News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Front sway bar size & bushings

Started by shelby001, March 31, 2018, 03:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelby001

What is the proper size of a `68  Shelby G.T 500  front sway bar & bushings. Any suggestions on where to get the replacement bushings?

Thanks 

Coralsnake

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelby001 on March 31, 2018, 03:39:11 PM

What is the proper size of a `68  Shelby G.T 500  front sway bar & bushings. Any suggestions on where to get the replacement bushings?

Thanks
Typically the way I see the assemblyline type rubber bushings (not polyurethane) is as a kit which includes the bolt ,nuts, washers ,and sleeves . Brant sells the 68 version at Virginia. If you just want the bushings just look at the glass as half full and consider the extra parts in the kit as a bonus. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelby001

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 31, 2018, 04:47:06 PM

Thanks
Typically the way I see the assemblyline type rubber bushings (not polyurethane) is as a kit which includes the bolt ,nuts, washers ,and sleeves . Brant sells the 68 version at Virginia. If you just want the bushings just look at the glass as half full and consider the extra parts in the kit as a bonus. ;D

Thanks 
  So what is Brant A Mustang parts dealer  ?                         

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelby001 on March 31, 2018, 06:58:30 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 31, 2018, 04:47:06 PM

Thanks
Brant is a frequent contributor to this forum and has Virginia Classic Mustang.

Thanks 
  So what is Brant A Mustang parts dealer  ?                         
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Scott Fuller

Make sure you have the correct sway bar brackets too.

Tried to post a photo but get an error, "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator."

Scott

Mike Shally

I'm the original owner of a very early GT 350 with a build date of Nov 21 1967 and have a smaller 7/8" sway bar.
This car is a strike car and early the start of Shelby production, production being behind because of the strike  the sway bar was installed then there was no attempt to change... it just to keep production moving or the error was never caught???
Is there anyone else that has a similar sway bar on their car?
original owner, 68 Shelby judge, MCA Gold Card Judge, MCACN Shelby Judge

shelby001

Is that on a GT 350 or GT 500 & what is your production date?

dbegley

I have a question for you guys concerning sway bars since this is the topic. I have replaced all the tired suspension pieces on my  68 GT350. Surprising what time does to coil springs and leaf springs. I did not replace the sway bar on the front. Do sway bars reach an age where they also should be replaced? Is 50 years that age?

I need to add that I was more than pleasantly surprised with the results. My car is actually fun to drive now. Funny what you get use to. John at OpenTrack where I got my parts really stressed replacing my front coil springs. I got his shorter performance springs. I was worried my wider tires would rub the fenders with the shorter springs. The car actually went up an inch. Similar situation on the mid eye rear leaf springs.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: dbegley on July 31, 2018, 01:19:43 PM
I have a question for you guys concerning sway bars since this is the topic. I have replaced all the tired suspension pieces on my  68 GT350. Surprising what time does to coil springs and leaf springs. I did not replace the sway bar on the front. Do sway bars reach an age where they also should be replaced? Is 50 years that age?

I need to add that I was more than pleasantly surprised with the results. My car is actually fun to drive now. Funny what you get use to. John at OpenTrack where I got my parts really stressed replacing my front coil springs. I got his shorter performance springs. I was worried my wider tires would rub the fenders with the shorter springs. The car actually went up an inch. Similar situation on the mid eye rear leaf springs.
I have never heard tell of having to replace a front sway bar because of age or fatigue. Sway bars are not subjected to constant stress like leaf springs and front coils. I know some that open track their cars change out to a 1 inch or 1 1/8  size after market bar but that would be overkill on anything but a track driven car.FYI the 67/68 bar is unique and rare . Hold on to it.

Coralsnake

Shallys car is really early, likely before anyone knew the procedure. Its likely an anomally and not a trend.

If anyone else has this, let him know, until then, he is a lonely unicorn

dbegley

Thanks Bob. I have no reason to think my sway bar needs replacing, but after realizing what 50 years of stress did to those front coils and rear leaf springs, made me wonder.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 31, 2018, 01:37:15 PM

I have never heard tell of having to replace a front sway bar because of age or fatigue. Sway bars are not subjected to constant stress like leaf springs and front coils. I know some that open track their cars change out to a 1 inch or 1 1/8  size after market bar but that would be overkill on anything but a track driven car.FYI the 67/68 bar is unique and rare . Hold on to it.

The 1-1/8" front bar is from a production Ford Granada. It is hardly overkill on a street car.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 31, 2018, 10:03:20 PM

The 1-1/8" front bar is from a production Ford Granada. It is hardly overkill on a street car.
I thought we were talking Shelby Mustangs here not Granada's. 1968 Shelby GT350/500/500KR (like the category heading) is what my post is in reference to .

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 31, 2018, 10:19:48 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on July 31, 2018, 10:03:20 PM

I thought we were talking Shelby Mustangs here not Granada's. 1968 Shelby GT350/500/500KR (like the category heading) is what my post is in reference to .

Sure, but you made a reference to what is streetable and what is not. In the view of accuracy, I thought that was relevant? 1-1/8" stock bar on a Granada is a comparable application.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!