Author Topic: 67 GT500 oil dipstick  (Read 4039 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
67 GT500 oil dipstick
« on: January 08, 2021, 08:41:14 AM »
What is the right part number for this application?

I've got a Scott Drake repop, etched with C70E-6750-A. It is being used with an original Ford Service Part tube. The part number on the Scott Drake package is C70Z-6750-A.

The engine in not in the car. It's on the engine stand being assembled. It has 6 quarts in it, and was primed for 20 minutes or so, has the filter installed, etc,  etc.

The level shown on the dipstick is something like 3 or 4 quarts OVERFILLED, above the Safe Level marking on the dipstick.

In addition, the new dipstick looks like it is way too long for this combination by about four inches?

Is there anyone here that has experience with this situation and offer some help in a solution?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Special Ed

• View Profile
Re: 67 GT500 oil dipstick
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 09:35:58 AM »
The original assembly line 67-68 gt500 dipstick has c7oe  and is FOMOCO stamped then in 69 ford started using the windage tray on cjs and the dipstick markings are different and have a ford stamp. There are no repos of the first version and i been rechroming originals. Also assembly line dipsticks dont have the indent just above the bell on the chrome handle like the ford service replacements do.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 09:41:16 AM »
The original assembly line 67-68 gt500 dipstick has c7oe  and is FOMOCO stamped then in 69 ford started using the windage tray on cjs and the dipstick markings are different and have a ford stamp. There are no repos of the first version and i been rechroming originals. Also assembly line dipsticks dont have the indent just above the bell on the chrome handle like the ford service replacements do.

Are you suggesting that you may have an original available? :-X
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Vcode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 12:10:02 PM »
Some info on the C7OE dipstick here.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-oil-level-indicator

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 03:07:58 PM »
What the issue appears to be is that the C70E-6750-A dipstick is 2 inches longer then the C7AE-6750-A.
That accounts for the incorrect oil level indicated on it right now.

I'm aware of that article and have quoted it several times myself but thank you.

There must be a difference in where the hole for the dipstick tube is drilled on an A block v. a C block necessitating a longer dipstick?

I was not aware of this difference. I can't recall it ever having been mentioned before. Me bad.

What I need is a C7AE-6750-A dipstick. PM me if you have a nice one to sell please?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 05:28:29 PM »
c7ae is painted blue not chrome like c7oe.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 06:43:28 PM »
The dipstick that I have is 20-1/2" (protuberance) and 23-1/2" overall length.

The tube itself is 9-3/4" total length and 2" above the mounting tab.

A longer tube would solve it, yes. This was a service part from a Ford dealer 30 or so years ago. I don't know why I didn't get the dipstick also at the same time.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 07:32:30 PM »
I’m coming up with 10” on the the tubes, depending on how straight they are on several I have here.  Here are a bunch of sticks, top is the D0OE-C, second from top is a C7OE-A Ford service replacement with the dimpled handle and Add 2 Add 1 notations. The other 5 chrome are original C7OE-A with the bottom two having the tips trimmed off some and that’s why they are shorter.  The non-chrome stick is the C7AE-A and is the same length as the (5) C7OE-A originals and the level markings are in the same locations as well.  I’m coming up with ~19-3/8” on the sticks from the tip to the top of the bell for the originals and the DO stick and C7 service stick are longer at a smidge over 20”.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 07:38:09 PM by 430dragpack »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 08:14:26 PM »
It would indicate that the length of mine is ok then so it must be the location of the markings is wrong?

What is the distance to the full marking?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

430dragpack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 08:54:46 PM »
It would indicate that the length of mine is ok then so it must be the location of the markings is wrong?

What is the distance to the full marking?

Original C7’s ~17-1/2 from top of bell to top full circle. C7AE is the same.
Service C7 ~17-5/16 from top of bell to top safe line
D0OE is ~16-1/2 form top of bell to top safe line
The Scott Drake C7OE-A stick I have is ~17-5/8 from the bell to the top safe line. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:17:21 PM by 430dragpack »

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 12:10:24 AM »
430 your info sounds correct   doug i just looked and i have 10 assembly line c70e -a FOMOMCO dipsticks left here as i been collecting them last 40 years when i seen ford service replacements had the dimple on the chrome handle (that u can easy see) and the repo was copied from the ford service replacement until now i see drake made a copy but not the 67-68 version so if u want the real macoy i got some left that i rechromed and some that are original show quality chrome .

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 06:23:59 AM »
430 your info sounds correct   doug i just looked and i have 10 assembly line c70e -a FOMOMCO dipsticks left here as i been collecting them last 40 years when i seen ford service replacements had the dimple on the chrome handle (that u can easy see) and the repo was copied from the ford service replacement until now i see drake made a copy but not the 67-68 version so if u want the real macoy i got some left that i rechromed and some that are original show quality chrome .

I'm still trying to decipher this. I know the amount of oil I put in and the parts that I have all seem right according to the dimensions 430 posted? So what are the other possibilities? Aliens? Dementia? I'm not sure yet. Yikes.

Thanks all for posting and offers Ed.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 11:02:00 AM »
After putting Inspector Cleseau on the case, before he could destroy everything, he was safely removed. He never got here. He went to the wrong location in the wrong country.

All the parts in the assembly seem to be close enough to completely stock as you can get.

I put in six quarts. Two quarts were poured in through the heads and lifter galleries.

The filter was installed dry but the pump was primed for twenty minutes or so and all oiling appeared as expected.

The dipstick currently reads 1-5/8" over the top of the "full" mark. That is almost two full quarts over full for the pan.

The answer that makes the MOST sense is that there is more oil needed to be pumped up into the engine, i.e., the heads, lifter gallery, etc.

I put two quarts up there but that may not be enough.

So the only thing I can do is reserve judgement until I run the engine in initially and then see what drains back into the pan?

Incidentally, the Scott Drake part looks good and authentic even with a Ford logo on it.

Thank you for everyone's input into this. I don't recall having these issues with small blocks or Clevelands? 
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Terry Curry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 05:05:03 PM »
Funny this subject just came up. I have been looking for a dipstick ( I can't seem to find my original tube and dipstick...ugh but after 20 years of having the car apart and moving twice what can I expect) so I would be interested in a dipstick if they are still for sale.
Thank you.
Terry
Email: tigersnakegt@yahoo.com

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 10:00:11 PM »
i have some  extra originals to sell from show to driver quaity chrome and 2  that i rechromed years ago  so how nice  u looking for?