News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Checkered Flag : Jim Cowles (acman63)

Started by jesSPR, January 04, 2021, 03:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68blk500c

My best to Jim's family and associates.  At a loss for words.

Bob Gaines

Jim was a one of the best . A legend and a giant in the Shelby world ,one of my first teachers,and a friend. He will be missed very much . RIP
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

He surely will be missed. Very easy to hear his voice as I remember so many exchanges.

He and his family is in my families prayers and thoughts in the time of reflection.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

EdwardGT350

1966 GT350 6s1761

Cobra567

Wow.  Condolences to Jim's family.
RIP

6s1640

Hi Jes,

Thank you for all you are doing to help Jim and his family.  I know it must be hard to be wondering around the shop and Jim not being there.  I too am with heavy heart that he has passed.  I had only met Jim a few times, talked to him on the phone many times, lots of emails and IM's.  I don't know how he kept everyone's projects straight.  I had been to the place two times and Jim took me and you to lunch on the second trip when I had more time.  I will always remember.  Take care buddy.  Jim rest in peace and God speed.

Cory

Kent

Rest in Peace Jim, I talked to him several times and latest just some weeks ago and I met him at the SAAC Meets. He always remembered me, the german. Really a guy that knew what he was doing. We all will miss him.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

DC-DD

CSX 4133

What an extreme loss of information and expertise on all things Shelby with Jim's passing. My sincere condolences to his family.

Rickmustang

God speed Jim! Thanks for the shop tour you gave me last year. Your parts have touched every Shelby I've owned since 1984. Rick.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

jswoody

Very sad to hear the news.  Aceman63 was indeed a great source of information and always willing to help. Condolences to Jim's family and friends.  He will be missed. 

SFM66H

Jim was instrumental in me acquiring my Hertz car (6S1615) in 1976. He was also paramount during the restoration of it that I then started five years later. After a Shelby Convention award it went into complete hibernation for over three decades.

When I made the decision to resurrect it and make it road worthy again, I knew that I wanted Jim beside me on that first drive. This is he and I when I drove the car for the very first time in over 34 years:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxNpe6eVj80SYlFQSmJrNmpCbTg/view?usp=sharing

I have always felt very fortunate that I moved to a city where a guy like Jim happened to have a shop - four miles from my house in fact. Shelbys have always been my passion, and to be able to share that with someone like Jim for 45 years has been a priviledge.

Thanks Jim.

Kieth Champine
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

cobramike

Jessie, thanks for letting us know about Jim. We've been praying for him since hearing about his illness. I know he was a big part of your life as well as the Shelby community. We will have his family and yours in our prayers.

Mike McGinley
Mike McGinley

64cobra

I remember one story Jim told me about he and Ken Young getting lost in Harlem delivering 6S2378 (one of the 66 GT350 convertibles).   This had to be in the 70's.  Too funny.   Anybody have any other fun stories about Jim?

Shawn

A great man for sure.  Thank you Jim for all your encouragement and time spent.  You were a big inspiration to me and will be surely missed.

God Bless your Family