Author Topic: Checkered Flag : Jim Cowles (acman63)  (Read 27423 times)

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Checkered Flag : Jim Cowles (acman63)
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2021, 07:26:58 PM »
I will always be proud to say that Jim restored my 1966 GT350. I live outside of Houston and sent my car to Green Bay for restoration because of Jim. There were plenty of restoration shops to choose from, but when I talked to Jim he immediately impressed me with his knowledge about these cars. And his honesty practically radiated through the phone. An important quality when you’re sending your car over a thousand miles away for a project like that.

All the bills were more than fair, and the end result exceeded my expectations.

What a great guy!

And I had the pleasure of meeting his wife and daughter (Go Hokies!) a few years ago. Both fine people.

You’ll be missed, Jim. Condolences to your family.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:10:01 PM by SFM6S087 »

IslandCSX8000

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2021, 08:24:52 PM »
I started dealing with Jim in 1980 with my then new-to-me 66 GT350 6S632. Always helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

Anecdote to mention is that my wife, thinking of what to buy for Christmas that year, called Jim for ideas. He suggested (strongly) that she buy me an NOS brake proportioning valve, which she did. Jim was sure these would become unobtainable over time. When I sent the '66 in to Jim for restoration a few years ago, I was able to include that new/NOS valve for installation. Funny sending back to the source after 35+ years.

Jim and Jesse also helped with a beautiful CSX 8000 build for me a couple of years ago. Princess Blue CSX8042.
Visiting Jim back at the shop was a highlight for me. Meeting in person after all these years.

RIP Jim, and my condolences to the family.

Eric

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2021, 08:50:11 PM »
Jim was one of the people who was instrumental at getting me into the Shelby world.  I was introduced to Jim through Alan Andrea.  Between the tutelage, guidance and advice of Jim and Dave Mathews, I was able to get an amazing car.

I will miss Jim's honesty.  I will miss how he could be fired up on the phone and seem short on time, and then after a few minutes, I couldn't get him off the phone....we would just talk and talk.  I was honored when he asked me to be a 1967 Shelby judge.

Thank you for all that you did for the Shelby community.

Rest in Peace Jim...I am glad you did not suffer.  You will be missed.

Shelby73

• 828-308-8103
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2021, 09:19:13 PM »
I just found out and I'm in shock! He was a good man that helped everyone in the Shelby world in some form. He will be greatly missed. I'm so sorry for his family.
67 Cobra CSX3251  65 K-code Conv
65 5S073.               65 A-code fastback
66 6S304.                67 390 GTA Conv.
66 Hertz 6S1863.      67 Playboy Coupe
68 KR Conv. 2529.     70 Mach1
07 Shelby Hertz Conv. 69 Z/28
66 MK1A Tiger.            66 Vette coupe
13 GT500                   
69 Boss 429

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2021, 09:59:38 PM »
Don't remember when I first met Mr. Cowles, But this is from 1978. SAAC 3, Ontario Motor Speedway.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 05:21:21 PM by jguyer »
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2021, 12:33:18 AM »
It’s truly hard to believe that Jim is gone.

Jim is THE person who introduced me into the Shelby world. I visited his shop and lusted over the cars I saw; which led him to help facilitate the purchase of my first Shelby. I went on to purchase many parts from him. And, I eventually purchased the fastback shell from him that has become my GT350R restomod - again, for which he supplied many parts.

I’m deeply saddened by Jim’s passing. He was not a perfect person (as non of us are), yet I treasured knowing and interacting with him. I pray that I get to see him again some day.

I miss you, Jim. I may not have said it enough, but thanks for all you did for me.

Ruben
Nothing beats a classic!

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2021, 12:35:17 AM »
Jguyer:  Where was that '78 photo shot?   
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Hov

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2021, 02:40:50 AM »
Thanks Jessie for all your years of work at Shelby Parts and Restoration and your continued support to keep it going. We all know how much Jim appreciated your efforts over the years. Sometimes it is hard to convey thoughts into words, this is one of those times.  Living apart from people you have a common interest with sometimes is limited to phone conversations.  I can still hear his voice. For me, there was always a lot of jokes, like the first time I flew out to visit his home track, the beautiful Road America. Jim told me to bring some mountaineering gear in case I wanted to go climbing. I kind of knew better, as the plane descended out of the clouds, my hunch was confirmed, Wisconsin was flat as a pancake. I was fortunate enough to walk around Road America with Jim and sample one of the several famous bratwursts I enjoyed that weekend. Then there was football. Jim once told me he had been to every home Green Bay Packers game since 1969. The last time I was at his shop, he brought out some of his Packers memorabilia, the good stuff from the 1950's -1960's. We would sometimes exchange e mails during the Packer's away games, knowing that he was at all the home games. Needless to say, there have been a lot of nail biting Seahawk/Packer games over the years, how fitting if the Seahawks make it far enough, it will go through Green Bay. Every time I see a Packers game on TV, I think of Cowles.  Jim will still be watching the Packers, it will just be from a higher elevation.
Jim is not gone. He lives in each of us, in one way or another. It may be through our personal memories or the item we acquired from him. His legacy will continue through the cars he restored and the parts that passed through his fingertips eventually making it onto a car. In the end, his parts allow us to enjoy these cars to their fullest.
To his family, condolences in this difficult time. To Jim, thanks for all you did for us over the many years.   Mark Hovander         

Steve Z

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2021, 03:06:06 AM »
    Sorry to hear this.  RIP

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2021, 03:09:11 AM »
Indeed Mr Mark.
Any of us that try to be craftsman and create something achieve a small amount of immortality in our creations.
Jim excelled at this, his work is viewed daily by thousands.

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2021, 03:41:31 AM »
So sorry to hear of Jim’s passing, he will be missed. RIP Jim

bluemax

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2021, 06:04:34 AM »
Heavy heart, I still can't believe it.

While I have owned my car for over 20 years now, I only within the past couple of years started seriously working on it. Jim was one of the first persons I called to get me started.

Tremendous loss for us all... RIP Jim.

6S235

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2021, 06:07:52 AM »
RIP Jim. Condolences to his family. I've done business with Jim since the 80s. He was the guy who educated a confused new Shelby owner(mid 80s) on why the discs from my 70 Shelby were not the same as ones on my Mach1. He will be missed. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

SFM6S

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2021, 08:52:46 AM »
Jim, RIP; Sharon and Emily, our thoughts and prayers are with you. I first started buying stuff from JC in 1984 and he was helpful and talkative from the first conversation. Uncle Jim always was always able to help or point you in the right direction. The last time I spent time with Jim was at MCACN in 2018 when neither one of us knew the other would be there. We spent most of Saturday afternoon palling around and he introduced me to Bob Perkins and many of his customers that were there. Jim was forever a class act.

Joe Bolis

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2021, 09:19:12 AM »
RIP JIm
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI