News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Mecum Kissimmee 2021 - Shelbys

Started by silverton_ford, January 11, 2021, 05:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68krrrr

Yea seems like strong money on the Shelby's
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

427heaven

Love em or hate em auctions set the tone for the automotive world. Paying 5.4 million dollars for OL SHELS personal COBRA or 1.1 million dollars for the competition Shelby, could not occur from someones garage saying I want that much. Sit back and enjoy the ride or ahh the show. This is the time for this age group and this group of cars... Remember when Duesenbergs were the thing? Now is the time for entry into this small group of car ownership, before its too late. No one wants to say I coulda, woulda, shoulda, before they check out. Smoke em if you got em... Tires that is! ;)

pchmotoho

Hey Brian, Thanks for the post.  So it's not only BAT thats getting huge money for these cars. Wow! 

FL SAAC

good morning Don

got that right and looks like everyone's spending their stimulus checks...

Quote from: Don Johnston on January 15, 2021, 08:46:22 PM
Unfortunately, the usual result at these prices is that these cars will probably never run on a track, go to any car show if there is a chance of rain and owners may dispute the judges findings at concours events.  Hopefully they are being acquired by SAAC members or members to be and will not be left in hiding. 8)
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Vernon Estes

Quote from: Bigfoot on January 15, 2021, 08:25:11 PM
I think tomorrow is the night for 5S242.
It's a historic car for sure but priced (estimate) like a factory competition car.

Doesn't that seem excessive for a car born a street car that was sitting on the lot as a street car?  Again,,..it's certainly historically significant and deserves a premium for that plus what appears to be a ton or tons (no pun) of originality and paperwork?

Just looking for others opinions ....

Agreed, 242 is an absolutely amazing example...might be appropriately referred to as the "9th drag car" but its not a "factory" drag unit. It was taken to performance associates the same day that it was purchased new at Mel Burns and converted to "Shelby Drag Unit" specs. The originality of that car is outstanding as is the documentation...but the estimate of 1-1.2 is well above what even a factory drag unit would likely bring in today's market.

I have a personal affinity for the drag units having owned 5S327 and 6S018.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Coralsnake

Comment from crotchety old guy coming up.

I think you throw out a couple exceptions and prices are right where they have been for, oh ten years.

Respectfully disagree with "strong money". However, I recall $350,000 1968 KR convertibles.

Take into consideration auction prices usually run 30-40% higher than retail and what do you have?

Sincerely,

Wet Blanket

Vernon Estes

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 16, 2021, 10:09:22 AM
Comment from crotchety old guy coming up.

I think you throw out a couple exceptions and prices are right where they have been for, oh ten years.

Respectfully disagree with "strong money". However, I recall $350,000 1968 KR convertibles.

Take into consideration auction prices usually run 30-40% higher than retail and what do you have?

Sincerely,

Wet Blanket

I agree with King Pete, as usual..

In terms of the 68 350 at 200k...I wouldn't call it "strong" money either...id refer to it more accurately by replacing "strong" with another  "S" word. That said, if the buyer is happy with his purchase, who are we to say otherwise? Hope he likes the car!

The term "strong money", to me, should be applied where rational, experienced buyers/sellers come together in a deal at a higher than typical sale price which reflects the exceptional quality of the subject car. I don't believe that most of the results in Florida yesterday  would fall in that "camp".

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

CharlesTurner

A friend that was there yesterday noted that it wasn't just Shelby's going for surprising $$, but lots of other muscle cars.  Anyone care to comment on that?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Chad

Quote from: DC-DD on January 15, 2021, 05:14:02 PM

I was at the auction and looked over most all the Shelby's
PEOPLE are paying triple crown prices for Drivers and beaters.
I was there as well and I agree 100%

Rukiddin

If the Shelby cars are to considered investment/stocks then there are a lot of fools in the stock market lately. My best advisor sums it up as " a lot of people with a lot of money"
Don't confuse the economy with stocks. Some people with LOTS of money to invest are buying real estate at an alarming rate. Not me...my money is spent  ;)

Quote from: CharlesTurner on January 16, 2021, 11:42:34 AM
A friend that was there yesterday noted that it wasn't just Shelby's going for surprising $$, but lots of other muscle cars.  Anyone care to comment on that?

The feeling that this is the Last Hurrah?

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on January 16, 2021, 02:30:47 PM

Until the next one?

Gave up predicting long ago in any market - my tea leaves just sink to the bottom of the cup.

Sometimes there is a correlation between the real estate, the stock and collectable markets but trends are always much clearer for me, once they are in the rear view mirror.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Rukiddin

People have been telling me for YEARS ,and I should have sold my white elephant Mustangs ( 69 SCJ cars) previous year(s) and I missed the boat.... ;)
Every one of those people sold their cars and regret the loss of use/enjoyment,or just can't afford to buy/own one. Doom/gloom predictions are hilarious ,from my point of view, because I have owned these cars for 30+ years and owe me nothing. I must note that I do make questionable purchases ,like new 31 foot motorhome (viewed by most financial advisors as bad "investment" ) but I enjoy the hell out of it,and THAT is why I buy toys. Duesenburgs and similar classics still have a huge,well funded,following to this day. They are the more enthusiastic about owning than many other "speculators" that don't have the pride of ownership. A more "mature" group ,for sure. Those that view the game "from the stands", are not really in the game.

Quote from: J_Speegle on January 16, 2021, 04:30:28 PM
Quote from: 2112 on January 16, 2021, 02:30:47 PM

Until the next one?

Gave up predicting long ago in any market - my tea leaves just sink to the bottom of the cup.

Sometimes there is a correlation between the real estate, the stock and collectable markets but trends are always much clearer for me, once they are in the rear view mirror.

I was thinking more along the lines of Regulation and taxation of all automobiles.

J_Speegle

Quote from: 2112 on January 16, 2021, 08:01:04 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Regulation and taxation of all automobiles.

Think those things will be implemented into law in steps as its usually done. Certain states or cities first and with the application of social pressure also. Would guess that, like smoking, funds from places like license fees will be used to develop and place PSAs on TV, radio as well as social media. Believe we may find that comparing us and our cars to smokers/cigarettes and the campaigned used in that effort, will be a logical comparison once it's in full swing. 

Add that to rising taxes on fuel, registrations and just straight out outlawing them its all bound to happen – Guess the timing is the tricky part. The combustion engines IMHO have  been losing the special interest and lobbying groups they once had, though they and have become minuscule compared to the funds and number of people on what appears to be the opposite end of argument
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge