Author Topic: 69 GT500 Fender inner colors  (Read 3666 times)

Calypso Coral

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
69 GT500 Fender inner colors
« on: January 05, 2021, 04:23:30 PM »
Recently started removing aftermarket under coating on my 69 GT 500. I found that the passenger side was mostly body color all the way to the front of the fender inner. On the driver’s side I found body color through the shock tower. Can anyone tell me where I might find information on what it should look like?
Thanks

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 69 GT500 Fender inner colors
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 04:32:32 PM »
Not sure that we've posted pictures of these details since the forum resurrection. Search might turn up something if there the other thread you posted to and its attached article should help.

There is not one exact way it should look like but a range or a number of possible finished looks based on how far or how much effort each  of the multiple painters did when each painted in that area of the unibody

Working on relinking since these versions are not storied on the same site as the original ConcoursMustang Forum ones are

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=381.msg110883#msg110883
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 04:34:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 05:14:43 PM »
You have to clarify “what it should like”

What was intended and what really happened are different

Calypso Coral

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 09:13:20 AM »
The link really doesn’t show the inner fender detail. So would you say it’s a safe bet to reproduce what I found? Here’s an image of the passenger side.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 09:56:14 AM »
It appears you may have cleaned the black off with the undercoating.  Black out sprayed over body color would be easily cleaned off because the body color was not scuffed.

The oem specification was all black on the backsides of all four aprons. Hard to reach areas like bottoms of the upper lips and battery tray were often bare steel.

Interestingly, you have also revealed the factory “DR” notation written in chalk.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:15:51 AM by Coralsnake »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 01:33:13 PM »
Would agree with Pete that like many the cleaning process has removed with it multiple or single layers of paint (heavy or lighter overspray patterns) during the process., Also I think you've figured out or have not cleaned the inside of the shock tower where someone rattle canned that surface. To others reading that inner fender marking is not something all 69 Shelbys came with so don't copy it blindly ;)

As you may have already discovered the patterns are the same as any other Mustang built at Dearborn that year except they skipped the sound deadener application since there were not fenders installed at the plant

The base was a red oxide colored epoxy based primer sealer followed by an extension forward of the body color on the outside of the  rear inner fender panel sometimes all the way into the shock tower and in some other examples the front edge of the shock tower. Different side were often different. Then when the engine compartment was painted along with the radiator support the black could be introduced slightly  when the face of the radiator support was painted - producing a shadow and some overspray of black on the forward inner fender panels. In other examples the painter applied the black directly to that front inner panel extending rearward, sometimes to the forward edge (or about there in places) of the shock tower. Final look is over three colors/finishes - From the rear - body color - red oxide then black.

Of course this would be over the earlier applied messy seam sealer at the rear

Basic possible look from the article

A few pictures until the link is fixed. Ignore, please any of the sound deadener in the Mustangs pictures they still help understand some of the process and possible spray patterns. Edges of paint can be jagged or sharp since during cleaning their finer oversprays have also been removed

Have plenty more just in a hurry to go pick up an order but wanted to post to help

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 01:35:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Calypso Coral

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 02:01:05 PM »
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the help.

Calypso Coral

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 02:10:24 PM »
Any idea where I can order the epoxy primer in the correct color?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 04:04:37 PM »
Any idea where I can order the epoxy primer in the correct color?

First remember the color and tone was used on  the front end of the unibody from approx firewall forward

Nothing out of the can will likely match the original so if you start with the DDL (PPG) or other products it will need to be tinted. Sorry no easy button when it comes to good restorations

Calypso Coral

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 06:25:17 PM »
That’s ok, thanks