Author Topic: 65 R replica vintage racer on ebay - Opinions please.  (Read 14989 times)

ITHERTZ

• View Profile
    • Custom Show Boards
Re: 65 R replica vintage racer on ebay - Opinions please.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 10:30:11 AM »
That might be one of the best ebay ads for a vintage Mustang I've ever seen.  That maintenance book and all the details inspire confidence if I was a buyer.  What I don't know is the amount of repair this car has had since new.  Prior rust, prior damage, etc.  Not a deal breaker if done properly, but original sheet metal cars are hard to beat in value and enjoyment.

I like this car and the presentation very much.  I will tell you this, I sold my '65 fastback (GT350 clone) so I could buy a late model Shelby.  I quickly realized how easy it was to overdrive the faster, newer car beyond my limitations.  I think this '65 would be a HOOT of fun, and it seems quite streetable as well.  The engine is mild, so it will be easier to learn how to drive fast with it.  This car won't allow you to be lazy for even a second - where the speed can overcome your concentration and awareness of what's going on.  You will be connected to it and the road in ways you have never experienced (I know you have a '68 and this car is a completely different animal).  You will stink and need a shower after each drive, your neighbors will know your comings and goings at all times, and you will love every minute of it.

I don't think there is any comparison between this car and a new Ford/Shelby.  They fit different needs.  The new cars are a dime a dozen.  I like my 06 Shelby, but I would trade it back for my '65 I had in a heartbeat.  I had much more fun driving the old fastback.  When properly set up, these older Mustangs are really fun, they hold their value and the smiles they bring to the drivers, passengers and observers are unbeatable.  The only car that I've had more fun driving is a Cobra roadster.

Hard to tell on value, but if you could buy this car for $40-$50K from a proper owner like this I think you are in the winning range.  You may have to spend more if you really want it (nothing wrong with that), but there aren't too many good examples out there with known good histories offered by their owners. 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:33:27 AM by ITHERTZ »

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »
And Cobras don't get beyond limitations in a hurry?  ;) just teasing.

I don't think a car this nice will trade at less than $50, and would not be surprised if it gets around $60k

BTW, I looked up R3 and there are stories out there that describe problems for buyers.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 11:40:01 AM »
  Those little round stickers are from Cobra Owners club open track events here in So Cal. The fact that it has been to so many indicates "to me" a reliable open track car and the pictures certainly indicate that ( again to me). Nicely done , ready to race , reasonable price.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

SFM5S159

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 03:26:59 PM »
This looks like a really well prepared street/track car.  I can tell you first hand it's somewhat stressful to vintage race an authentic '65 GT350.  I've often thought about building a replica and this is great start.  You'll likely not run in the front of the pack if you do decide to race this car as-is, but it looks to be a very well done compromise of a street/track car.  I can tell you many times I wished that my car was streetable.  Also, it's damn hard to campaign a car and keep it looking this nice.  Most are tattered and show some battle scars. 

I should buy this car and warehouse mine! 

Personally the early cars are what I like.  I have no interest in a late model and don't think its an easy comparison. 

Mike C
'65 GT350, '67 GT500, '65 289 Cobra

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 04:29:09 PM »
It's at $45,200.00 and that's a sweet deal.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 05:00:38 PM »
  Still less than the cost to build and it's fully sorted. Plug and play so to speak.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 06:11:10 PM »
I'll jump into the fray when it comes to old versus new.

I have a 2017 Shelby GT350R, and I absolutely love it...no matter how much 2112 hates the front end.  ;D  It's a fantastic car that is unbelievably refined; yet, it's the most visceral modern car I've ever driven.  I LOVE the exhaust note and I love driving it.

However...

As some of you may have seen from my posts in the Replicas and Tributes section, I'm in the process of building (having built - WAY past my skillset) a restomod GT350R that pays homage (somewhat  ;D) to the 1965 GT350R.  My intentions are to drive the wheels off it on the street, and (just for fun) take it around a track or two...even down the drag strip.  Why not?

The reason I mention all this is due to the following:  I'd rather drive my 1967 Shelby GT350 any day of the week versus my 2017 GT350R.  Do I dislike the new R?  I LOVE the new R!  However, it just can't turn my crank (pun slightly intended) like the 67.  As you all know, there is something REALLY special about driving a classic.  And, my hope with the GT350 restomod is to (somewhat) combine forces while leaning heavily to the vintage side.

If it were me, I'd rather race a vintage car all day long.  It's the reason why people like vintage wines, old cameras, etc...classic cars have such character, and nothing takes command of all my senses like driving a classic.  Truly, if I wasn't already building my car I'D buy this thing!

Just my 2 cents.  :D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:25:02 PM by Shelby_0022 »
Nothing beats a classic!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 10:06:02 PM »
1) Reuben, I love your 350R from the Radiator support back!   ;)

2) What is the old adage? It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than drive a fast car slow!

Of course the car on eBay is only slow to the more serious racers and modern cars, but it reinforce the point everyone here seems to be making.

3) I will be shocked if this car sells at the current bid.  Remember it is and auction, and things usually get worked up at the end. Plus, I think they said they reserve the right to sell locally at any time.

Edit; the reserve seems to be met at $50K so it might sell in 5 days

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 01:51:34 AM »
That might be one of the best ebay ads for a vintage Mustang I've ever seen.  That maintenance book and all the details inspire confidence if I was a buyer.  What I don't know is the amount of repair this car has had since new.  Prior rust, prior damage, etc.  Not a deal breaker if done properly, but original sheet metal cars are hard to beat in value and enjoyment.

Hard to tell on value, but if you could buy this car for $40-$50K from a proper owner like this I think you are in the winning range.  You may have to spend more if you really want it (nothing wrong with that), but there aren't too many good examples out there with known good histories offered by their owners.
You make allot of solid points Troy.  Car is now at $50k and moving up fast.  I wonder where the ceiling might be?

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 03:49:51 AM »
I'm going to stick my neck out here and call a touch of BS auction

50k and five days to go... Sorry but no

I watch a ton of auctions and IMHO real auctions stay low-ish until the last day or so...

I could be totally wrong but this looks alot like many auctions I watch that bid up, sell and get reposted for months

I'm only looking on my phone but I can't see the perfection others are seeing

I could be totally wrong of course 

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 07:57:31 AM »
My guess is the reserve is 75.  I'm not sure if that's even a break even point?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

ITHERTZ

• View Profile
    • Custom Show Boards
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 09:13:18 AM »

I watch a ton of auctions and IMHO real auctions stay low-ish until the last day or so...

I could be totally wrong but this looks alot like many auctions I watch that bid up, sell and get reposted for months

+1

However....perhaps there is something to the quality of this particular listing/presentation that defies normal?  By the time I clicked on the ebay ad the first time the bid was around $45K and there was no reserve mentioned.  My red flag radar goes up a bit when a quality car get's offered on ebay with no reserve and a reasonable starting bid.  I'm not saying it isn't possible (because I've seen them and the ones I know about have been legit), but it just makes me pay attention in a different way.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:28:26 PM by ITHERTZ »

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
To those that have never built a car or had one built,don't have an understanding of the time,money and effort that goes into creating these cars. Someday just sit down and compile a list of hard parts necessary for the build. Engine ,trans,suspension,brakes exhaust,rear ends,shop labor rates etc, After having done this you will see that a 50k build gets to that number frighteningly quick! ;)

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »

That's what I was thinking as well.  Anything that ever interested me on ebay always led me to bid once, early in the auction and then place my final bid in the last 20 seconds of the auction.

I agree, I've seen many other auctions that seem to run their course and said items appears to sell only to see the same item get relisted a few weeks later.

Ebay is full of this kind of shill bidding but so is Barrett Jackson, Mecum and all the other big auction houses.  In the end it's a game and  you better be prepared to play or sit and watch.

QSS
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:56:37 PM by QuickSilverShelby »
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »
  I doubt this local So Cal owner is doing any shill bidding , he's just trying to sell his car.