News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

When did OTT LeMans stripes become a thing?

Started by 2112, January 13, 2021, 11:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I agree Van. Yeah, the plates are off topic, but it was a picture of OTT stripes that brought the subject up.

A subject that may or may not deserve it's own thread. If this somehow brought us more information about the two cars in the picture (a new picture to most of us) then it would be a big win.

honker

This car (#2800) might have been on the old forum ?

another example of day 2 stripes.

From the 2011 registry says the car is still in barn find condition, any updates ?

(photos: no credit given)

PS: bottom one  another I have in my files, stripes look narrower on the roof ?

Richstang

Quote from: honker on March 30, 2021, 04:56:35 PM
This car (#2800) might have been on the old forum ?

another example of day 2 stripes.

From the 2011 registry says the car is still in barn find condition, any updates ?

(photos: no credit given)

Tom Cotter is credited with finding this one. Last I heard he still owns it in the same condition.
Flat Black Rally Stripes over the top are different
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

mark p

nice to see that ^^^
Thanks for posting the link.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

shelbydoug

Well first off, it's a nice piece but personally I'd like to see more credits, like who is the author of the article?

The illustration of the stripe dimensions is Jeff Burgy's. How about a credit there?

I admit that I have to laugh that EVERY time I read or hear the references to "correct Shelby Lemans stripes", I automatically start looking for the taper as Jeff illustrated.

Those dimensions are for the first generation cars and there are no "correct" dimensions for a '67 because there are no factory applied '67 stripes. Lots of video game owners here I suppose that would refer to those cartoons as "original"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

mark p

^^^ it's the internet... we don't need no stinkin' credits or sources (or facts?)  ::) ???

I don't recall ever hearing the bit (or seeing a photo) about Pete Brock having those stripes on a '46 Ford... anyone have anything further on that? ...is it even true?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

SFM66H

And then there's this theory (note the Shelby features!):

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

TOBKOB

1969 GT350 owned since 1970

CSX4781

Good article about Pete's 46 Ford. Didn't know there were this many photos of it.

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Pete_Brock%27s_1946_Ford

Dave

jguyer

Quote from: mark p on April 14, 2021, 10:59:24 AM
^^^ it's the internet... we don't need no stinkin' credits or sources (or facts?)  ::) ???

I don't recall ever hearing the bit (or seeing a photo) about Pete Brock having those stripes on a '46 Ford... anyone have anything further on that? ...is it even true?
I hate going to links.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

Don Johnston