News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Vinegar

Started by Shelby68GT500, March 24, 2021, 10:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby68GT500

Wanted to pass along just how well Vinegar seems to work on cleaning up some parts.  While I had my radiator out to install my hood to radiator support seal, I figured I'd go ahead and replace my upper and lower hoses, as they had been on the car for about a decade.  I was going to toss the old clamps as well, as they were pretty nasty, but when I was told that new clamps were on backorder with no delivery date imminent, I put the old ones all in a bowl with white vinegar and just a little Dawn.  Sat overnight and I was pretty amazed how they cleaned up, look virtually new.  Doubt they are the original style clamps, but I prefer their look to others.  Pics below show the one clamp that was fully submerged, the other was not, and there is quite the difference.  I might be using Vinegar to clean up stuff from now on...
428PI, 4sp, factory AC

CharlesTurner

Vinegar is acidic, so soaking has probably removed the original coating/plating on the clamps... which means if they aren't coated with some type of rust inhibitor, expect to see surface rust.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Shelby68GT500

Charles, thanks for the insight... I'll have to keep an eye on them once they are back installed to see if any rust appears.  They appeared to be galvanized originally.
428PI, 4sp, factory AC

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby68GT500 on March 24, 2021, 10:32:07 AM
Charles, thanks for the insight... I'll have to keep an eye on them once they are back installed to see if any rust appears.  They appeared to be galvanized originally.
I think that the clamps are zinc plated and not galvanized. Regardless of if the weak acidic action of the vinegar striped off the plating or not it is only prudent to give them a coating of rust inhibitor (T9 or one of many) now rather then wait and see if they rust . A little extra time spent now will save time later.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby68GT500

Thanks Bob!  Appreciate the feedback.  Your timing is perfect as well, as I'm putting the hoses back on later today.  I'll give them a coat of that right now...
428PI, 4sp, factory AC

davez

Vinegar works great . Give the parts a baking soda bath to neutralize the acid.
dz