Author Topic: Share your 68 GT/CS photos  (Read 40740 times)

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
Re: Share your 68 GT/CS photos
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 08:08:51 PM »
Cool. I didn't know the HCS were made earlier, like in '66 and that you could have it in a fastback model. What years were the HCS made? Just '66?
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 05:17:42 PM »
I think all the 390-2v cars were automatic

+1

Cool. I didn't know the HCS were made earlier, like in '66 and that you could have it in a fastback model. What years were the HCS made? Just '66?

66 through 68
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »
Wow. That might be a car worth looking into, after I get my '70 Shelby 'vert.

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 12:26:45 AM »

I am a big fan of the CS and HCS and even had a 68 with 390, auto and air.  I sold it to get my current 66 Hertz.   

What I did not know is that you could get a fastback; are we sure about that?  I am not disputing what had been said it’s just that I have never seen or heard of one.

Thanks

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 01:31:17 AM »
What I did not know is that you could get a fastback; are we sure about that?  I am not disputing what had been said it’s just that I have never seen or heard of one.

In 68 only coupes were available as High Country Specials since the program sort of piggy-backed on the California Special project that that point before it died after that year.

Guess you could have ordered a 67 390 fastback as one but not sure anyone did. Registry guys or Kevin Marti might know. Would have been a bit expensive I would guess  plus the 66-67 color choices aren't always popular with allot of people today.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 03:43:12 AM »
Is there a registry? My sister had a red w/blk stripes GT/CS CA lic # ZAZ235 (don't know why I remember that) 302 auto. She bought it a few months after the 69s were out so she got it cheap. It got Tboned and they fixed it. When it got hit it opened the door gap on the passenger side to about 3/4 of an inch. The AC vent on the drivers side never fit right after it got hit. I've still got the fog lights in the garage. I took them off for my new 70 Roadrunner before she sold it. Pretty sure they are the Lucas ones.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 04:16:54 AM »

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 10:02:53 AM »
Well, I just visited the GT/CS HCS registry and there were never any fastback or convertible ones made; only coupes. Any Mustang engine could be had, from the 200-428. It's a neat site. Check it out.

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 10:40:02 AM »
Well, I just visited the GT/CS HCS registry and there were never any fastback or convertible ones made; only coupes. Any Mustang engine could be had, from the 200-428. It's a neat site. Check it out.

As mentioned before, the coupe was only available in the '68 model year for both the GT/CS and HCS. (The GT/CS was a '68 only model)

The HCS in '66 & '67 was available in all models. I've seen fastbacks, convertibles, and coupes in those years.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 12:09:02 AM »
This guy, who runs the site, states no fastback models have been documented, as of yet. I'll go back and re-read what he wrote. It's part of his section of misinformation. I forget what he calls it.

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 12:13:24 AM »
Fact or Myth? - FAQ's about the 1968 GT/CS & HCS

Following are a few of the most commonly asked questions and misconceptions about the 1968 GT/CS and HCS cars. Many of these "myths" have been misreported in so many books and magazines that they've become accepted as facts.
Please note: The term "GT/CS" as used below includes both the California Specials and 1968 High Country Specials unless noted otherwise.

Fact or Myth?
"All GT/CS's were coupes."

Fact: The coupe (or hard top) was the only body style used for the GT/CS. No convertibles and no fastbacks. It makes perfect sense that a car made primarily for the California market would be a convertible, but Ford didn't always make sense...And they didn't make a convertible GT/CS. Rumors have been spread, but to date a documented convertible has not been found.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 04:04:28 AM »
There have been a number of convertibles locally but that was before we started to look at or record VIN's. Sure wish I had so I might be able to figure out where they came from but at this point no record of anything but coupes built at San Jose. Did spend a fair amount of time looking through original ads hoping to find a dealership locally maybe selling their own conversions in 68 but never found anything. Still hold out a small sliver of hope I will find the answer so day :)

Oh well

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »
Sounds like a “jump ball” for now.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 02:24:37 PM »
Sounds like a “jump ball” for now.

Don't even think it's gotten that far ;)   Just a possibility and something that has bugged me since the early 80's. What always got me was that even way back then none of the examples locally were hot rodded in any way and one would think that if someone was building a fake and as a convertible someone  would have installed headers, aftermarket wheels, an after market radio, factory colors ..... something other than as they would have been built if they built any. Especially way back then.  Just didn't/doesn't seem to fit the idea that these were all home made by multiple people. Was playing with Mustangs at the time but came from a drag racing, customizing, and restoring older cars background

Maybe one day one will pop back up - they had to go somewhere

SNAKEBIT

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 02:24:37 PM »
Ok. Well, I'll have to go by what has been found and proven as reliable evidence of what does and truly exist as of now. I will just have to cite what I read elsewhere. Cheers!