News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Hood to radiator rubber seal

Started by Shelby68GT500, January 16, 2021, 05:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby68GT500

Recently picked up this rubber seal and was wondering if anyone had insight on how to install this, using the original staple holes thru the top of the radiator mount.
Thanks, Bob
428PI, 4sp, factory AC

mr68shelby

With the new seal in place, I used a fairly large sewing needle clamped in vise grips to go through the original holes in the metal and then through the new seal to mark where the staples go. From the bottom up. I put masking tape on the seal to help see where the needle goes through. Seem like I did one staple at the time.

For me, it was much easier with the radiator out. Especially when it came to bending the new staples. That was pretty much a two person job in itself. If you don't remove the radiator, you have to get really creative bending the legs on the staples in the center.

Also some of the original staples would have one end that did not punch through the metal.

Hope this helps. And hopefully someone knows an easier way! Mike

Shelby68GT500

Mr68Shelby, Thank you so much sir for your post...  Your process worked like a charm!  I finally got around to putting the seal on just a couple of days ago.  I went ahead and pulled the radiator and battery to get better access.  Used the needle just as you described and was able to get the seal installed.  Original staple points almost seemed random in placement on the radiator support, and I did have to open the staple holes up ever so slightly to get the staples to make it thru.  Staples I had received with my new seal seemed to be just a wee bit larger in gauge than what was original, but no way for me to tell, as my seal was long gone before I bought the car.  All in all, once everything was removed, only took about an hour to complete.  Definitely want to remove the radiator and battery, would have been virtually impossible to get more than maybe 2 staples in and bent underneath without their removal.  Looks so much better now...  Thank you again!
428PI, 4sp, factory AC

mr68shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: mr68shelby on March 29, 2021, 10:01:20 PM
Glad to help! Mike
I've done 2 with the radiator out(68 and 70 Shelbys) and I clamped the seal down and drill holes through the rubber and mounted the staples as I went along using the existing staple holes. Disregard the caution fan stickers as they  have been long gone  ;D . Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)