Author Topic: electrical question  (Read 2751 times)

redpony

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
electrical question
« on: January 12, 2021, 03:33:00 PM »
I know electrical issues can be a bear to locate so I thought I'd present this to the folks here - in case someone else had a similar issue so as to help narrow it down a bit before I send it to a shop for analysis.  Thanks, all!

My '68 GT500 was recently put back in running condition - after many years of storage; so it's probably still in the 'working out the bugs' stage. Although the battery was less than a year old, I just discovered it had totally died.  I bought a new battery and when we went to connect it, it sparked a lot more than usual, then heard a ticking sound (no key in the ignition yet).  We put on the headlights - and them, and the interior dash lights - were flickering, in unison with the ticking sound.  My friend pulled some of the fuses out; no change.  The ticking appears to be coming from the dash - driver's side. Any thoughts as to where we should focus our efforts first would be greatly appreciated!  (the battery is now disconnected on a trickle charger, since I presume whatever the cause of the ticking is what may have caused the last battery to die prematurely - I did not hear it prior to connecting the new battery, though, but it is possible I wasn't listening for anything - thanks, again!)

TLea

• View Profile
Re: electrical question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 03:40:32 PM »
Is your tilt away mechanism grounded? (bolted to under dash)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 04:14:03 PM »
Ticking sound is most like a circuit breaker cycling on and off because of a dead short. Headlight switch has one built in ,there is one of the fog lights also. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 04:37:50 PM »
Good luck, keep us posted on your finding and post some pictures of your car.  ;)

When you do find the issue, I would recommend investing in a battery disconnect or just disconnect the battery while the car is not being used.

redpony

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 11:32:48 AM »
Thanks much to all! My friend, who discovered the problem, and is way more mechanical than I'll ever be - won't be back in the area for awhile - but I have forwarded all of your suggestions to him for when he comes back.  Thank you, again!  As for photos - well, she's a little rough.  :-)  It's been in storage for pretty much all the years I've owned it - since the 70's.  I'm hoping to some day - after it's safe and truly road worthy - to then take it to a body shop to have the 'personalization' done by the previous owned 'cleaned up' - then it will be ready for photos. :-)  [ps: thanks for the suggestion regarding disconnecting the battery when the car is not going to be in use for awhile]

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 07:33:00 PM »
Thanks much to all! My friend, who discovered the problem, and is way more mechanical than I'll ever be - won't be back in the area for awhile - but I have forwarded all of your suggestions to him for when he comes back.  Thank you, again!  As for photos - well, she's a little rough.  :-)  It's been in storage for pretty much all the years I've owned it - since the 70's.  I'm hoping to some day - after it's safe and truly road worthy - to then take it to a body shop to have the 'personalization' done by the previous owned 'cleaned up' - then it will be ready for photos. :-)  [ps: thanks for the suggestion regarding disconnecting the battery when the car is not going to be in use for awhile]

We are a family here in the 68 Shelby world....... nothing too rough to share and only support to fellow owners.  I for one would love to see your car.  I don't care how rough, the 68's are the best.  ;D

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 08:56:38 PM »
There is a voltage regulator for the gauges behind the dash. Also the Ammeter? I'd also look at the voltage regulator up front

redpony

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 09:39:14 PM »
There is a voltage regulator for the gauges behind the dash. Also the Ammeter? I'd also look at the voltage regulator up front

Thanks, Cobrask8.  I think mine are in the console -  the clicking sound was definitely near the driver's side dash.  We thought the clock - but it hasn't run for years; unless it's trying to start again :-)  He did pull some of the larger amp fuses - but we probably should try all of them next time.

redpony

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 09:41:31 PM »

We are a family here in the 68 Shelby world....... nothing too rough to share and only support to fellow owners.  I for one would love to see your car.  I don't care how rough, the 68's are the best.  ;D

Ok - maybe I'll get brave for your guys! lol! 

Rodster-500

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 10:43:26 PM »

Ok - maybe I'll get brave for your guys! lol!

Trust me, your car will be appreciated!  We love them all and so glad to see new cars that have been hidden away.

Shelby68GT500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 11:03:26 AM »
Is your tilt away mechanism grounded? (bolted to under dash)
RedPony, I completely agree with Tim on this.  I fought a draining battery issue for years.  Everytime I would connect the battery, I would get a spark and hear an odd sound from the firewall area for just a second or two.  Could never figure out what or where that sound was coming from.  One day, while up under my dash looking into something else, I had a friend connect the battery.  Right in front of my eyes I saw the problem.  My mounting hardware for my fog light switch was contacting the tiltaway actuator, causing the sound I was hearing. Fixed the mounting hardware issue and I've not had a battery issue ever since and I keep it hooked up 24/7/365.
428PI, 4sp, factory AC

redpony

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 08:36:42 PM »
I'm glad someone just added to the post - I realized I forgot to update you all.  I know you all were on pins and needles waiting - lol!  After poking around 'everywhere' my friend determined  the problem was in the emergency flasher switch!  Who would have thought - since the flasher was in the off position.  Apparently there was just enough of a connection (corrosion/old age) that it was causing the electrical system to consider it active - even though it was off and the lights were not flashing.  He switched it on and off several times; the clicking stopping and the no sparks coming from the battery any more.  :-)