Author Topic: 1965 65' GT350 #13 at Mecum  (Read 3039 times)

1965 65' GT350 #13 at Mecum
« on: January 13, 2021, 11:14:40 PM »
Hi, Does anyone here have any information on this car ? I am driving up to go look at it tomorrow as I have been looking for the right no stories 65.

A

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
Re: 1965 65' GT350 #13 at Mecum
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 01:22:19 AM »

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 10:51:21 AM »

no stories?
be very wary of terms like 'prototype' or 'one of xx'.
oft times these are terms to pull a neophyte's eye off of the ball.
if a Shelby doesn't have a -say a Shelby engine- how 'Shelby' is it? might want to check closely on this car.
it IS a prototype of a 65 Shelby with many non 65 Shelby items. some, like the aforementioned items in the cited thread, are basic ersatz replacement parts, others, like say the shifter, are simply incorrect - where lookalike facsimiles could have been substituted and perhaps passed off as 'original' ... or better yet 'prototype'.
there is also no record of this car being equipped the Crager wheels, or 15x6 steels for that matter, so check the safety bead on those rims to see if they are repros.
also be very wary of the 'Registry', for those of us who were here prior to the 'Registry' and contributed to the first edition, know that it is simply a compendium of  casually solicited pap. subsequently republished ad nauseum to give an illusion of veracity. 3x5 index cards passed out a COCOA meeting in my case. there was no verification or fact checking. subsequent unattributed 'editing' has been farcical.
Aspenburghound, somebody may well drop serious coin on this car. if it is you, you may be well advised to know, or hire one who knows, Mustangs and specifically 1965 GT-350s in all of their nuance, prior to being relieved of you money. many still yearn for a 'no stories' 65 and encounter crafted salesmanship. good luck.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:03 AM »

no stories?
be very wary of terms like 'prototype' or 'one of xx'.
oft times these are terms to pull a neophyte's eye off of the ball.
if a Shelby doesn't have a -say a Shelby engine- how 'Shelby' is it? might want to check closely on this car.
it IS a prototype of a 65 Shelby with many non 65 Shelby items. some, like the aforementioned items in the cited thread, are basic ersatz replacement parts, others, like say the shifter, are simply incorrect - where lookalike facsimiles could have been substituted and perhaps passed off as 'original' ... or better yet 'prototype'.
there is also no record of this car being equipped the Crager wheels, or 15x6 steels for that matter, so check the safety bead on those rims to see if they are repros.
also be very wary of the 'Registry', for those of us who were here prior to the 'Registry' and contributed to the first edition, know that it is simply a compendium of  casually solicited pap. subsequently republished ad nauseum to give an illusion of veracity. 3x5 index cards passed out a COCOA meeting in my case. there was no verification or fact checking. subsequent unattributed 'editing' has been farcical.
Aspenburghound, somebody may well drop serious coin on this car. if it is you, you may be well advised to know, or hire one who knows, Mustangs and specifically 1965 GT-350s in all of their nuance, prior to being relieved of you money. many still yearn for a 'no stories' 65 and encounter crafted salesmanship. good luck.

"Shelby engine" no it's a Ford 289, service parts come and go with a car over time - only the unibody in the end really is the car. As far as "numbers matching engines", a stamp set + a regular 289 block and any non numbers car magically becomes numbers matching...Beware falling into the parts trap, IMO what matters is the unibody being all original. I don't care if every "number matches", if the body is not the one that left SJ then you don't have the car.   
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 12:08:55 PM »
"Shelby engine" no it's a Ford 289, service parts come and go with a car over time - only the unibody in the end really is the car. As far as "numbers matching engines", a stamp set + a regular 289 block and any non numbers car magically becomes numbers matching...Beware falling into the parts trap, IMO what matters is the unibody being all original. I don't care if every "number matches", if the body is not the one that left SJ then you don't have the car.   

+1
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 02:47:37 PM »
There is an age old argument of engine v sheetmetal. Usually those with one attempt to denigrate the other. Basic human nature.

At its essence each each car is an assemblage of casting and stampings. Some from Ford, some from Shelby, and some from Ford and specifically reworked by hands-on Shelby American personnel to enhance their characteristics. The total of these efforts by SAI are somewhat believed to be what differentiated a 65 GT-350 from a 65 271hp Ford Mustang 2+2.
There is a significant difference in price between a stock Mustang piece (or entire vehicle) and a piece which can be demonstrably demonstrated to have come on a Mustang from Ford and to have been reworked/enhanced at Shelby American. Elaborate efforts at replication and reproduction have been taken over the years -with good reason- to reinstate the appearance of originality and/or try to capture the 'mystique' associated with the hand done modifications done at Shelby American.
This thread pertains to 1965 GT-350s. My car had absolutely zero modifications done to its sheet metal by Shelby American. They are generic (albeit date coded) Ford parts (offhand there were three additions to its external appearance: grille trim center, rear GT -350 plaque and the addition of a hood). Paint was applied as well. The sheet metal itself was virtually untouched or enhanced by SAI.
When I drive my car w its unique engine I’m driving a specific engine know only to my car as prepared by Shelby American.  It’s a central part of the ownership experience.  It is the cars personality. The SAI prepared 306 hp engine not found in any Ford parts manual nor some forlorn Mustang donor car.

I encourage all owners -now whilst there is still time- to learn exactly when/where their car was manufactured by FoMoCo and locate/purchase a donor Mustang. I recently assisted a 65 owner who purchased a third week April Milpitas Mustang off of Craigslist for 3k complete (but rough).  Talk about sheet metal. Exact date coded spare doors, fenders, glass, hinges, suspension components, etc and perhaps most importantly: fasteners.
For a GT-350 worth 2 to 4 (large) it’s worth the storage space.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:51:04 PM by camp upshur »

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 09:51:35 PM »
There is an age old argument of engine v sheetmetal. Usually those with one attempt to denigrate the other. Basic human nature.

At its essence each each car is an assemblage of casting and stampings. Some from Ford, some from Shelby, and some from Ford and specifically reworked by hands-on Shelby American personnel to enhance their characteristics. The total of these efforts by SAI are somewhat believed to be what differentiated a 65 GT-350 from a 65 271hp Ford Mustang 2+2.
There is a significant difference in price between a stock Mustang piece (or entire vehicle) and a piece which can be demonstrably demonstrated to have come on a Mustang from Ford and to have been reworked/enhanced at Shelby American. Elaborate efforts at replication and reproduction have been taken over the years -with good reason- to reinstate the appearance of originality and/or try to capture the 'mystique' associated with the hand done modifications done at Shelby American.
This thread pertains to 1965 GT-350s. My car had absolutely zero modifications done to its sheet metal by Shelby American. They are generic (albeit date coded) Ford parts (offhand there were three additions to its external appearance: grille trim center, rear GT -350 plaque and the addition of a hood). Paint was applied as well. The sheet metal itself was virtually untouched or enhanced by SAI.
When I drive my car w its unique engine I’m driving a specific engine know only to my car as prepared by Shelby American.  It’s a central part of the ownership experience.  It is the cars personality. The SAI prepared 306 hp engine not found in any Ford parts manual nor some forlorn Mustang donor car.

I encourage all owners -now whilst there is still time- to learn exactly when/where their car was manufactured by FoMoCo and locate/purchase a donor Mustang. I recently assisted a 65 owner who purchased a third week April Milpitas Mustang off of Craigslist for 3k complete (but rough).  Talk about sheet metal. Exact date coded spare doors, fenders, glass, hinges, suspension components, etc and perhaps most importantly: fasteners.

So what number car do you own?

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 04:23:22 PM »
$455,000 Hammer
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 05:27:11 PM »

You completely contradict yourself talking about the easy in which you can get Sheetmetal yet somehow believe a 289 + cam, intake, carb, and headers can't be obtained?

The unibody is the car like it or not and the whole point of my post was to inform a potential buyer to beware the numbers matching air car, which are out there fully restored.

You also like to crap on the registry, but the info they have is more accurate then not and for a buyer it's priceless to know what skeletons are in the closet.

You claim to have a perfect all original untouched 1965 gt350, what number is it? / or is your beef with the registry over your car?

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown