sleeves were not made in that year. I am very cautious when removing and replacing the axles on a ( frequent) gear ratio change.
    Randy
Thanks Randy, the puzzle is coming together nicely, appeciate the info!

Jack4159

Quote from: gt350hr on December 31, 2020, 05:11:18 PM
IIRC  "RW207"  I'm not at home to check my inventory.
Thanks, i will press them off this week, if you got that right from memory its a fine effort. :)

GT350AUS

Hi Jack4159,

Where abouts in Australia are you?

I'm in Melbourne

Cheers Ross

Jack4159

Quote from: GT350AUS on January 01, 2021, 11:16:58 PM
Hi Jack4159,

Where abouts in Australia are you?

I'm in Melbourne

Cheers Ross
G'day Ross