Author Topic: R model guages  (Read 2809 times)

jerry merrill

• View Profile
R model guages
« on: January 07, 2021, 11:23:03 PM »
Does anyone know why the R models and I guess the 66 trans Am coupes had white needles on the tach and other instrument's instead of orange colored like the street cars? It seems that the orange ones would be easier to scan during a race.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: R model guages
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 11:48:46 PM »
Does anyone know why the R models and I guess the 66 trans Am coupes had white needles on the tach and other instrument's instead of orange colored like the street cars? It seems that the orange ones would be easier to scan during a race.
One reason is because that is how the SW gauges came from SW .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

jerry merrill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 12:02:55 AM »
Did the later R models and next years T/A cars use the white or orange needles, if they used white and street cars used orange it just seems strange unless they did not make the other gauges in orange except the oil pressure and they wanted all to match, just always wondered about that.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 12:09:24 AM »
Did the later R models and next years T/A cars use the white or orange needles, if they used white and street cars used orange it just seems strange unless they did not make the other gauges in orange except the oil pressure and they wanted all to match, just always wondered about that.
The SW gauges typically used in the Competition cars (R models)were a standard in the industry. They were used in many different models of competition cars and not just Ford. The street GT350 on the other hand did not use SW gauges. You are comparing apples and oranges.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

jerry merrill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 12:18:00 AM »
I guess that makes sense, thanks for the info.

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 11:30:59 AM »
I’m still confused. Why is the tachometer needle color different on the R model from the street GT 350?

jerry merrill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 12:16:33 PM »
The tach was made for competition use (more reliable?) and was made by a different company

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 12:32:32 PM »
Faria did the street car tachs if I remember. They were done to match the orange needles in the stock Mustang gauges.
R Models probably used off the shelf Stewart Warner tachs that came with white needles.
Somewhere there is a parts list of items added to the R Model that would have the make/model of the tach used.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:38:34 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 02:52:48 PM »
Fellas, I’m sorry but I’m still confused. So just to clarify the discussion for my feeble mind:

1) Jerry, your last posting ends without a period or question mark. Are you asking if the R model Tach was made by a different company or are you stating that it was in fact made by a different company?

2) 98SVT, I was under the impression the tachometer in the R model was the same as the street car(Faria) but just the needle color is white. I’ll look through what I can find from back in the day to see if the Tach is listed as a Stewart Warner piece.

3) Bob, are you saying the R models used S.W. tachometers?

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 03:05:54 PM »
I seem to recall (?) that the S model tachs were ACs but I could be wrong.
My tach is devoid of any mfg ID.
Is there any Faria ID?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 03:07:45 PM by camp upshur »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 03:51:10 PM »
Faria did the street car tachs if I remember. They were done to match the orange needles in the stock Mustang gauges.
R Models probably used off the shelf Stewart Warner tachs that came with white needles.
Somewhere there is a parts list of items added to the R Model that would have the make/model of the tach used.
The 66 street car tachs were Faria. The 65 street car tachs were typically made by AC spark/Delco. The SW gauges were found to be more durable. I think there were some instances where a street car tach was used instead of the more reliable SW unit. Through attrition they were few and far between.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 04:31:30 PM »
The SW gauges typically used in the Competition cars (R models)were a standard in the industry. They were used in many different models of competition cars and not just Ford. The street GT350 on the other hand did not use SW gauges. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Very clever analogy given that apples are white on the inside and oranges are orange on the inside.  Well done.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 01:53:28 PM »

Very clever analogy given that apples are white on the inside and oranges are orange on the inside.  Well done.
[/quote]

as our English blokes would say "well played mate !"

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense