News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Aluminum oil pan prep- coating the inside?

Started by BeaterGT500, January 10, 2021, 11:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeaterGT500

Looking for advice on the best way to prep a vintage cast aluminum COBRA T-pan for my 428.  It's an original "SSS" cast pan from before Branda started casting them.  It's pretty dirty from sitting around for about 45 years or so.  I thought it should be coated on the inside, since it's really porous.  I've never used one of these before, any suggestions on best cleaning methods?  Should I use the Branda oil pump pickup with it?
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: BeaterGT500 on January 10, 2021, 11:24:03 PM
Looking for advice on the best way to prep a vintage cast aluminum COBRA T-pan for my 428.  It's an original "SSS" cast pan from before Branda started casting them.  It's pretty dirty from sitting around for about 45 years or so.  I thought it should be coated on the inside, since it's really porous.  I've never used one of these before, any suggestions on best cleaning methods?  Should I use the Branda oil pump pickup with it?
The original pans are designed to use the stock oil pick up . I don't know why the repro would be any different. You could use glyptal paint to seal the inside if you felt the need. Racers used it to seal the pores of the inside of the block so that oil would flow more easily back into the oil pan. https://www.eastwood.com/glyptal-red-enamel.html
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby