News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Desert cooling radiator option 1966

Started by deathsled, March 31, 2018, 02:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Well I went and plunked down some money to buy an original nos desert cooling option rad from 1966 an apparently rare option that has 3 cores. Said rad was found left for dead in a closed Ford dealer. I'm excited to add it to big red.
My biggest fear: The rad ends up as a religious artifact instead of going in the Shelby and I offer the rad saucers of antifreeze every April 17th as a sacrifice to the Goddess of Antifreeze.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

J_Speegle

Cool never seen one installed in a Shelby (originally or after by an owner)  only a fair number of Mustangs 

It should be a conversation piece to say the least since they are so physically different looking
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

deathsled

Exciting times await.  NO Evans coolant will be used.  Going mainstream with a 50/50 mix and maybe an anti corrosive additive.

Wow, Where did you find an NOS radiator, especially that one?

Always amazed Ford didn't use maximum strength radiators for all their HiPo Mustangs. Always seemed to go with the bare minimum to get the job done.

6s1802

J_Speegle

Some pictures of the 66 "desert cooler" radiator

Believe they were all built so they could be used in automatic equipped cars

Unlike typical San Jose radiators these had markings on the side strap

And a different style of the top tank stamping

A NOS "kit" that was offered a while back. Maybe the one deathsled purchased

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

deathsled

Acquired on ebay.  I will post when it arrives.  There are artifacts out there.  As I've said on prior occasions, my car is a day eleventeen car so making it as I want it isn't so tragic.  Besides anything I add is mere bolt on, bolt off.

deathsled

Blackcar

Jeff, any idea as to how many of these made it into production cars ?

6s1802

J_Speegle

Quote from: preaction on April 01, 2018, 02:15:34 PM
Jeff, any idea as to how many of these made it into production cars ?

66 Mustangs?  Not many since not really needed and of course no records kept of these things. Think I've likely seen a dozen to a dozen and a half San Jose cars with them over 45 years or so . Never one originally in a NJ or Dearborn 66.

outlawincorporated

Jeff

ive had 2 unrestored cars both San Jose 66 GT coupes, 1 auto 1 manual both with air con and tinted glass options one delivered to Arizona originally and one purchased from Oceanside in California.

both cars had the desert cooler radiator and over the years I have found 2 of these radiators in Australia in junk/spare parts collections and purchased one from a contact in California. not the nicest looking radiator but a lot more effecticent than standard radiators found on shelbys and mustangs from the 66 production year.

pity all my current cars are 66 NJ examples so not really correct application for those mustangs

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.

J_Speegle

Quote from: outlawincorporated on April 02, 2018, 12:18:58 AM
Jeff

ive had 2 unrestored cars both San Jose 66 GT coupes, 1 auto 1 manual both with air con and tinted glass options one delivered to Arizona originally and one purchased from Oceanside in California.

Did the one on the manual car have the fittings for the automatic transmission cooler hook up?

deathsled

Big bad rad has arrived.  Very pleased with this fantastic artifact.  Like the Arc of the Covenant.