Author Topic: Scott Fuller Tri ys  (Read 5715 times)

KDunne

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Fuller Tri ys
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 07:36:09 AM »
There really shouldn't be an argument here.  Point of views are fine. 

If you want a quality part, you are most likely going to pay more for that quality part.  My car recently went through an extensive  restoration.  When it came time for an exhaust system, there were plenty of choices out there, however my restorer made it very clear, buy a cheaper system the cost of the part may be less but the labor involved making it fit will cost you, and at the end of the day, you still don't have a factory correct system.  I chose Scott Fuller's exhaust system.  Was it more than the others, yes, however is a quality system that looks, sounds and fits correctly.  As Tim mentioned above, is it for everyone?  nope,  but for those who want correct fitting and quality there is no other decision to be made.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:03:49 AM by KDunne »

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 07:50:03 AM »
I think it's ok for people to find it expensive , on forum it's important keep it free , nothing bad has been said , just some opinion, that's fine .
I m happy Scott took time and invested , risked money to buid those assembly correct parts ,with out him we would not have any choice . Me i would save my money to be able to buy one set . i have the one from Jimon 241,  it was the best on the market available when i needed some for my car .

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 07:57:54 AM »
I think spending 1-2% the value of a car on a quality part is not a problem or unreasonable.

The issue here is its a much larger percentage for the person, because they are building a clone.

Has anyone else noticed, the people that seem to cause the biggest stink on the forum...darn it, thats twice I broke my New Years resolution.

😀

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 11:28:38 AM »
   evantugby,
        Step into Scott's shoes for a minute. We are looking at a total production figure of just under 3,000 65-66's. Out of that "AT BEST"  maybe 10% "would" be interested is an EXACT reproduction tri y header and "maybe" out of that 30 might actually buy them. 30 sets of headers "at once" would certainly bring the manufacturing cost by some amount. Once finished Scott would then "stock" for XX amount of time/years until they eventually all sell. The last set could have an inch thick dust accumulation. The outlay of money is significant for a long term sale. Not wise. There is a VERY distinct difference in a carefully hand crafted set of headers and a set of mass produced headers like the Thorley brand. No disrespect to them but if you think their "fitter" is going to take care to make sure "your" set is perfect you are only fooling yourself.
MANY have made reproduction tri y headers for over 40 years and 99% of them SUCK in quality /fit/finish. Take a set of the nice looking Taiwan stainless tri ys and "try" to bolt them on. You might as well have flushed the cost down the toilet.
  Expensive? YES . For those who want a concours set , they are reasonable.

Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 01:21:41 PM »

Agree with the consensus that these are a premium part and fully understand/agree with the cost. The entire Fuller line is exactingly faithful and elevates the class of restorations at the high end which helps everyone (even the cloners!).
(I actually marvel at looking at the detail of some of his product line on what some may consider obscure parts)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 01:38:01 PM »
A 2020 Christmas Gift

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 03:05:08 PM »
My little Bernadette sure likes the 67 tips she got from Scott a month or so ago.

She says Scott's parts are the only parts which meet or exceed her discerning quality standards and that she wouldn't feel comfortable hanging anything else off the back of an unrestored 67 GT500..

She went on to say that, despite some griping about price out there on the interwebs, she believes that Scott's quality so far exceeds that of other manufacturers that his products are also the market leader when it comes to the value/dollar ratio.

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 03:34:39 PM »
     I would challenge ANYONE here to make a set of tri ys that compare to Scott's and sell them for less. I would bet 90% of those here aren't even capable of building something close let alone as nice.

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 04:14:44 PM »

I completely agree. Fuller's mission was to authentically replicate the 1965-1966 items as produced which I'm certain that he has done (although I haven't seen this iteration of the tri-y's-but other items of his workmanship, most impressive).
What is simply mind boggling though, is that the original Cyclones (at least mine) were a low-end header! and quickly discarded (1975). I appreciate the concurs producer's goal is not to make a high-end header per-se but to make an authentic header per the Cyclone pedestrian standards of 1965 (in my car's case).
It is stupefying that it takes a producer of Scott Fuller's calibre and talent to bring such an item it market as -as stated- as all of the other tri-y's have fallen so short, although I have always heard Jim Cowles' were nice pieces.
What a conundrum.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 09:58:43 PM »

I completely agree. Fuller's mission was to authentically replicate the 1965-1966 items as produced which I'm certain that he has done (although I haven't seen this iteration of the tri-y's-but other items of his workmanship, most impressive).
What is simply mind boggling though, is that the original Cyclones (at least mine) were a low-end header! and quickly discarded (1975). I appreciate the concurs producer's goal is not to make a high-end header per-se but to make an authentic header per the Cyclone pedestrian standards of 1965 (in my car's case).
It is stupefying that it takes a producer of Scott Fuller's calibre and talent to bring such an item it market as -as stated- as all of the other tri-y's have fallen so short, although I have always heard Jim Cowles' were nice pieces.
What a conundrum.
It is because the big header mfg do not care about the perceived historic details nor do they give much credibility to Shelby enthusiasts as a whole IMO. Many have tried to talk to them about it over the years and the general response is why should we change because no one has had a issue before.Getting the message through a bunch of stubborn, I think I know best, type's heads is the challenge. And it has not been successful until first Jim Cowles and now Scott Fuller who were forward thinking enough to notice the need.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 10:50:03 AM »
   Bob,
       You are spot on about the "bigs" having any interest in making an "antique" header like the tri y. With corporate buy outs and different sales philosophies anything short of a person high in management owning a SAI vehicle and wanting a set is a dead end. Smaller companies like Traction Master still enjoy ( and support) "historic" parts manufacturing. Sure they have changed a bit , but they still do it. With Cyclone being "absorbed" long ago we are left with "purists" that are passionate enough to make quality reproduction parts. Jim used to wait until he had at least five sets on order just to get his header man to think about making them . Add to that the "evolution" of the flanges away from the original look and now besides the actual craftsman , proper dies had to be made instead of using modern stuff. It's not as easy as it looks.
   Randy

Boxerville's Manor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 06:00:28 PM »

Scott,
The rest of the mustang world needs you to solve the problem of price now.  We want your product.
Now you are debating. I’m resisting locking this thread down but I want there to be free speech and fair opinions. You continue to suggest the price is inflated in an area (manufacturing) you obviously know nothing about. This is now 2 forums I have addressed your uninformed comments about what it costs to manufacture these parts. There is no margin for price reduction. This is what it costs to make top quality parts. Period. If you don’t like it move on and buy the lesser parts.
Every year my wife asks me what I want for my birthday. My reply is always the same. A slab side Cobra. Guess what? I never get one because I can’t afford it (or her).  Rather than contact every cobra owner and suggest they are overcharging for their cars I find contentment in what I have rather than whining about it.
Let’s try a different approach, what is your salary? Now justify it for me you are worthy of it.
I’m waiting.

By the way are these for a Shelby or a NJ Shelby clone?

TLea,
Don't get communist on us here by shutting people's perspectives down.  I haven't suggested Scott's price is inflated.  I certainly don't think he is marking these up drastically in price.  Scott has solved a problem of bringing an accurate Shelby part to the community.  But now the price point is the new problem--it's not affordable to most.  Sounds like it's a problem he cant solve on his own.  Maybe he doesn't want to.  But I wish some company could.  At one point someone else was making headers for Shelby (see photo).  I'm surprised a company hasn't been able to do it accurately.   

But look TLea, to get your mind off my comments, remember this:  in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

Oh, and the best damn Shelby clone I can afford.  :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:06:46 PM by evantugby »

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 07:21:36 PM »
Hardly communist ( interesting you would use those words in this environment) just factual. You have eluded very strongly on this forum and another that Scott has a sizable margin of profit. Why do I come to that conclusion? You keep comparing a 2700 item to an 800 dollar one so to be affordable one would assume a reduction of 5-10% that would wipe out his profit margin. Maybe he should give them to you for less than his cost like they do in some ( what was the word you used?) countries.
By the way interesting you posted that check. Probably not for tri ys but the Shelby competition headers. Want a set? I make them 😁
Your 15 minutes of fame are over   Locking down
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 07:41:51 PM by TLea »