News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Scam Problem, paid a Mustang with paypal, need Help

Started by Kent, January 12, 2021, 04:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodster-500

Where is he listing the car and where does he claim to be located?  If nothing else, hopefully you can avoid having him scam anyone else.

Kent

the ad is deleted, we are still doing some research any help would be good for the research on the phone numbers etc.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Rodster-500

Where was the listing?  Craigslist, ebay, ??  What state does the seller claim to be in?

If you wired the funds (or deducted from checking/savings)  :-\

If it is on a credit card, Now is the time to enlist their help. They aren't as crappy as PayPal.

I would now see if your local police can light a fire under his local police.

As others have said, contact your local police.  Once they verify who you are, and what information you have, they can contact the police where the seller is located, as well as enlist the help of any other agencies that may be able to help.

427hunter

Quote from: 2112 on January 12, 2021, 05:04:26 PM

If it is on a credit card, Now is the time to enlist their help. They aren't as crappy as PayPal.

+1

Lets hope you did a credit card transaction and did not use a bank account. Whenever I use pay pal I always use a credit card and eat the 4% transaction fee for the credit card protection.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Quote from: 427hunter on January 16, 2021, 11:38:30 PM

+1

Lets hope you did a credit card transaction and did not use a bank account. Whenever I use pay pal I always use a credit card and eat the 4% transaction fee for the credit card protection.

I thought it was 3%, but I agree, that 4% sounds cheap right now.

Greg

Share the potential scammers name and location and see if anyone on here knows him or can help.  I say potential because some people are just plain lazy and he still has the car but he is jacked up on meth from his new found wealth which would be your best case at this point.   
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

427hunter

Quote from: 2112 on January 16, 2021, 11:56:30 PM
Quote from: 427hunter on January 16, 2021, 11:38:30 PM

+1

I thought it was 3%, but I agree, that 4% sounds cheap right now.

Either way it's worth the cost!

Give us the address and info of the seller, I bet people on this forum live in whatever area needs to be checked.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

pmustang

PayPal only can get back money that is able to be gotten. I.E. if at the time the theft the offender closed his account or had no money in the account, you get no money

Ebay guarantee. Does not apply with Cars purchased in another country

Credit card company will do nothing as it's a third party transaction

I lost a small but not insignificant amount and the Guarantees and promises are useless

And even in my case of being swindled out of a very significant amount of money, knowing the person, having phone numbers, addresses and contacts for that person, having them admit to your lawyer
They owe the money and using a lawyer. You still get nothing

I sure hope you get sorted but unfortunately you will probably
Have to accept the loss

Was the car advertised in Colorado Springs?

Side-Oilers

Old school problem solving:  Round-up the townspeople with pitchforks and torches and go pay the monster a visit. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Kent

If somebody can see the people behind a phone number that would help as I said I have 2 phone numbers. And he dont know that I have the 2nd one.

Is somebody in the houston area (stafford)

Does somebody has whitepages premium? That I can verify the adress and phone numbers
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

Side-Oilers

Kent, I've had some luck with  MyLife.com   

They have more info on a person than about any place I've located, on line.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Kent

I called paypal and I hope they help now, they also will check the account as I think he did more fraud to other people.

I paid it all with credit card yes do you guys think I can get the money back over my credit card?

Good move on the credit card. Get them involved now.