Author Topic: 1967 GT500 Thermactor Configurations  (Read 11287 times)

nightmist67

• View Profile
1967 GT500 Thermactor Configurations
« on: March 30, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
There was an article in The Shelby American several years ago that detailed a number of production changes that occurred during the 1967 Shelby manufacturing run.  Regarding the proper configuration of the thermactor emission system for my 1967 GT500, I was told anecdotally that there were several configurations of that system during the production run.  The limited photos that I have seen to date lack detail as to the exact orientation and location of the gulp valve and filter canister.  The best photos I have seen are currently on eBay for item #263546802083, a 1967 GT500 with thermactor in accordance with the VIN tag.  This is a late production car.  That being said, do the eBay photos accurately reflect the typical  positioning of the gulp valve and filter canister?  If not, are there any detailed photos, sketches, or drawings that depict how the set-up for the thermactor system should be for specific serial number ranges, and do they indicate such aspects as whether or not the filter canister should be attached to the shock tower?

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 GT500 Thermactor Configurations
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 05:58:43 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500/263546802083?hash=item3d5c9d0fa3:g:d0YAAOSwwB1apyQc&vxp=mtr

Here is a solid original black plate California car, it was sold new in Laguna Beach California, where it remained with the 1st owner until 2005.  The second owner Pat Hoxie of Florida purchased the car in 2005 off of EBay.  The car was being sold by Peterson Museum on the behalf of the original owner’s widow, her husband, Lawrence Lydick, passed away 10 years earlier in 1995.  Pat Hoxie meticulously maintained the car and has driven it approximately 2,000 miles during his 13 years of ownership. Mechanically the car runs out very strong.  Pat thought the car to be the fastest and best driving of his vintage Shelbys, much more impressive than his 68 GT500 KR.  Upon driving it myself I was quite impressed, the car is pretty original with reportedly one repaint, probably done back in the 80’s.  The interior is original showing the patina of being a 50+ year old.  When you look at the engine compartment you see the original California smog still in place, just as it was when it left the factory assembly line in 1967.  The floors are extremely solid, I took pre-clean and wiped off the 50 year old undercoat from the main section of the floor to reveal the original red oxide primer.  Before Pat and I worked a trade we drilled out one of the rivets from the original Shelby tag for the first time to get the Ford VIN underneath.  This is the only way to confirm the numbers match.  You cannot get a Marti Report without providing both sets of numbers.  The Marti Report confirms that these are a match and that the car is correct.  The car was sold new at South Coast Motors in Laguna Beach California, it has 129,352 miles on it.  The original owner reported that the engine was rebuilt in 1988 when the car had 122,400 miles on it, that was 30 years ago.  It has been driven about 7,000 miles since.  This is not a trailer queen by any means, but there is a lot of fun and enjoyment left in this vintage big block Shelby. You can enjoy it just as Pat did in its present condition or it would be a great candidate for a cosmetic restoration.  I set my price at what I see people asking for tribute cars. This is the real deal with supporting documents and ownership history since new.  Next to the 1965 GT350 it is probably the second most valuable of all the early Shelbys.  It is the only year and last year that Shelby personally built a big block 428 with 2 x 4’s GT500. The 68 thru 70 models were built at Ford with only a single 4 barrel.  The car comes with its original owner’s manual, sales brochure, Deluxe Marti Report, and ownership history.  For more information call Don at Vantage Sportscars Cell – 407-497-2122.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 06:09:21 PM »
I have tried to load pictures but this site still can't handle those worth a damn.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »
Got the two engine images from the e-pay listing 2112 posted - tried to post the two images but get a message that the upload folder is full!!

will try later...

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 10:15:57 PM »
Got the two engine images from the e-pay listing 2112 posted - tried to post the two images but get a message that the upload folder is full!!

will try later...

What do you need posted? The Engine pictures?

For all viewing its easy top see the dozens of details that have been changed, parts replaced, repainted (right or incorrectly ::)  so just don't go copying. Same warning would be given to anything found on the internet or in magazines. Look for multiple examples from the same plant and time period as your car to get confirmation then double check again ;)

Remember that this is a pretty late automatic car.

............Regarding the proper configuration of the thermactor emission system for my 1967 GT500, I was told anecdotally that there were several configurations of that system during the production run. 

You might want to provide your cars completion date at San Jose so we can focus on your needs or are you looking for every possible combination and change?

That being said, do the eBay photos accurately reflect the typical  positioning of the gulp valve and filter canister? 

Depends on the answer above. Does your car have the original shock towers?   Are their holes for the bracket in the passenger shock towers? Many past owners have made them disappear over the years so the lack is not always proof or the truth of how it was built every time

If not, are there any detailed photos, sketches, or drawings that depict how the set-up for the thermactor system should be for specific serial number ranges, and do they indicate such aspects as whether or not the filter canister should be attached to the shock tower?

Nothing finished I know of. Stated one years ago (along with maybe 40 other articles) and work on it between requests for other things.  Seems like its easier to deal with the details on an individual basis so far.  Must be a few dozen pages long with pictures of individual parts (multiple versions in some cases) cross referencing Add/Delete change notes and factory 390 systems. The basis for the system. Most of the running changes were changes made for the Mustang that rolled over to the Shelby application
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:26:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 10:22:20 PM »
There was an article in The Shelby American several years ago that detailed a number of production changes that occurred during the 1967 Shelby manufacturing run.  Regarding the proper configuration of the thermactor emission system for my 1967 GT500, I was told anecdotally that there were several configurations of that system during the production run.  The limited photos that I have seen to date lack detail as to the exact orientation and location of the gulp valve and filter canister.  The best photos I have seen are currently on eBay for item #263546802083, a 1967 GT500 with thermactor in accordance with the VIN tag.  This is a late production car.  That being said, do the eBay photos accurately reflect the typical  positioning of the gulp valve and filter canister?  If not, are there any detailed photos, sketches, or drawings that depict how the set-up for the thermactor system should be for specific serial number ranges, and do they indicate such aspects as whether or not the filter canister should be attached to the shock tower?
If you have the two holes in the shock towers for the filter canister bracket then you can be sure it was meant to be attached there . If no holes for the bracket then it will be suspended and held in place (although shaky) by the tension created by the hoses. Just to make things confusing I have seen the holes for the bracket on early and late cars and have also seen the no hole shock tower early or late.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 11:18:34 PM »
For discussion

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 11:26:21 PM »
For discussion

Without VINs for cars not sure how that would work. And with VINs we would simply be picking some owners car apart without their request.  Not sure if that is going to make some very happy

Just a thought since I don't even comment publically on cars up for sale

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 11:46:46 PM »
For discussion

Without VINs for cars not sure how that would work. And with VINs we would simply be picking some owners car apart without their request.  Not sure if that is going to make some very happy

Just a thought since I don't even comment publically on cars up for sale

One picture is from period and the other is anonymous. Not surely how you can upset someone with that.

Wiper fluid containers give us a vague idea if they are early or later production.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:50:04 PM by 2112 »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 12:42:14 AM »
One picture is from period and the other is anonymous. Not surely how you can upset someone with that.

Wiper fluid containers give us a vague idea if they are early or later production.

Since changes are often tied to specific date (example before or after 10/3) not sure how vague will work with any accuracy. Don’t’ want to bring up just negatives related to this effort but bad information is likely worst than no info

nightmist67

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 09:33:57 AM »
If it is any help in determining the emission system configuration specific to my car, it was built at San Jose 1/31/67 (low 900s Shelby serial number range) and it has the original shock towers.  There are holes in the shock tower for the filter canister bracket.

Specifically, I want to know the proper locations and orientations of the gulp valve and filter canister for my car.  I have seen various photos of the gulp valve oriented upright, perpendicular to the hood and parallel to the passenger side fender, and perpendicular to the hood and at an approximate 45 degree angle to the passenger side fender.  With respect to the filter canister, I have seen photos of the filter canister attached to the shock tower via its bracket or simply suspended by its hoses. 

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »
#962 has a completion date of 2/2/67 SJ and there are vintage engine pics.

There are several differences however with #1183 and it's 1/26/67 SJ completion date.

Still can't post pictures this morning.  If someone can link to 962's engine pics, that would be helpful.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 11:57:46 AM »
#962 has a completion date of 2/2/67 SJ and there are vintage engine pics.

If someone can link to 962's engine pics, that would be helpful.

Where are they located?

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 12:13:24 PM »
Until the current issue with posting photos is resolved, they would have to be linked from a non SAAC server.  Anyone with the pics and an offsite photo host should have success, otherwise we wait for the administrators.

I had been using Photobucket for this but we know what happened there.

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976