Author Topic: Repo or real? 428 CJ exhaust shroud  (Read 2653 times)

Rukiddin

• View Profile
Repo or real? 428 CJ exhaust shroud
« on: January 06, 2021, 07:00:42 PM »
Found this in my shop during a hunt and not sure if real or repo. I want to be sure to list accurately. Thanks!
I believe this to be original...no brackets..the paint has that “original” look and appearance. No primer,or build up from engine enamels. Thanks for your input....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:25:21 AM by Rukiddin »

Special Ed

• View Profile
Re: Repo or real? 428 CJ exhaust shroud
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 08:00:31 PM »
 I think its a new take off   u got the 2 brackets?

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 08:29:00 PM »
Looks real. If you hold real one in one hand and repo in other you’ll feel a difference in weight. Repo heavier

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 04:10:20 AM »
+1 on it looking like one of the two versions that were made for that purpose and engine
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 11:29:43 AM »
   The "near perfect" repo I got from New Jersey had a square "corner" where the originals have a radius. The rest was good and looked right "on the engine" as the area in question was not visible when installed. Yours is an original IMHO as well.
   Randy
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 10:33:56 AM by gt350hr »
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 08:34:52 PM »
Here is a side by side comparison of the two different versions I've found. All of thew service replacements I've seen were the un ribbed version. The twwo versions may have been the results of different providers. Sorry don't know the VIN (and in turn the assembly plant) from which each came :(

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 09:58:36 PM »
Jeff are u sure the non-pitted shield u got isnt from the first repo run? I have never seen or heard of 2 version of the 428 cj heat shield. Back when George H. first started making the cj heat shields snorkles s-tubes etc. they were lacking detail and had alignment problems and the 2 mounting  brackets were lacking details. I loaned george new take off parts to have corrections made and make correct looking brackets so the newer and improved cj parts that have been made since then are much better. It was mostly the longer or taller elbow and front bracket on the first repo that caused fitting problems so look at that area closely Jeff S. on your non pitted heat shield and also weight them as the repo was made from heavier gauge metal like most repo parts as i was told tooling is cheaper when useing thicker metal but u lose detailing with thicker metal i think and less chance of stretching and tearing than thin metal when parts are stamped and formed to shape.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 10:13:10 PM by Special Ed »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 11:17:27 PM »
Certain? Since I got both as individual pieces can be certain of anything. On the first repos did they put ribs in the side? There is also additional metal ahead of the center/forward mounting hole we can see. Wasnt' as pitted as the other one and not all of the spot welds were holding form the main body to the tube. Not sure if I have both still out in the garage.

IF it is an early repo then the pictures can serve as a good comparison that way :)

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 10:44:03 AM »
   I agree with Ed  Jeff , the 'ribbed" version is suspicious looking . No "tab notches" in the inside for the tube , the extra material and the flange on the tube itself are all very different than the original pictured. I'll dig out my original SJ piece for my 68.5 and look it over this weekend.
  Randy

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 12:42:28 PM »
   I agree with Ed  Jeff , the 'ribbed" version is suspicious looking . No "tab notches" in the inside for the tube , the extra material and the flange on the tube itself are all very different than the original pictured. I'll dig out my original SJ piece for my 68.5 and look it over this weekend.
  Randy

No problem and have not found another like it so as always discussion is good. This is how we discover new things or confirm that our earlier beliefs are still right. If it is either then someone in this crowd surely has seen another in either case since this is likely not something someone cracked out at home

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 01:41:56 PM »
  Jeff ,
     It could also be an XE version , made before final production approval. "If" so , it would only have had a small ink stamped number on it. The "waves" would cause it to not be accepted by Ford. The other differences could have been requested too. "Every" part was at one time an XE numbered part before being approved. Fan belt to flex plate and oil pan to air cleaner. Though the parts were not meant to leave Ford , we all know they occasionally did.
   Randy

Blackcar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 01:42:26 PM »
This part has been on a shelf since 82.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 02:10:28 PM »
Here is a side by side comparison of the two different versions I've found. All of thew service replacements I've seen were the un ribbed version. The twwo versions may have been the results of different providers. Sorry don't know the VIN (and in turn the assembly plant) from which each came :(

Jeff those "ribs" to me look like they could be the product of improper metal flow when stamped(wrinkles). Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 05:52:34 PM »
I talked to the guys who had the first  run of  repo cj heat shields today and they said the first ones were crudely made because they tried to stamp them out using a 1 hit metal stamp tooling . Then they changed tooling metal stamps to a 2 step stamp and they were much better after that. Easy way to tell the first repo cj heat shields is the black front bracket has no ribs stamped on the corner bends and i dont think they had the small screw hole on top of elbow notch to align the s-tube and on some cars i was told the elbow was hitting the shock tower and had to be bent towards the engine after being  installed . The improved second run heat shields and brackets were much better and the reason why we dont see these older first repo run heat shields around is they were installed back 25-30 years ago. I have changed out the repo heat shields on concours cj cars in the past and install originals and its not an easy or a fun job to do with the engine still in the car.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 07:15:58 AM »
Ed it is absolutely amazing how far the sheet metal stamping process has come(from engineering/design  to CNC machining to die tryout)  since I served my tool and Die apprenticeship 40 years ago. When I see repo stampings of parts I can usually see the cost cutting measures implemented in the finished product. Ditto for service parts over the decades. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)