News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Checkered Flag : Jim Cowles (acman63)

Started by jesSPR, January 04, 2021, 03:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGlover67

Quote from: Special Ed on January 05, 2021, 01:42:46 PM
I remember back in the 80s on my first trip to jims shelby shop and thinking man this guy is a serious shelby guy as he had his shop built with white metal tin and blue metal tin stripes the shelby cobra colors and how KOOL is that. Jim knew all year shelbys and cobras and hi-po fords and all the rare parts.  He was one of the first ford guys who turned his hobby over into a business when these cars were first starting to get an interest and real car guys were buying and restoring them just because they liked them or (like me) couldnt afford them when still in school with gas and insurance rates skyrocketing.  Back in mid 80s u were lucky to get some of your $ back from a car u restored so u have to give much credit to guys like Jim who back then did it more for the love of the cars than trying to make any real $ back then. Jim Cowles should be in the shelby cobra hall of fame . GODSPEED JIM

That is a great idea, how do we get a plaque or something created?  I'm sure lots of people would donate to getting that made up.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

CSX 4133

It might even be a idea to have the next SAAC event dedicated to Jim Cowles in some way. I for one would contribute to a memorial, or even a special trophy given annually at the SAAC Convention in his honor. Just a thought.

~Steven

jesSPR

I was in middle school n the late 80's and learned about Shelby's from my father who owned 67 GT500 #1926 while he was in the navy in '69. I started reading everything I could find on Mustangs and Shelbys. One day my dad took me for a ride and drove past jim's shop. He said "Check that out, there is a Shelby Shop right here in Green Bay!"
I wanted to stop in and he said "Nah, thats someones business, not a museum. Maybe someday you can work there if you are still really into Shelby's."
In 2006 I was in search of a better IT job market and planning to move to MA where some close friends of mine had moved after college. A friend/former coworker, who happened to be working for jim at the time, was moving to OK for an aerospace job. He suggested I talk to Jim. I did one swap meet with him and we hit it off.  Soon after I cancelled my move and set up a desk at Jims... and that was that.

polyglas

I met Jim 43 years ago at a Northwoods SAAC event in Waukesha Wi. In 1985 Jim was best man at my wedding. We put over a 200,000 Miles on Jim's 1979 Blue E-350 and my Wells Cargo trailer traveling the country buying Obsolete Ford parts from over 3,000 Ford Dealers. We were both hooked on the pursuit of original Ford parts and the thrill of the hunt. Jim liked 65-66 , I liked 69-70, we sold the rest to fund our projects. My kids referred to Jim as mean Jim when they were young and Jim loved the nickname. Jim was like a favorite uncle to all my kids over the years. In 2016 I was asked to be head judge of SAAC. My reply was only if Jim Cowles would take the Administrator position.  RIP Jim
                                                                                                  Perkins Family

mygt350

Jim, my friend, I will see you again in a minute.
Martin
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Harris Speedster

Quote from: BGlover67 on January 05, 2021, 03:34:20 PM
Quote from: Special Ed on January 05, 2021, 01:42:46 PM
I remember back in the 80s on my first trip to jims shelby shop and thinking man this guy is a serious shelby guy as he had his shop built with white metal tin and blue metal tin stripes the shelby cobra colors and how KOOL is that. Jim knew all year shelbys and cobras and hi-po fords and all the rare parts.  He was one of the first ford guys who turned his hobby over into a business when these cars were first starting to get an interest and real car guys were buying and restoring them just because they liked them or (like me) couldnt afford them when still in school with gas and insurance rates skyrocketing.  Back in mid 80s u were lucky to get some of your $ back from a car u restored so u have to give much credit to guys like Jim who back then did it more for the love of the cars than trying to make any real $ back then. Jim Cowles should be in the shelby cobra hall of fame . GODSPEED JIM

That is a great idea, how do we get a plaque or something created?  I'm sure lots of people would donate to getting that made up.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As food for thought;
Jim Kimberly has a race in his honor with Trophy, The Kimberly Cup.

I would like to suggest that a new class of Trophy be formed ;
The COWLES CUP OF EXCELLENCE
Any seconds ?
respectfully,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

SFM5S000

A true loss from all aspects. Jim was a wonderful human being. Condolences to his family. Rest in peace my friend.
God Speed

~Earl J

Brant

I wish that I could remember when my dad and/or I first met or talked with Jim.  It had to be at least 40 years ago...crazy. I don't have any special stories, but we certainly did a lot of business over the years.

We have lost an important icon in our little Shelby world, and I'm sure the loss is felt in other ways that we are not aware. Everyone needs to get out there and enjoy these cars in the manner that makes them happy...showing, driving, racing, whatever.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Side-Oilers

^^^+1 Brant^^   

Some day (hopefully long into the future) each of us will get their own Checkered Flag.   Drive those cars now!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

camp upshur

My dealings with Jim were just as described by all.
How nice to be so highly thought of by so many.
Jim has left a wonderful legacy of friendship and goodwill.
Bravo.
Steve A

corbins

Quote from: camp upshur on January 05, 2021, 06:26:03 PM

My dealings with Jim were just as described by all.
How nice to be so highly thought of by so many.
Jim has left a wonderful legacy of friendship and goodwill.
Bravo.
Steve A
+1 --- a good soul lost.

migaffney

Sorry to hear of his passing .
Mike Gaffney

Shane

Very sorry to hear this. Thoughts are with his family and his many friends in the Shelby community and beyond.

Dan353

1109RWHP

Maybe he will be hanging out with Tony Branda now.