News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Waterless coolant

Started by deathsled, March 30, 2018, 09:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

propayne

Quote from: zray on April 04, 2018, 08:11:46 AM
Quote from: propayne on April 04, 2018, 07:48:58 AM
Some questions (which I know I could go out and find, but I'm lazy)

Should the WaterWetter replace the antifreeze? In other words, you are running with only water and WaterWetter?

Does adding a bottle of WaterWetter to your 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze have any benefit?

Thanks -

- Phillip

Yes, if your local climate ( temperatures ) are above freezing, so there is no danger the block cracking, you can certainly use 100% distilled water plus the water wetter. 

According to the link posted above, there are benefits to using water water with a 50/50 mix.

Note: when I must use antifreeze, the Prestone Low Tox has worked very well in my classics, and it won't kill your pet if they drink some that has spilled via the overflow tube, etc. it's not sweet and pets aren't attracted to it.

Z

Thanks Z - Easy enough to switch to only distilled water and WaterWetter for the summer after the last freeze and then back again early fall.
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

pbf777

We do market the Water Wetter product, and as stated previously, it is popular in many racing formats, but we also have witnessed that this product alone may not provide the same level of anti-corrosion value one may appreciate from the typical anti-freeze products (properly maintained).  Also, I wonder whether or not the water pump seal(s) is lubricated to the same degree for extended periods of time, perhaps 10's of thousands of miles and decades chronologically, as this is rarely experienced in racing programs.   

Scott.

gt350hr

I have run water wetter since it came out . I must admit I have never used distilled water with it. Always tap water. My bad? I have seen corrosion on the water passages on my aluminum intakes. I am going to try norosion with the "specified" "bottled water" , not distilled water as their site suggests. This won't happen until July of this year though. Whenever you have ferrous and non ferrous materials in the cooling system , there is "galvanic action" . I will test norosion to see if their claims are valid unless someone beats me to it.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bigblock

Quote from: pbf777 on April 04, 2018, 10:33:36 AM
    We do market the Water Wetter product, and as stated previously, it is popular in many racing formats, but we also have witnessed that this product alone may not provide the same level of anti-corrosion value one may appreciate from the typical anti-freeze products (properly maintained).

Scott.

An engine builder I know who builds for circle track and boats recommends distilled water, a bottle of Prestone water pump lube/anti-corrosion and two bottles of water wetter. Change out for winter storage.

propayne

I'm on a well here - no way I'd put well water in my radiator  :o

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

mark p

Lots of info that is new to me here - maybe you do learn something new every day.
Thanks!
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

zray

Quote from: gt350hr on April 04, 2018, 12:41:51 PM
I have run water wetter since it came out . I must admit I have never used distilled water with it. Always tap water. My bad? I have seen corrosion on the water passages on my aluminum intakes. I am going to try norosion with the "specified" "bottled water" , not distilled water as their site suggests. This won't happen until July of this year though. Whenever you have ferrous and non ferrous materials in the cooling system , there is "galvanic action" . I will test norosion to see if their claims are valid unless someone beats me to it.
   Randy

You can buy sacrificial annodes for radiator use from Summit, etc.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-32060

Z

deathsled

Interesting.  I will opt for the anode on my new rad!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

gt350hr

I want to get away from something metallic dissolving in my cooling system. I'll be the guinea pig for testing norosion and let everyone know my findings. The only "ferrous' material in the engine/cooling system will be the impeller and shaft. Everything else is aluminum or rubber.

zray

Aluminum block and heads too ?

Z

deathsled

Quote from: gt350hr on April 06, 2018, 12:13:25 PM
  I want to get away from something metallic dissolving in my cooling system. I'll be the guinea pig for testing norosion and let everyone know my findings. The only "ferrous' material in the engine/cooling system will be the impeller and shaft. Everything else is aluminum or rubber.
On second thought maybe I won't opt for an anode. Classic approach-avoidance conflict.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

zray

Quote from: deathsled on April 06, 2018, 02:47:56 PM
Quote from: gt350hr on April 06, 2018, 12:13:25 PM
On second thought maybe I won't opt for an anode. Classic approach-avoidance conflict.

if you have have an aluminum intake and iron heads & block, then you get to decide; do I want my intake to dissolve, or do I want a sacrificial annode to dissolve.  One of those is easily replaceable, and one isn't.

Z

gt350hr

As I mentioned all aluminum except the water pump impeller and shaft. No other steel/iron exposed to the cooling system.

zray

Quote from: gt350hr on April 06, 2018, 03:38:54 PM
  As I mentioned all aluminum except the water pump impeller and shaft. No other steel/iron exposed to the cooling system.

Time for that titanium impeller & shaft you've been dreaming about.

Z