News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65 R replica vintage racer on ebay - Opinions please.

Started by QuickSilverShelby, March 31, 2018, 04:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: gt350hr on April 03, 2018, 04:15:43 PM
  I doubt this local So Cal owner is doing any shill bidding , he's just trying to sell his car.
Didn't mean to offend anyone and I apologize if I have done so.  I guess the reason for my post was to see if anyone here knows the owner or the car.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

gt350hr

I'm sure I have met him casually at a local club meeting. The picture of him is familiar. I doubt Craig Conley knows him but I have been wrong before.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Shelby_r_b

What's interesting is that this car never had a reserve.  Usually, cars are bid up that have a reserve, much like at regular auctions.

Either way, it still looks like a good deal...that's without having seen it, of course.  ;)
Nothing beats a classic!

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Shelby_r_b

You've got that right! It's over $65K and there are still 4+ days left in the auction.  :o
Nothing beats a classic!

I am starting to wonder. From everything I have seen, that is approaching the top of the market for a clone.

That, or somebody is in love. Correction; 2 guys are in love.

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: deathsled on April 04, 2018, 06:44:26 PM
Just checked again. Car is no longer available.

Yep. She's gone from listing.

I wonder if we'll see it relisted? This happens sometimes when the shill bidding outreaches the value. Or, maybe it was bid up to drive a private sale.

Interesting.
Nothing beats a classic!

QuickSilverShelby

Well it wasn't me.  I was interested in the car until it hit $65k then my commitment quickly evaporated. 

Any body else have a similar car they want to sell?

QSS

427heaven

He who asks shall receive... Look on Ebay right now in the 65 mustang section you might find something you like! Bid up to 25k might be in line with your budget. Probably not near as fast as the other one but it probably would put just as big a smile on your face as the other one. ;) Good Luck

QuickSilverShelby

I just received an email from the seller and he told me the car is sold.  Damn!!!! I thought a 65 R clone racer would be valued much lower than $65k.  Maybe I'm a dreamer.

Whatever, ....... I'm onto my next muse.  Who knows what that might be but it's out there somewhere and I'm on it.

QSS

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on April 05, 2018, 03:19:51 AM
I just received an email from the seller and he told me the car is sold.  Damn!!!! I thought a 65 R clone racer would be valued much lower than $65k.  Maybe I'm a dreamer.

Whatever, ....... I'm onto my next muse.  Who knows what that might be but it's out there somewhere and I'm on it.

QSS

Did it sell privately for $65K? If not, did the seller mention the final price?
Nothing beats a classic!

427heaven

Usually on those deals if someone is not bidding, or falls way short of bidding anywhere near what the item is valued at, no info is shared for good reason. This eliminates the contenders from the pretenders... Read serious, or just wasting time. :-\

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: Shelby_0022 on April 05, 2018, 10:51:42 AM
Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on April 05, 2018, 03:19:51 AM

QSS

Did it sell privately for $65K? If not, did the seller mention the final price?
No it did not sell.  I've talked with the owner of the car as well as the gentleman who is in charge of selling the car for the owner.

Here is what I was told:

- During the ebay auction a buyer approached them about ending the auction early and they agreed on a price.
- I was told the price that they agree on was in the low $70's.
- Ebay auction was ended and buyer sent a deposit.
- Buyer goes dark for a week or two and then reappears.
- Buyer couldn't come up with funds to complete the deal and asks for his deposit back.
- Sellers of the car refuse to give deposit back and they end their dealings with the initial buyer.
- Sellers of the car then approached the 2nd top bidder, after things fall apart, and the 2nd top bidder informs sellers he has already bought another car so he wasn't going to be a buyer.
- Sellers have decided to relist on Hemmings 2 days ago.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/shelby/gt350cr/2101399.html

I spoke with the owner of the car yesterday for at least 1/2 an hour.  We had an excellent exchange and an in depth conversation about the car and some discussion of our life philosophies.   I believe he is a very honest guy. 

I'm not sure where I stand on this car but I am not a buyer at the current Hemmings price or even at the low $70's price.  We'll see what happens I guess.

QSS

ITHERTZ

Thanks for the update.  eBay experiences on both sides can be very challenging.  I've heard lots of stories, and many are quite difficult to believe.