News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

And Now For Something From The 'In Your Dreams' Category

Started by BGlover67, January 24, 2021, 10:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

Hi 2112,
Tom Gale and others in the Chrysler design team were responsible. 

IIRC, the legend goes that Lutz, Gale and Francois Castaing talked "what if" while Gale sketched it out on a bar napkin.  CS might have been there too.  But, I wasn't, so I can't say definitely. 

Others here may know more.

I have a handful of snapshots I took of the chassis, the body and the wood V-10, but they're in some box somewhere in my garages.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

98SVT - was 06GT

SA in Whittier was a skunk works for Chrysler. They were doing a lot of oddball what if projects. I remember a minivan being converted to 4WD. They were using a Corvette IRS bolted to the floor of the van. I ended up with 2 sets of 16" BBS wheels with Goodyear Gatorbacks for my minivan from that project. I was there one day and CS saw them on my van and said they were the first set and the offset was wrong. He gave me another set with a different offset. I was amazed he was hands on enough that a set of wheels would stick in his mind. I would suspect the chassis was merely one with the proper dimensions to hold the mock up engine and be used by Chrysler Styling to finish a concept body on.

Don Johnston

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 28, 2021, 08:12:51 PM
Quote from: Cobrask8 on January 28, 2021, 10:56:02 AM
I've got this wonderful bridge for sale. Lots of stone work, easy access, used gently....
I'm guessing you met Robert McCulloch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_(Lake_Havasu_City)

I see the connection now.  London Bridge was brought in by Robert Paxton McCulloch , formerly of Paxton Industries, which developed the supercharger option for use on 1966 and later Shelby GT350 and a couple of notorious Cobras.  So maybe the bridge should have been in the painting next to the Viper.

Oh, well.  At least we have a new standard for a CS signature.  Save your signed dash or visor.   8)

FL SAAC

Quote from: Don Johnston on January 28, 2021, 09:40:45 PM
I've got this wonderful bridge for sale. Lots of stone work, easy access, used gently....

I see the connection now.  London Bridge was brought in by Robert Paxton McCulloch , formerly of Paxton Industries, which developed the supercharger option for use on 1966 and later Shelby GT350 and a couple of notorious Cobras.  So maybe the bridge should have been in the painting next to the Viper.

Oh, well.  At least we have a new standard for a CS signature.  Save your signed dash or visor.   8)

The London Bridge genie has heard your desires and granted your wish...shazam !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

427heaven

I am guessing that your story is a little off. The McCulloch corp. Is actually derived from the Chain saw empire, remember them? They became MCO properties in which they were a major land holder out west back in the day, and still are! If you are a fellow HOT BOATER which I am, the place to be each summer is at the BRIDGE. You will find the fastest most spectacular boats ever to be conceived on planet earth. Not to mention some good looking people as well. OOOOH thats the place to see and be seen- Check it out!!!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 427heaven on January 29, 2021, 09:09:16 AM

I am guessing that your story is a little off. The McCulloch corp. Is actually derived from the Chain saw empire, remember them? They became MCO properties in which they were a major land holder out west back in the day, and still are! If you are a fellow HOT BOATER which I am, the place to be each summer is at the BRIDGE. You will find the fastest most spectacular boats ever to be conceived on planet earth. Not to mention some good looking people as well. OOOOH thats the place to see and be seen- Check it out!!!

McCulloch invented what became the Paxton. At one point they were even called McCilloch-Paxton Superchargers.  http://vs57.y-block.info/history.htm

McCulloch themselves reported in 1955 that Benson Ford had driven a McCulloch powered Thunderbird and was very impressed, and also reported in early 1956 that more than 50% of the VS57 supercharger installations were to Ford Thunderbirds. Regardless, at some time in 1956 Ford were shown the direct oiled VR57, which would have been at, or near, the end of it's development life, and ready for production, and were sufficiently impressed that they wisely engaged McCulloch's Paxton Products for an exclusive one year contract for the VR57.

BTW The bridge added to the painting makes the same mistake McCulloch did (despite the denials of todays rewritten history). That is the Tower Bridge.